Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

EOS 20D Err 99 - just advice please!

Hi,

I wonder if I could ask for a little assistance?

I have an EOS 20D ans on my Ultrasonic 17 - 85mm Lens I started to get the Err 99, I borrowed a friends lens and it didn't give me the error 99, I gave it back and still got the error on my owm lens, so I bought the standard cheap lens that comes with mose DSLR's from canon off of ebay and I still got the error, what I am trying to establish now is, do you think it is likely that I have two bad lenses? as when I fire away with no lens attached I don't get the error.

I have tried all of the common resolutions such as eraser trick, battery pull, new CF card, left without power over night, left in sensor clean mode etc etc, no change.

It's very confusing and I'm not sure what to try next - I simply don't have the cash to throw away on a guess!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer...

Regards,

Mark

Re: EOS 20D Err 99 - just advice please!

It sounds like you've gone through all of your options. Did you try your lenses on your friend's camera to see if they were the problem? I would be surprised if they were. But you didn't mention trying it and it's best to eliminate all possibilities.

I think it's time for you to call Canon customer service. As I understand it, Error 99 is sort of a mystery, catch-all error message. So it could mean all kinds of things. The first thing I try is cleaning the lens contacts and removing the battery. That's always worked for me. The realy bad thing is the cost of fixing the problem will be more than the camera is worth. So it may end up being time to but a new camera
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, yeah I thought that might be the case - thing is the 20D is not worth much second hand however it's worth alot to me I'd be sad to see it go! I might just get a quote first and see what they say!

Thanks again!

Mark

For what it's worth, I just got an XTi repaired and it cost me almost $300. The minimum repair cost was about $250, I think. So expect it cost at least that much.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Just thought I'd update...

Loaned the camera body to a guy and he fired over 300 shots no problem with his lens on my camera but only 3 or 4 on my own - he did say that his lens connects really well and mine feels a little loose.

I just grabbed another 35 - 80mm AF lens off ebay and will see how I go with that!

Out of interest, what do you think of the Rebel XT? that might well be my next purchase until funds permit a better body...

Mark

Thread Information