Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Low light /w 5D Mark II

Hey guys, i recently bought a Canon 5D Mark II with a standard kit lens and a 50mm f/1.4.

The majority of my shooting is indoors and at clubs.What do you think is the best / cheapest lens that i could equip, for low light shooting, other than my 50mm?

Here's an example, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_MbELkJszU

You can see i'm already pushing the iso pretty high, and my aperture is wide open.

Re: Low light /w 5D Mark II

I'd recommend the 85 f/1.2 It's got a pretty fast focus and an extra stop over your 50. Don't bother with the 50 f/1.2 because its focus is super slow.
    Jim R

Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

I think that post is spam.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Question Re: Low light /w 5D Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by jesse
    Hey guys, i recently bought a Canon 5D Mark II with a standard kit lens and a 50mm f/1.4.

The majority of my shooting is indoors and at clubs.What do you think is the best / cheapest lens that i could equip, for low light shooting, other than my 50mm?

Here's an example, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_MbELkJszU

You can see i'm already pushing the iso pretty high, and my aperture is wide open.
    This is a "youtube" video and doesn't show any examples of your photography, I am afraid I would agree with Greg that it looks like SPAM.

WesternGuy

Bah, I actually try to be helpful rather than sarcastic and this is what I get!
    Jim R

Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

This is interesting. The person who posted the videos has (partly) the same name as our poster so let's imagine it's the same Australian waiter or something. His chosen medium is video and not stills which of course the 5D MkII can do. It would be a legitimate post for the Canon section - except that he's not doing photographs he's doing video.

Looking at the example video this was obviously not done on the 5D with 50mm. The view is almost always quite long telephoto (100mm upwards), picking out details for sequences of 1-2 seconds then splicing them together to make a narrative. So the 85mm is a good suggestion, but something longer might be better. I think he's going to have a problem with focus on a moving subject. Say he uses a 135mm f2 at f2 then the depth of field is going to be small and the camera won't autofocus while shooting video.

This is getting interesting. I (again) resisted the temptation to buy a D700 this afternoon. If I can one day have a D800 that shoots video and can autofocus while shooting video then that's another reason to hold out and wait for the next generation.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I think this is a legit, but less than perfectly written request. The poster re-posted on the video forum with more relevant information. Personally, for club videos, I'd go wide and I'd be looking at the 16-35mm f/2.8. Unfortunately, it's not cheap. Cheap is always a problem when you're pushing the limits.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information