Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Compare 400D to 30D and older EOS cameras

I have a Rebel XTi (400D) and am thinking of upgrading. I'm not interested in spending the money for a 5D so that's out. Is the 30D really an upgrade (8.2mp vs 10.1mp). I know the build quality is better but will the images be any better? How about some of the older models like the 10D or older 1D. How important are megapixels when it comes to image quality?

Re: Compare 400D to 30D and older EOS cameras

Quite frankly it will be an upgrade... but not so much that you would want to consider it maybe at this point... you will certainly gain a bit on the AF engine capabilities, the build, fit and finish, and importantly physical size is an upgrade...

megapixels account for a little... but I could routinely print 13x19 with my original 1D with little loss to the images... and thats 4mp... shot with a 10D-IR-Only for a while... and it was pretty decent... did 13x19 perfectly...

When you reach a point as to where you are its important that you shoot well... more importantly then having the best camera or best lens...

If anything for now if the physical charactoristics of the 30D arent that important to you I would spend the cash on some new and better glass (IF you need or want it)... glass makes probably 10x more difference in IQ than a camera will anyways...
    Ross Mealey of TRJ Photography
    Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum Staff Photographer
    National Press Photographers Assn. Member (NPPA)
    Canon, Sigma, Mamiya, Toyo,and Rodenstock-Sironar

My Railroad Photography

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I have a Rebel XTi (400D) and am thinking of upgrading.
    Why?
    What are you looking for in the replacement?

I'm not interested in spending the money for a 5D so that's out.
    Is the 30D really an upgrade (8.2mp vs 10.1mp).
    [COLOR="Blue"]I doubt you'd notice the difference because of the MP.
    Though at the extreme high ISO I would expect the 30D to be better./COLOR]

I know the build quality is better but will the images be any better?
    Is it?
    How is the build of 30D vs 400D better?
    Only the 2x longer shutter rated life of the 30D.

It is different certainly.
    Joystick and control wheel (like the 1DmkIII) on the 30D.
    Arrow keys and button on the 400D.

If you need to change settings fast, then the 30D may be better.
    If you need fast (5fps) burst then the 30D is better.
    Spot metering on the 30D.
    Bigger, brighter viewfinder on the 30D, do you manual focus?

How about some of the older models like the 10D or older 1D.
    I think the 400D is better than the 10D.
    For me the dust prevention measures are important.
    Which is why I'm thinking of the 1DmkIII
    If there are enough people like me who might sell older 1D models
    Then watch the 1DmkII second hand prices and see if they go low enough.
    I would get a 20D over a 10D, it's got almost all the 30D features.

How important are megapixels when it comes to image quality?
    Not as much as you'd think from the marketing.
    I'd rather have 8 great megapixels than 10 not so good.
    If the sensor size is the same, then 8MP ought to be better quality than 10MP.
    Lens quality matters a lot.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...s400d&show=all
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    I know the build quality is better but will the images be any better?
    [COLOR="Blue"]Is it?
    How is the build of 30D vs 400D better?
    Only the 2x longer shutter rated life of the 30D.
    Magnesium Alloy Vs. Plastic, better finish, better size and balance (nothing to do with build quality)
    Ross Mealey of TRJ Photography
    Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum Staff Photographer
    National Press Photographers Assn. Member (NPPA)
    Canon, Sigma, Mamiya, Toyo,and Rodenstock-Sironar

My Railroad Photography

drg

There's a sneaking suspicion that the XTi is a real sleeper among a lot of Canon shooters. One big thing is the Dust Reduction. The 30D doesn't have it.

The 30D used the same sensor and processor as the 20D.

The XTi sensor is a new design as is the processor and 'could' be a sign of things to come. The XTi uses a lot of parts and shares several things with the 30D including the AF system, the Picture Styles and has the wider range of adjustments. It also has full support for the 2.8 lenses.

