Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

XTi + Rain = No go?

Hey all,

I'm headed to the Sea Otter Classic (MTB festival+races) tomorrow, and the forecast for Monterey is light rain. Need I be worried? Is it alright to take shots in the rain with the XTi (stock lens) or is it a no go?

thanks
    matt

Re: XTi + Rain = No go?

My XT does fine in a light rain. If you're worried about it, and you happen to have an old pair of rain pants around, cut one of the legs to length and get a pair of decent sized rubber bands. A low-tech solution to be sure, but it works. I've cut a hole where the adjustment wheel is, and fitted it with a closeable flap. Zooming isn't what it could be, but it's about as cheap a solution as you'll find- much cheaper than fixing the water damage!

-Joe U.

Tel

Or just a trash bag or shopping bag?

Canon Digital Rebel with Quantray 19-35 F3.5-4.5 basically Glued on. :P

Some claim they do OK in light rain, but if it were me I'd get some rain gear for the camera and lens. Non-Pro gear doesn't do well with rain, cold or humidity.
    JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

I shoot with mine in the rain all the time. In fact, I am at Sea Otter and expecting to get rained on today. The one thing I've done to protect my gear is buy a larger raincoat that I can zip over my camera when I'm not shooting. But I don't worry about getting raindrops on it. I have yet to have camera problems because of rain, and I've done a lot of shooting in a lot of rain.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Light Rain and the trash bag/rubber band or equivalent, should be fine. It's not a type #1 so don't push it.
    A couple of 20D's and some good glass
    My galleries www.pbase.com/jpferguson

Quote Originally Posted by setiprime
    Light Rain and the trash bag/rubber band or equivalent, should be fine. It's not a type #1 so don't push it.
    I've been pushing it for years. Why stop now?

I shot in pouring rain with my XTi on Saturday and had zero problems. I've been doing the same thing with cameras that aren't supposed to be capable, for years and years. The worst thing that happens is you have to take them back to your motel room and dry them out good. My 28-135mm IS has had water coming out of it for hours on more than one occasion. People underestimate what these cameras can take. I actually have an EOS-1D and on Saturday it never even came out of the bag.

I'm seriously thinking about dumping the 1D and seeing if I can live with 2 or 3 XTi bodies for a year. I can always rent a 1D, if I need the speed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XTi + Rain = No go?-_mg_8028.jpg  
    Photo-John

The one - The only

John, I kept my eye on you and your XTi at the Otter. I was surprised to see you shooting with it in the rainy weather, but you're right about the thing being a great little package. I honestly think the thing is a beast it's a good size (small), takes worthy pics, has a great self cleaning sensor, and fast autofocus. I'm thinking of getting one to take on rides rather than lug my 1DMKII.
    Dave
    My SportsShooter Page
    My Gallery

Canon Digital Gear

Hell Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by BLS439
    John, I kept my eye on you and your XTi at the Otter. I was surprised to see you shooting with it in the rainy weather, but you're right about the thing being a great little package. I honestly think the thing is a beast it's a good size (small), takes worthy pics, has a great self cleaning sensor, and fast autofocus. I'm thinking of getting one to take on rides rather than lug my 1DMKII.
    Because the high ISO performance and resolution are so much better than my 1D, and it's so much lighter, I didn't want to stop using it. Plus, there was a point at which I decided I wanted to see what would happen if I just kept using it in the rain. John Karr was using an XTi and a 20D and his gear probably sees more abuse than anyone else's. He said that his 20D just quits sometimes, in the rain. But he just dries it out and it works fine again. That gave me confidence. I'm seriously thinking of seeing what will happen if I live without a 1D for the year. If I really need one, I can just rent it. But mine almost never gets used anymore.

Did you post any photos?
    Photo-John

john,

Thanks for the suggestions! On Saturday, I shot the Pro DS practice, rain hadn't started yet. Then when it was pouring, I ended up chilling in the Sixsixone tent, and then the Camelbak tent, so it was good ;) Rain stopped just in time for the Sport 15-19 DH finals my friend was racing in. Overall I was REALLY impressed w/ my camera (XTi, stock 18-55 lens). I have caught the bug! I'm saving up for a more zoom lens, I'll have to post for suggestions for that later I'll post some of my pics in the sports forum later.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I shoot with mine in the rain all the time. In fact, I am at Sea Otter and expecting to get rained on today. The one thing I've done to protect my gear is buy a larger raincoat that I can zip over my camera when I'm not shooting. But I don't worry about getting raindrops on it. I have yet to have camera problems because of rain, and I've done a lot of shooting in a lot of rain.
    You da man!
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Thread Information