Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Has anyone bought a canon 5D (with nothing but the body)?

I am debating buying a Canon 5D from a cheaper company, such as bestpricecameras.com. I am fully aware that the camera comes on it's own. There are no cables, batteries, manuals or box. I am not interested in any of these extra components, as I already have cables, batteries and chargers, as I already shoot Canon. I only need a body that has a higher megapixel.

Has anyone actually gotten a camera from these places, and if so, what condition was the camera in?

I have read some of the threads where clients were pressured into buying extra things. I have not read anything about anyone actually receiving the product, and if they did, what condition it was in.

Thank you all for your responses. I would rather save $1000 on a body, then get cables and papers that I don't actually need.

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Re: Has anyone bought a canon 5D (with nothing but the body)?

Quote Originally Posted by clauka
    I am debating buying a Canon 5D from a cheaper company, such as bestpricecameras.com. I am fully aware that the camera comes on it's own. There are no cables, batteries, manuals or box. I am not interested in any of these extra components, as I already have cables, batteries and chargers, as I already shoot Canon. I only need a body that has a higher megapixel.

Has anyone actually gotten a camera from these places, and if so, what condition was the camera in?

I have read some of the threads where clients were pressured into buying extra things. I have not read anything about anyone actually receiving the product, and if they did, what condition it was in.

Thank you all for your responses. I would rather save $1000 on a body, then get cables and papers that I don't actually need.
    Getting a new camera ta $1000 below what others are offering? Repeat after me: "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." Rinse. Repeat. Stick with a reputable mail order company such as the places that support this site.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

I don't believe you can really buy a camera like you're talking about. It's just a ploy to squeeze you for more money. I would bet that if you said you wanted the "body only," they'd say it wasn't in stock. They're game is to charge you $300 for all the "accessories" that actually come in the box. There's no way they'd actually take all of the cables, manuals, software, and battery out of the box and sell you just the camera body.

You need to take a look at the Best Price Cameras thread on our Camera dealer Feeback forum. Read some of those posts and you'll stop considering buying from them: http://forums.photographyreview.com/...ad.php?t=10918

I recommend shopping by delaer reputation and not price. Shopping by price is a very bad strategy when you're buying electronics online. There are wayyyyy too many bottom feeders.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Please check www.resellerratings.com before you buy.... you are about to be scammed if you buy from that store...
    Ross Mealey of TRJ Photography
    Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum Staff Photographer
    National Press Photographers Assn. Member (NPPA)
    Canon, Sigma, Mamiya, Toyo,and Rodenstock-Sironar

My Railroad Photography

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I don't believe you can really buy a camera like you're talking about. It's just a ploy to squeeze you for more money...
    No doubt. When you buy "just a body", be it film, digital, or whatever, that actually means, BODY, CAP, CABLES, MANUAL, SOFTWARE DISC, BOX, WARRANTY CARD, etc., etc., etc.

That's the bare bones package. Anything LESS than that with a promise of a much lower price means the "retailer" has messed with the manufacturer's original product, and IMO means they're trying to pull a fast one...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

The best deal on the 5D I've seen is the canon refurb units at Adorama (http://www.adorama.com/ICA5DR.html?s...05d&item_no=35) I have had mine since January and am loving it. It looked just like new, the shot counter was on something like 75 or something so it had been used but barely. I've had no problems with it and Adorama is a very reputable seller. If you want to save a few hundred go that way.
    www.DigitalMTB.com
    www.alandavisphoto.net
    "There are no honorable bargains involving the exchange of qualitative merchandise like souls, for quantitative merchandise like time or money." -William S. Burroughs

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

In the UK I used Canon's own refurbished OUTLET store on ebay.
    I got a 1D for around £1000 below list that way.
    Boxed, all accessories and cables, and a year's Canon warranty.
    So when the shutter needed replacing after failing at le Mans it was free
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

i think what the OP is talking about is ordering from one of the bait and switch retailers. He is fully aware they sell a bare-bones package with nothing that's supposed to come with the camera, and that they will try to hassle him to buy more. He's going to refuse and just try to get the body. I don't think it will work. Most of the companies that do this are devious enough that they just will never ship the body if you don't go along with their game. And even if you do have batteries and whatnot, you probably still want a warranty, especially if you are planning on buying from a shady dealer. I'm one to pinch pennies, and I don't even think its worth it.

Coffee0

how does one become a dealer

Thread Information