Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Thread: Help

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

Question Help

I have a Canon 50D and the 100 to 400 slider lens seems to be stuck on the camera ! Any suggestions? To make matters worse, this is a lens borrowed from a friend!

Re: Help

Hi Lori, just like to clarify this situation you have...because I have a 100-400 on my 5D and I am having a hard time visualizing how it could get stuck on my camera - it's a bayonet mount. What exactly is stuck? Is the lens itself stuck on the mount to the camera, or is it the "slider" that is stuck? Let us know. Thanks.

Cheers,

WesternGuy
    Never memorize something you can look up. - Albert Einstein

The lens itself is stuck, push the button, turn the lens and it doesnt release (

Quote Originally Posted by Lori11 View Post
    The lens itself is stuck, push the button, turn the lens and it doesnt release (
    Ouch!! a number of things come to mind...all or none of which may be relevant, but here goes...things to check, some may seem stupid or crazy, but any port in a storm so to speak...these are things I would try if it was mine...not any specific order...

1. is the button pushed all the way in, just checking, because if the lens was not mounted correctly so that the locking mechanism did not engage properly, then the locking mechanism maybe "jammed" some how and pushing the button may not disengage it properly, check to see if, when you push the button in, will the lens turn clockwise, i.e., the same direction that you turn it when you are putting the lens on the camera. Will the lens turn or move at all, and if so how much and in which direction?

2. try pushing the lens against the camera as hard as you can, push the button to disengage the lock and see if that will work.

3. try the opposite, pull the lens away from the camera as you push the button to disengage the lock and see if that gets you anywhere.

4. if you hold the lens firmly without pushing the "button", can you wiggle it back and forth enough so that you can hear the "locking pin" move in the "lock", if it will move you should hear a faint but audible sound of the locking pin hitting the side of the locking "hole" in the lens.

5. Question in passing...does the camera still take pictures with the lens "jammed"?

6. This isn't the best suggestion, but if you push the button to unlock the lens, can you use a bit of leverage on the tripod collar for some added twisiting "power", BUT be VERY CAREFUL if you do this, you do not want to break the lens mount or the camera mount. If it doesn't move, don't force it!!

7. If you have a Canon dealer (a good one) available, then I think I would be tempted to take it to the dealer and see if they can be of any help.

8. Phone a Canon repair depot and ask to talk to a technician and explain the problem - they may or may not give you advice over the phone.

Lori, that is about all that comes to mind right now. Post back with the results and maybe that will help narrow the root cause even further.

WesternGuy

P.S. One other thing that came to mind was to see if you can find a thick elastic band that will fit around the lens and see if having this extra traction helps. I sometimes use this trick when I have a filter that won't come off the lens easily - I wrap a thin rubber band around the filter and use that for extra leverage...

Thanks, I will try all of this but I think Im taking it to a shop, my fear of breaking it is huge. The camera takes photos perfect, I shot about 12000 ove the past 2 weekends (race photos) with no problem. I will keep you posted! Thank you!!!

Probably the best thing. Let us know if they fixed it and maybe some idea of what the problem was. Thanks and good luck, here's hoping you can get this fixed.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Oh it HAS to be fixed, its a borrowed lens!!!!!!! Dont make me cry lol

Any word on this lens. I'm curious to know what happened.

Not yet, Im going today, been swamped with work (good problem to have!) I promise to keep you posted

I called Canon....."Umm, I have never heard of that before" I said of course you havent lol anyway, took the camera, lens attached, to be delivered to the owner of the lens so she could shoot this weekend...the guy I dropped it off with, managed to get the lens off! The glue under the plastic cover had softened and shifted ( I was shooting on a track with 126 degree temps) so it had become "stuck" in the wrong spot...the lens is finally off, perfectly fine, as is the camera thank god, but the plastic will need to be replaced. Here is the pic (taken with a friends cell, sorry)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information