• 11-18-2010, 09:03 AM
    CaraRose
    Hrm... best crop sensor cameras for high ISO?
    So I'm beating the heck out of my XSi, and am starting to think that down the road a year or so I'm probably going to want to get a new camera.

I want to stick with crop-sensor. I think my main issue with the XSi has been handling of high ISO. It's barely usable at 800 and anything at 1600 is pretty much unusable. Looking at cameras like the 60d, 7d, Ti2... is there any difference in noise at high ISOs?
  • 11-18-2010, 09:10 AM
    Photo-John
    Re: Hrm... best crop sensor cameras for high ISO?
    Cara-
    The 7D, 60D and T2i all basically have the same sensor and image quality. And yes, they will be better than your XSi at higher ISO settings. I have an XSi that I mostly use in the studio or as a backup and my 7D is definitely better in low light - a lot better. ISO 800 is totally useable and ISO 1600 is ok in a pinch. But If you want better image quality right now you'll need to either go to a full frame sensor or start thinking Nikon - I haven't had one to test yet but I would bet that the new D7000 blows my 7D out of the water. Nikon has one on the way so I'l find out soon.

If you want to compare image quality for yourself, there are full-size studio sample photos from both the XSi and the 7D in our Digital Camera Sample Photos archive.
  • 11-18-2010, 09:43 AM
    CaraRose
    Thanks, PJ!

Good to know they're all the same sensor. Quality high ISO is really my main concern right now when looking to upgrade. For the most part the XSi's been serving me really well, despite all the bumps and scuffs and large, heavy lenses I've put it through :).

I've got too much invested in Canon to switch to Nikon at this point. I did a brand change once when I went from Minolta film to Canon digital, and that was hard enough that I still, years later, have all my Minolta equipment that I never, ever, ever use anymore.

Full frame I just think is still down the road for me. I drool over the 7d but honestly think most of its features will be beyond my skill set. Trying to decide if there's anything the 60d really gives me that I'd use that the Ti2 wouldn't for the extra $300 or so.
  • 11-18-2010, 09:56 AM
    Photo-John
    Yeah, switching brands isn't really practical for most of us. And even if Nikon is producing better image quality right now, Canon will keep improving and will likely take the lead again at some point.

I don't know if you saw it, but here's a link to my Canon EOS 60D announcement article: http://reviews.photographyreview.com...lt-swivel-lcd/

I'd love to replace my XSi with a 60D - mostly for the tilt-swivel LCD, which I would always use in the studio. It would also be great for shooting my box-opening and camera review videos.

Here are a few EOS 60D features I think you would appreciate:
    • Excellent weather-sealing - Canon told me it's as good as their top-of-the-line EOS-1V 35mm SLR.
    • 5.3 FPS burst rate - significantly faster than the T2i
    • Built-in electronic level

I'm pretty sure those features *aren't* included in the T2i. However, the T2i is still a great camera. For outdoor photography and tripod work, the 60D is definitely going to deliver more, though.
  • 11-18-2010, 10:11 AM
    OldClicker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CaraRose
    I've got too much invested in Canon to switch to Nikon at this point. I did a brand change once when I went from Minolta film to Canon digital, and that was hard enough that I still, years later, have all my Minolta equipment that I never, ever, ever use anymore.

What Minolta lenses do you have? - Terry
  • 11-18-2010, 11:02 AM
    CaraRose
    Quote:

Originally Posted by OldClicker

Not as much as I now have for Canon... I can't remember all off the top of my head but -- Minolta 50mm 1.8 (love that lens), 70-300mm (4-5.6), 35-70mm 'macro'...

Also have a phoenix super wide angle I should probably beg someone to take, LOL.
  • 11-18-2010, 11:32 AM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by OldClicker

I was going to mention the extra reach benefits of the APS-C sensor vs full frame but I didn't want to take the beating that I know Terry would dish out :wink5:
  • 11-18-2010, 12:33 PM
    OldClicker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I was going to mention the extra reach benefits of the APS-C sensor vs full frame but I didn't want to take the beating that I know Terry would dish out :wink5:

And who says old dogs can't teach new tricks. :) Terry
  • 11-18-2010, 02:06 PM
    Photo-John
    Canon EOS 60D Deal
    I can't vouch for this being legit, but I just came across an offer for the Canon EOS 60D at $900. It comes from someone on Twitter that I consider a reliable source, though.

http://bit.ly/9dLAaG

I'm tempted...
  • 11-18-2010, 02:36 PM
    CaraRose
    I've seen it for $999 with an instant rebate, but not $900.
  • 11-18-2010, 06:04 PM
    photophorous
    You can get a 5D Mk II for about $2200-2300 now, taking rebates into consideration. Buy a Pixma 9000 Mk II printer with it for $400 and get a 400 rebate, then turn around and sell the brand new printer for $2 or 300. Then sell your XSi, 18-55, 55-250, and the Tokina, and you're somewhere around $1100-1300. That's pretty much what I did a few months ago and I only wish I'd done it sooner. I know that may still be out of your price range, but I just wanted to mention it, because it didn't cost me as much as I thought it would. Now I can shoot in a lot of situations that were never an option with my XSi and I don't think I'll have the urge to upgrade for quite a long time.

Paul