Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>
    Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Canon Loyalty Program - Cash for Clunkers

I thought I should share with my friends here this program Canon has going on right now:

Trade in any Canon camera (working or not, digital or film) for 20% off of their refurbished EOS dSLRs. I called this morning and they have currently in stock 5DmkII for $1,599.20 with this program including free 2nd day shipping. They also have in stock 7D for $1,119.20.

I bought the 5DmkII

Even though the cameras are "refurbished", the rep told me many are brand new overstock items returned by retailers who opened the box (which can no longer be sold for new) or the outer box was damaged. I know many people who have already taken advantage of this program and many said the bodies were indistinguishable from new (LCD protective screen still on, less than a few dozen shutter actuations, no scratches, etc.).

Check out their current list of refurbished cameras on their website HERE. Even though their stock levels may say "1" or "0", call them at 1-866-443-8002 option 2 and check if you're interested.

There is a 14 day return policy and a 90 day Canon repair warranty and local sales tax do apply.

Oh, the only catch is that you do need to send in an old beat up Canon camera. Most people are buying broken cameras on Ebay or Craigslist for $20 to save $400.

Try it! :thumbsup:
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Canon Loyalty Program - Cash for Clunkers

Thanks for the heads up Loupey. I think I still have my old Rebel G that took a dip in a river stashed away in a drawer somewhere. If only I was in the market for a different body...

If anyone is interested in taking advantage of this deal and doesn't have an SLR body to send in, let me know. I will see if I can find my old Rebel G body and you can use that.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I'd love to get a 7d (my poor little XSi has been taking a beating over the last year), but even with a discount it's more than I can afford at the moment.
    --Cara

Canon 60D
    Canon XSi
    Canon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
    Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Tokina SD 12-24mm F/4 DX

My stuff on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35592266@N05

My photo blog: http://adventureswithnaturephotography.blogspot.com/

Update: My 5DmkII came in today. I can't see any evidence whatsoever that it was ever even touched - not a scratch, blemish, or even a fingerprint.

All original accessories included (straps, manuals, charger, cables, and battery - all unopened). I guess it did come in a different Canon box that has "REFURBISHED" printed on it and there is a little round sticker on the bottom of the camera that says the same thing. But the old Rebel Xs film camera that I sent in has the same little sticker on the bottom :lol:

Seriously, if you are in the market for either a 7D or 5DmkII, this deal might sound too good to be true - but it's definitely true (for now at least). Total savings on the 5D with the trade in is $900.

Oh, and the shutter count on the body I received? 31 :thumbsup:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canon Loyalty Program - Cash for Clunkers-5dmkii-refurb-3.jpg  

See my website HERE.

Awesome deal! Congratulations on the new camera, Loupey! It's tempting to see what I could get for my XSi. But spending is still spending. And I need to save for a honeymoon

I never heard about this promotion and I'm sure there are others who haven't heard about it either so I posted a link for this thread on our Facebook page. Thanks for sharing this, Loupey!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

My friend called Canon to get this deal and he was told that he would need to have an unfix-able camera to get 20% off a refurbished one.

So called myself and confirmed exactly what Loupey is describing.

So I told my friend and he tried and again. His second operator told him it has to be unfix-able.

Please make sure you speak to somebody that knows of this program and call again to get the right person on the phone. Don't you just love customer service?
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by poker
    My friend called Canon to get this deal and he was told that he would need to have an unfix-able camera to get 20% off a refurbished one.

So I told my friend and he tried and again. His second operator told him it has to be unfix-able.

Please make sure you speak to somebody that knows of this program and call again to get the right person on the phone. Don't you just love customer service?

About a year ago I wanted to trade in a camera for a refurb - and was told it was too new - and wasn't broken.

BTW..........does anyone know if Panasonic has anything like this?

Thanks.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by poker

Got a hammer? Send it to them in a baggy. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Awesome deal! Congratulations on the new camera, Loupey! It's tempting to see what I could get for my XSi. But spending is still spending. And I need to save for a honeymoon
    Congrats on the upcoming event!

