Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>
    GB1

Lightbulb Canan Video HDR Capability

HDR Video Part II - Extreme ISO with Magic Lantern, Alex 4D - YouTube

Quote:

HDR Video part II, shot with Canon 550D and Magic Lantern

HDR is already well known in photography, however in video rarely used. HDR Video extends the dynamic range. Shooting into bright sunlight usually darkens the shadows, but using HDR tree details, shadows are clearly visible. However moving targets and water may cause artifacts, double images etc. This is due to the method HDR is recorded in ML: alternate frame recording to record 2 ISO values into one video. Keeping this in your mind while shooting very nice footage with high dynamic range can be created with a DSLR entry level camera if your budget does not allow a RED or the new Blackmagic camera.

By a company called Magic Lantern, it's done via an alternative firmware they wrote.

MagicLantern.fm - Home

I believe what they're saying is that as the video is taken every other frame is recorded at a different ISO, and here, they used 100 ISO and 2500 ISO. I don't know if they later 'merge' the two images together to create a single frame from the two, as HDR normally does, or just run with the video as shot and hope the human brain merges them?

Somebody try it and let us know

What they apparently mean about moving targets (or quick panning in the video) is that the delta between the alternate frames will be more noticeable if there's movement, so that will cause issues - ghosting or artifacts. Hence, an HDR still ideally works (best) when the multiple images are taken of the exact same thing, and that requires no movement.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Canan Video HDR Capability

I hope I can leave this link. It is a video made back in 2010 with two Canon Mark 5 II cameras. It gives a good example of video hdr and if you watch it, keep a eye on the guy as he moves his arms. It doesn't work well with things moving fast. I expect someday this will not be the case. Thanks for your post. I found it very interesting.
    ***vimeo.com/14821961 Video Demonstration Using Two Canon 5D mark II's on Vimeo please copy and past the link as I don't have enough postings yet to include an active link. Sorry.

Thread Information