• 08-21-2007, 01:15 PM
    Photo-John
    Canon EOS-1D Mark III Firmware Upgrade
    As most of you know, I'm currently testing and working on a review of the Canon EOS-1D Mark III. I'm going to take the camera out for some mountain bike jumping photos tonight to give it a serious auto focus and frame rate workout. Since there have been numerous reports of auto focus issues, and the latest firmware is supposed to fix the problems, I just upgraded from version 1.0.8 to 1.1.0. Upgrading the firmware wasn't as straightforward as I expected. I checked the manual and CDs and couldn't find any instructions. Turns out they're all on the Canon Web site. And even then they're a little confusing. Here's a link to the page where you can download the firmware:

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eos1dm3/firmware.html

The following is a description of my experience, using a Windows XP computer. Here's a link to the PDF with the instructions (at the bottom of the firmware page above): http://web.canon.jp/imaging/dc/PDF/eos1dmk3_fib-e.pdf

1) Download the .exe file to your computer and then click run. It won't work if you don't open the file.

2) After you run the file, a new file will be saved in whatever directory you're in.

3) Format a CompactFlash or SD memory card in your 1D Mark III.

4) Using a card reader attached to your computer, copy the extracted file (not the one you saved from the Canon site) to your memory card.

5) Make sure your camera battery has enough power or use the AC adapter.

6) Insert the memory card in the camera.

7) Click Menu > Setup 3 > Firmware Ver 1.xxxxx

8) Follow the directions on the camera's LCD

Note: Don't tuch any buttons while the firmware is updating!

My instructions aren't 100% complete. But I think they will help smooth out the process for people. The hole for me was actually running the self-extracting file I saved from the Canon site. If you don't open that file and save the new, extracted file to your memory card, it won't work. Nothing will happen. I tried.
  • 08-21-2007, 02:43 PM
    JSPhoto
    Re: Canon EOS-1D Mark III Firmware Upgrade
    Wish I could borrow that body tonight PJ, I have a volleyball game in a dungeon and this would be the perfect place to try out those high ISO's at a dungeon and shooting a fast moving game.

JS
  • 08-21-2007, 03:05 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    Wish I could borrow that body tonight PJ, I have a volleyball game in a dungeon and this would be the perfect place to try out those high ISO's at a dungeon and shooting a fast moving game.

JS

That would be good. Maybe I should look for an indoor basketball game or something. I'm gonna shoot a cyclocross race on Saturday. But that will be in nice outdoor light.
  • 08-21-2007, 03:28 PM
    JETA
    Well, I feel a litte better about myself reading you found the instructions confusing. I really appreciate you typing out your own. TY!
  • 09-03-2007, 11:13 AM
    JETA
    PJ, thank you for your notes. If it wasn't for you I'd never get my Mark III updated. I was following the PDF instructions and no where on there did it tell to upload the firmware to your machine and then extract it b4 copying it over to my card.

I'm almost done with the update. Thanks again.
  • 09-03-2007, 11:21 AM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JETA
    PJ, thank you for your notes. If it wasn't for you I'd never get my Mark III updated. I was following the PDF instructions and no where on there did it tell to upload the firmware to your machine and then extract it b4 copying it over to my card.

I'm almost done with the update. Thanks again.

Happy I could help. I was just as confused as you. I think it does tell you, but only in a very vague way. It took me quite a while to figure out why the new firmware wasn't showing up in the camera.