Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Ordered my goodies! L glass and Fisheye

Ive decided on getting the 70-200mm F/2.8L with IS because a majority of the time I will be shooting handheld, and it will help with family portraits and such on the formal nights of the cruise where it will be dimmer than usual.

The 8mm Sigma EX DG Fisheye is also a definite. I've read reviews on it, did a ton of research, and it seems to be a rock solid lens with a creative kick to back it. The possibilities I see myself using it with are endless and I think it would suit me perfectly. I could use it as a lens in places which lack pizazz and interesting things. Nothing is boring when seen through a fisheye.

The problem is where do I buy it, since B&H is closed for passover, as is adorama(wouldnt buy from them anyway, I get charged sales tax.. 7% tax on $2300 of gear isnt fun). Any recommendations on stores which are accepting orders and shipping during this week? If not I'll have to wait until Monday. My spring break is next week so it will allow me some time to get used to the gear.

I'm also going to grab up a Lexar 1gb 133x CF card($29), 77mm circular polarizer for the 70-200 F/2.8L IS and the 400mm F/5.6L lenses, extra clip on caps, and a new monopod.

I've worked a deal with my grandmother in which I can buy my gear now so that I can learn how to use them and then take them on our cruise this summer. She said she would let me pay it off over the summer. I've got $650 for it all right now, and by the time summer gets done with, I'll have about another $1600.

Its worth all the hard work to come though. A trip like the one I'm going on is a once or twice in a lifetime opportunity. Its only 83 days away and counting! The whole family is coming, all 11 of us, courtesy of my grandmother. Can't thank her enough for this cruise and last years to Bermuda. My grandfather passed away last September when we booked the cruise so while it is sad that he is gone, my girlfriend is now able to come on this cruise with us and everybody is happy she can come. The cruise will be starting in San Juan, and docking in Aruba, Curacao, St. Martin, St. Thomas, Oranjestad, and I believe Barbados. Not sure what excursions we are planning, but there are over 350 choices available.

The lenses and gear will all come in handy. Tropical birds, wonderful landscapes and ocean-scapes, interesting and beautiful architecture, I'll have photos to share for sure! :-)

ps. If anybody is going on this cruise, let me know! I'd love to meet up with fellow PR people!
    Last edited by SpeedingSphere; 04-04-2007 at 05:19 PM. Reason: title update
    -Mike
    -------------------------------------------------------
    | Canon EOS 40D | Canon EOS 350D
    | Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS | Canon EF-S 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5
    | Canon EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | Sigma 8mm EX DG Circular Fisheye
    | Sigma 30mm F/1.4 EX DC HSM

Re: Buying gear tomorrow! L glass and Fisheye

I have given a lot of money to Canoga Camera over the years. They'll be open during Passover and their prices are almost always competitive with B&H and Adorama.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

wow thanks! i'll be using them. Both the 8mm Sigma and the Canon 70-200mm are $20 cheaper! $40 saved! Cha-Ching! Maybe i'll get a 2gb card instead.. lemme see how much those are.
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedingSphere
    wow thanks! i'll be using them. Both the 8mm Sigma and the Canon 70-200mm are $20 cheaper! $40 saved! Cha-Ching! Maybe i'll get a 2gb card instead.. lemme see how much those are.
    Cool. They're good guys. They used to advertise with us but don't anymore. I still like them, though. But I feel obligated to spend my money with the companies that support us. Let them know I sent you! Maybe we can get them back on board :thumbsup:
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

If you're looking for inexpensive CF cards, give www.newegg.com a try. They have lots of choices, and they are dirt cheap.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Iron Horse

I'll second newegg.com, just make sure to get a 120x card for the additional speed. for my camera purchases, I've used both buydig.com and beachcamera.com and both have been excellent (although this is based purely on the speed/correctness of the order, haven't had to test out their CS dept). I even placed an order at 5:30pm w/ Beach and received it at 11am the next day (I'm within the 1-day delivery for UPS). Was completely floored.
    Canon XTi
    Tamron 17-50mm
    Nifty Fifty 1.8

Just dumped the cash on both lenses! I can't believe I spent $2300 on equipment.

I got 2nd day shipping so if it ships today, I'll have it possibly tomorrow(more likely friday) and if it ships tomorrow, I'll get it friday, just in time for easter. Look for deformed wide angle photos of easter bunnies, chocolate rabbits, and egg hunts! woohoo!
    Last edited by SpeedingSphere; 04-04-2007 at 01:29 PM.
    -Mike

got tracking info! These guys are my new favorite. the only con is that they are located in California, not anywhere near me. Ground would take forever.. I got 2nd day so we'll see what the ETA is. Thanks for the recommendation Photo-John.

As for recommendations on memory cards. I'll buy that cheap-o $13 1gb A-data one, as I've had a-data cards before and they were perfect. Maybe I'll grab two or three. Depends on what ebay brings to my paypal account.
    -Mike

Thread Information