• 04-03-2007, 01:55 PM
    WesternGuy
    Canon 5d Upgrade?? Any rumours?
    I am just curious to know if anyone has heard anything, rumours, scuttlebut (sp), or the like, with regard to the 5D. It came out about August 2005 and we are coming up on
    August 2007. Canon seems to like (in my experience) an 18 to 24 month cycle in its products. :confused:

I am planning to buy a 5D soon, really soon, but if there is an upgrade on the horizon, it would be nice to know, so that I can wait a bit. :eek:

Any intel, insight, etc that anyone can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers,

WesternGuy
  • 04-03-2007, 03:22 PM
    poker
    Re: Canon 5d Upgrade?? Any rumours?
    I read in other places that due to it's unique position in the DSLR market (least expensive FF sensor and still very high MP) that Canon doens't have make adjustments in that area. Some would say it doens't really have any competition to justify a make over.

I think the only feature it needs is a LOWER PRICE! :D

Let's us know if you find anything.
  • 04-03-2007, 04:50 PM
    mjs1973
    I heard some rumours before PMA that there was going to be a 5D upgrade at PMA. We all know how that turned out. If I remember correctly, the upgrades weren't huge, a sealed body like the pro models is the only thing I remember...

I heard an interview with a rep from Canon on a podcast, and he promised that the Mk III was going to be the only new DSLR from Canon this spring. so who knows what to expect this fall.
  • 04-03-2007, 05:36 PM
    WesternGuy
    mjs1973 - do you mean that the newer 5Ds will have a sealed body like the Mk II and the Mk III? If I go to buy one, how will I know if it has this, assuming this is the upgrade? (Price? - sealed ones should be a bit more $$?) Thanks.

Cheers,

WesternGuy
  • 04-03-2007, 05:41 PM
    mjs1973
    Yes, the rumours I heard were for the upgraded 5D to have a sealed body. The current 5D does not. As of yet, there is no upgrade, but when there is, I'm sure there will be a new name to go along with it. Could be a 5D MK II, or a 3D. There will be a press release when it comes out.