For others that might get the same idea about trading in a new-ish dSLR, I would advise against it. Since they are accepting any camera, new or old, digital or film, as long as it is Canon, I'd rather sell something like a working XSi to someone for $100 and buy a beat up clunker at a garage sale or ebay for $5 to use as the trade-in camera. I'm sure we all have some friends or family that probably has an old camera in a closet.

Someone also said that it is possible to get multiple cameras with a single trade-in. I've also heard that a second trade-in at a later date will allow another purchase under this program. (hmmm, that 7D refurb looks pretty good )

As for whether a trade-in is working or not, I don't think they really care. The rep I spoke to didn't even ask if my trade was operational. I seriously doubt they have the time to check when they receive it. The prepaid UPS mailing label has the destination as the Canon recycling center so I bet all the cameras get thrown in a big bin to be batch recycled - whether they are pulverized or sent to another country for parts cannibilization.

See my website HERE.

To put this program in another perspective...

A program like this has got to be hurting the used camera business.

Not only are the prices better under this program, but the cameras are in better condition, have been inspected by Canon, and includes a warranty (albeit rather short - 90 day).

See my website HERE.

I am really excited that they are doing this. I am going to look into it right away.

thanks for posting it here.
    Marco Arreguin

All critique/advice welcome.
    Growing every day.

out of stock on the MKII right now
    Jim R

Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

Looks like both the 7D and 5d2 are both in stock again as of yesterday 10/29.

See my website HERE.

BTW, there is a handly little download which can tell you exactly how many times the shutter has been actuated in total (regardless of how many times the camera counter has been reset).

You can download it here

It works on cameras with Digic III and IV processors (40D, 50D, 450D, 1000D, and 5DmkII).

Unfortunately, the program won't work with the 7D so you won't be able to check the shutter actuations on the camera you purchase through this program.

See my website HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    BTW, there is a handly little download which can tell you exactly how many times the shutter has been actuated in total (regardless of how many times the camera counter has been reset).

You can download it here

It works on cameras with Digic III and IV processors (40D, 50D, 450D, 1000D, and 5DmkII).

Unfortunately, the program won't work with the 7D so you won't be able to check the shutter actuations on the camera you purchase through this program.
    Good to know! Thanks!

Also, I placed my order for the mkII, should be here next week!

My 5d will be going up on eBay tonight
    Jim R

Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

Quote Originally Posted by spiraleyes
    Congrats! Looking forward to hearing how your new baby arrives :thumbsup:

See my website HERE.

Wow! My 5d sold on eBay in less than 12 hours after listing it!
    Jim R

Hey, Jim - I hope you got your order placed in time. I called over there today on rumors that the 5DmkII is no longer available under the loyalty program and, yes, it's true - the 20% discount is no longer available on that body.

However, the 7D's are still available under the program and in stock as of today.

See my website HERE.

Hey, Jim - I hope you got your order placed in time. I called over there today on rumors that the 5DmkII is no longer available under the loyalty program and, yes, it's true - the 20% discount is no longer available on that body.

However, the 7D's are still available under the program and in stock as of today.
    I have the camera sitting next to me. I'm glad I got it ordered - and just in the nick of time!

Thanks again for posting this deal here!
    Jim R

You can download it here

370 clicks on my 5d MKII
    Jim R

I have the camera sitting next to me. I'm glad I got it ordered - and just in the nick of time!

Thanks again for posting this deal here!
    Phew - just in the nick of time for sure! I'm glad you were able to take advantage of the program.

On a side note, they said that the 5DmkII was pulled from the program when they did this earlier in the year but later added it back to the CLP. So I wouldn't be surprised if the 5D becomes eligible again. For others that might be thinking about it, just keep calling every week or so.

370 clicks on my 5d MKII
    Pretty good. I blew that many clicks on the first day I had it. How's the external condition? Any signs of usage?

See my website HERE.

Pretty good. I blew that many clicks on the first day I had it. How's the external condition? Any signs of usage?
    No signs of usage, the exterior is perfect!
    Jim R

Thread Information