Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Thread: xs versus xsi

xs versus xsi

Hello. I have been saving my money for years very slowly for a camera and I have my sights set on the canon xsi, I will not be able to uprade my camera for several years until my dh is done with school and so I wanted something entry-level-ish to learn and grow with my photography. I still don't have enough for the xsi, even on sale, but I can get the xs right now with all the promotions going on. So do you think I should just wait like another 6 months or just get the xs? I am just getting so antsy to get going, and I just can't get non-blurry pics of my two year old with my point and shoot. So, based on your experience/knowledge, would I be happy with the xs, or should I just wait? Is the spot metering really detrimental to a newbie trying to learn? Thanks so much for your timely reply.

Re: xs versus xsi

If you don't plan to shoot sports, then I'd just go with the XS. You'll still get the stabilized lens and all the other important stuff. Spot metering is nice, but it isn't everything; there's always manual mode if the meter can't get it right (those situations are very rare for most of us).
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Thanks, I think I will go with the xs, it seems like a good affordable option to grow my skills with, I was just wondering if it was a good choice or not so I appreciate your input.

Get the XS. It will get the job done and then some. Sure, a more expensive camera will have a faster frame rate and some other features. But most of those things won't really make that much difference for you. What you're investing in is a good sensor and no shutter-lag - and those things you'll get with the XS. And when you get some more money, I recommend investing it in a better lens instead of a new camera. A better lens is usually the best investment.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Just me and my camera

Hi there, I just got the canon xs a few weeks ago, it's my first DSLR (so I'm a newbie too) and i really enjoy it; so I think it's a really good camera to grow with you as you learn photography.
    "You put your camera around your neck along with putting on your shoes, and there it is, an appendage of the body that shares your life with you."--Dorothea Lange

Me too. Just got an XS several weeks ago and love it. Bundled with a EF 75-300 zoom for under 700.00

Thread Information