When you say upgrading is there something the the XTi specifically won't do that you need? If so buy the camera that does that. There's not much important that the 30D is going to do better or perhaps as well as the XTi. If you are having white balance problems try working more with a custom WB by purchasing good targets.

The one problem I have with the XTi is the size. Even with a batterypack vertical grip I'm finding them too small to work fast with when shooting. Huge hands. I can easily shoot with 1D bodies (MKI or II, -s etc) one handed comfortably.

In most ways, I wouldn't consider the 30D an upgrade. If you are shooting 2.8 'L' glass and are seeing a problem, you've only got a couple of choices to get significant improvement. And they ain't cheap!

If you have some specific concern, post them and there are several Canon users here who will gladly offer suggestions (probably both useful and opinionated).

Photo John uses an XTi for Action Shooting and is seemingly quite impressed. And he was worried about buying a Rebel. And this was another 1D shooter!

The quality of lens you use will make a far bigger change to begin with than even going from the original Rebel to the top of the line.

Welcome to Photography Review.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

My personal opinon on this one is stick with the XTi. The 30D and XTi use the same AF system so you wont gain a thing there. The image quality you get from the XTi is better than the 30D so that's not an upgrade. The dust reduction system on the XTi is a plus. Sure the 30D has a few extras that the XTi doesn't have, but I don't find them to be worth the extra cost, especialy when you will be loosing image quality.

If you really want to upgrade, I would wait for the 30D replacement.

Just my 2 pennies.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I mostly shoot motor racing photos. I have 2 good lenses, a 300 f/4 L and a 70-200 f/4 L so I'm not really concerned about lenses. It sounds like the 400D falls somewhere between the 10D and the 20D for image quality so moves up for me would be an early 1D, a 5D or a 20D. 30D would be about lateral for image quality but a little quicker shooting and adjusting. Am I close on this? I really like the build and feel of the bigger cameras, but if the photos aren't any better it doesn't make sense to switch.
    Thanks again for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoRookie
    I mostly shoot motor racing photos. I have 2 good lenses, a 300 f/4 L and a 70-200 f/4 L so I'm not really concerned about lenses. It sounds like the 400D falls somewhere between the 10D and the 20D for image quality so moves up for me would be an early 1D, a 5D or a 20D. 30D would be about lateral for image quality but a little quicker shooting and adjusting. Am I close on this? I really like the build and feel of the bigger cameras, but if the photos aren't any better it doesn't make sense to switch.
    The 400D is ahead of the 10D, 20D and 30D when it comes to image quality. (The 20D & 30D use the same sensor and processor) The 30D does have a faster burst rate than the 400D which could be a big plus for fast action, but still not worth the extra $ IMO. Especially since you will be sacrificing image quality.

Build quality of the 30D would be better than the 400D, but it's still not weather sealed.

What is your reason for wanting to upgrade?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Build quality, durability & size with equal or better performance.

There is no dought that the 30D has a better build quality since it is metal vs. plastic. Durability, for me is kind of subjective. Yes the 30D would be more "durable" since the body is made with a stronger material, but if your carefull with your gear, I don't see this as a reason to upgrade. I have been using the original DRebel for over 3 years now, in rain, snow, freezing cold, high heat, hiking, biking... The camera has been banged around and I have never had a problem with it as a result of it not being durable. Unless you go with a 1D series body, you're not going to get the weather sealing that would make the body more "durable".

Size is a more important issue IMO. If the camera doesn't fit comfortably in your hands, then I would look to change, or add the battery grip. I have one on my DRebel and I love it.

I think you will be taking a step backwards as far as performance unless you went with a 1D or the 5D. The faster frame rate of the 30D would be an plus, but again, you will be loosing image quality.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thanks for the help

I dont know if this will help...as I'm a noob to the topic. But I recently purchased an XTi with a debait between the 20D and 30D for months...I found the XTi would be a very satisfying choice so I purchased one. Heres a few of my points to the desission and the things I heard that worried me.

