Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

question about aperture

I am new to photography so please be paitent with me. I am looking at EF lenses for my canon but noticed that the aperture is either fixed or a very small range unlike other brands that i have looked at. How do you change the depth of field for these lenses if its a fixed range or say 4-5.6 that doesnt give you much room to play with ? any help to clarify this would be great I dont want to purchase the wrong lens

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Re: question about aperture

Don't worry melissa. Most companies, Canon and the other major player Nikon included, only state the maximum aperture in the lens designation. If you look at the full lens specs the minimum aperture is usually stated in a separate section.

When you have an aperture range in the lens designation (ex. f/4.5-5-6 in the case of the 100-400 IS, or 3.5-5.6 in the case of the 18-55mm) it is referring to the variable maximum aperture across the zoom range. The first number is the maximum aperture on the wide end, the second at the long end. You still have a large adjustment range after that.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Smile Re: question about aperture

So what your saying is the aperture is manually adjustable on say 4.5-5.6 or is this something automatic in the lens. What would you recommend for just everyday shooting, kids, landscape, etc.. indoors and outdoors.. now a lens that says fixed 1.8 or something like that then you are stuck with the 1.8 not adjustable.. i guess i am just used to my old lenses where there is a pretty large range of aperture settings for example 4.0-22 (not sure of exact number just making a point here) i am curious how to change the depth of field to blur a background and have the subject in focus.. there must be a technique that i havent come across yet for fixed aperture lenses..
    thank you for your help

Quote Originally Posted by deckcadet
    Don't worry melissa. Most companies, Canon and the other major player Nikon included, only state the maximum aperture in the lens designation. If you look at the full lens specs the minimum aperture is usually stated in a separate section.

When you have an aperture range in the lens designation (ex. f/4.5-5-6 in the case of the 100-400 IS, or 3.5-5.6 in the case of the 18-55mm) it is referring to the variable maximum aperture across the zoom range. The first number is the maximum aperture on the wide end, the second at the long end. You still have a large adjustment range after that.

Melissa, these numbers are not the only setting you have on aperture.
    On the Canon 100-400 IS f/3.5-5.6, at 100mm, the biggest aperture is f/3.5 and when zoomed to 400mm the biggest aperture setting is f/5.6. But you can choose to set the f-stops higher and most will go to f/22.
    My Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8, my biggest aperture setting from 50mm to 150mm is f/2.8. But I can go as high as f/22. I was at a middleschool track meet and I used f/9 aperture setting.
    My Canon 50mm f/1.8 prime, biggest aperture setting is f/1.8 but I have set the aperture to as high as f/22. Can't remember if it can go higher but have used f/22 apeture setting.
    When you look at an ad, they usually only give the biggest aperture setting and assume you know that the aperture can be set smaller.

Hope this helps, Heck, maybe it only confused you more
    Newbie here
    rovowen

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Welcome to the Forum Melissa. A fixed aperture lens means the the maximum aperture of the lens is fixed. So if you have a zoom lens, say the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 lens, it means that your max. aperture is f/2.8 at every focal lenght. This can still be adjusted from f/2.8 to f/22.

Put a lens on your camera, and set it to aperture priority mode (A). Then use the dial on your camera to select the aperture that will give you the depth of field that you want.

There are some mirror lenses on the market that are also fixed aperture lenses. These are different than regular lenses. These lenses only have 1 aperture, and it can't be adjusted. It's usually f/8. These lenses are usually manual focus, and pretty inexpensive.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thank you i totally understand it now. It kind of stumped me for a while. So i am thinking of either a 24-70mm L or the 28-70mm L and then the 50/f1.8 EF not the L.. just as standard lenses for everyday use. I was reading that the zoom 24/28-70 was not as clear from 50-70mm as say a prime lens like the 50mm. has anyone experienced this. I would rather spend the money now and get something that is great quality then have to deal with a lens that has issues.

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Welcome to the Forum Melissa. A fixed aperture lens means the the maximum aperture of the lens is fixed. So if you have a zoom lens, say the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 lens, it means that your max. aperture is f/2.8 at every focal lenght. This can still be adjusted from f/2.8 to f/22.

Put a lens on your camera, and set it to aperture priority mode (A). Then use the dial on your camera to select the aperture that will give you the depth of field that you want.

There are some mirror lenses on the market that are also fixed aperture lenses. These are different than regular lenses. These lenses only have 1 aperture, and it can't be adjusted. It's usually f/8. These lenses are usually manual focus, and pretty inexpensive.

I have the 24-70mm f/2.8L and the 50mm f/1.8 and I think both lenses are great. I don't know of any 28-70mm L lens, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. Do you mean the 28-105mm?

Prime lenses are generally a little sharper than zoom lenses, but I haven't noticed any difference in my 24-70mm and 50mm. I use these lenses for different things, so I haven't done a side by side comparison, but I have been thrilled with both lenses.

Be sure to check out the review section on this site to see what others have said about the lenses you're interested in.

http://www.photographyreview.com/reviewscrx.aspx
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I thought i saw some 28-70mm lenses on ebay but that might just be an error on the seller. i cant believe the prices they are getting for used lenses. you can buy new ones for about $30.00 more then the used ones on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    I have the 24-70mm f/2.8L and the 50mm f/1.8 and I think both lenses are great. I don't know of any 28-70mm L lens, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. Do you mean the 28-105mm?

Prime lenses are generally a little sharper than zoom lenses, but I haven't noticed any difference in my 24-70mm and 50mm. I use these lenses for different things, so I haven't done a side by side comparison, but I have been thrilled with both lenses.

Be sure to check out the review section on this site to see what others have said about the lenses you're interested in.

http://www.photographyreview.com/reviewscrx.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by melissa
    i cant believe the prices they are getting for used lenses. you can buy new ones for about $30.00 more then the used ones on ebay.
    Yeah, I love watching the uninformed on ebay. I have seen some used lensed go for more than a new one. Makes you wonder what people are thinking... I guess they have more money than brains.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I've actually thought I might buy some lenses from adorama or b&h or someone and then sell them on ebay.
    Actually did do such a thing with a certain hard to find motorcycle manual that I found a place was selling new ones for 35 bucks and I got as high as 150 for one on ebay. I didn't feel bad because it took a lot of researching to find the book.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

The Canon 28-70 f2.8 is an older lens that was replaced by the popular 24-70 f/2.8 in 2002.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_28-70mm_lens
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

You could probably do that and make a few bucks. The only thing is ebay fee's will probably kill all your profit and then paypal will take the rest.. how nice of them !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    I've actually thought I might buy some lenses from adorama or b&h or someone and then sell them on ebay.
    Actually did do such a thing with a certain hard to find motorcycle manual that I found a place was selling new ones for 35 bucks and I got as high as 150 for one on ebay. I didn't feel bad because it took a lot of researching to find the book.

Thread Information