Problems:
    1. It seems like everyone complains about it being small, the grip not being long enough or big enough
    2. People dont like the buttons to adjust properties (such as ISO)
    3. Its made of plastic instead of metal

My answers:
    1. Sure its small, but I plan on riding my bike to take pictures of things/people. I'm a teenager, and still have small hands that fit fine on the camera...especially when coming from a P&S Powershot camera its still an improvement.
    2. Again, coming from a P&S Powershot camera I'm used to buttons like this. I have quick video game fingers and I'm a drummer so I tap at high speeds alot, not to mention texting (High schoolers to it all the time!). I get better accuracy with buttons then scrolls, because I find I can count them and grow muscle memory rather then over shoot what I'm looking for.
    3. Plastic is lighter, simple as that...and that was a big plus for me since I'll be going for miles with my camera on my back or in my hands. Also, plastic has become much better these days then some people give it credit! Take for example Mountain Bikes, they make bash quards on bikes out of plastic to save weight, and their often compared to be stronger then metal ones!

My Experiences so far, with about a month of use (XTi):
    I have used it in sunny 90 degree weather (it got the camera a bit hot, but no biggy), to 40 degrees pooring rain...and everytime I have gotten great shots when I used the camera correctly. The body has stood up well and I've even banged it on a few things and nothing has happend to the body, not even a scratch! The picture is great with the camera, and being a digital computer geek having 10 megs is nice to be able to edit when I feel like it. I also love the big screen to review things, and I cant help but feel like the battery life last to long! Overall I like having the XTi over the 30D because of the small size, and not much difference in the cameras abilities itself. I find the camera very easily adaptable and easy to carry around.

Thats my 2 cents...I went a little more nuts then I was planning on.

P.S. The money saved was a huge plus for me since I have no money...I used the extra cash to get some decent lenses, which as stated above is no problem for you, but I'm sure you could use a flash or some sort of other camera equipment.
    New to photography/Amateur Photographer.

Canon Rebel XTi
    Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon 70-200mm f/4 L USM
    Speedlite 430EX
    Slik 340DX A.M.T. w/ pan tilt head

Good day.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoRookie
    Take it from a motorsports shooter, you will need faster glass if you intend to do any night racing. You should have at least a 70-200 f2.8, prefferably with IS for night. Second, if you are serious about motorsports shooting you need a good lens such as 16-35 for those winners circle shots. Third for night racing, and even daytime driver photos you need a good flash. If you look through the sports forum you'll see day shots of drivers at Indy that I took, almost all the flash was used for fill flash to eliminate shadows. And if the tracks you shoot at have garages you'll need the flash to shoot in garages.

As for plastc vs metal body. The newer plastics are very durable so thats not an issue. I have had both and both hold up well. The place where the plastic has a disadvantafe is where the lens and body connect, heavier lenses tend to stress and warp the plastic after time, especially on hot days. I saw that happen to a guy at the Brickyard 400 one year. It was 90+ and 140+ next to the track and his body warped from the 70-200 f2.8.

I woiuldn't worry too much though if you do the smart thing and keep a towel over the body when not shooting it won't be an issue. That guy learned why we wrap out cameras in towels when not shooting in the turns. It also helps if it rains.

I wouldn't worry too much about the other issues either, start off with better glass (faster) and wider range of lenses. By the time you get that taken care of you may be in a position to upgrade bodies.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Tel

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    I saw that happen to a guy at the Brickyard 400 one year. It was 90+ and 140+ next to the track and his body warped from the 70-200 f2.8.
    Ahh, was that the year I was there? (06)

It was REALLY hot. I remember buying a Powerade and 3 waters.

Heres the kicker, I didn't have to pee the whole time!

But on topic, The 30D is pretty much the same thing as a plain Digital Rebel, so yeah, just thought I'd share that.

Canon Digital Rebel with Quantray 19-35 F3.5-4.5 basically Glued on. :P

Thread Information