Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Canon Powershot A720 IS Questions

I just bought a A720 - and could not be more excited (it's way better than what I have now)--

But anyway, I will not get it for a week, or so - but was thinking -

Is there somewhere online I could go to read up on it, how to use it, what settings for what pictures, how to do things with it in manual ( I have never owned anything that did manual at all, so this is all new to me).

Thanks a ton!

Jennifer

Re: Canon Powershot A720 IS Questions

This should get you pointed in the right direction, have fun.
    Jimmy B
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=15657

Welcome to the site and congratulations on the new camera! I think you'll be very happy with it. You can't get more bang for the buck than the Canon A-Series cameras. Please post a review for your new camera once you've had a chance to use it for a couple weeks and feel you've gotten to know it. So far there's only one review for the Canon PowerShot A720 IS and it's from someone who got a bad one. So the reviews on that page are a little out of balance.

For some ideas on how to get the most out of the camera, I recommend reading our Canon PowerShot A640 Pro Review and our Point-and-Shoot Digital Camera Tips article. Even though you have a different camera than the A640, Canon's A-Series cameras have been pretty consistent as far as features and functionality go. So reading that review should give you some more insight into what the camera is about and how to use it. The Point-and-Shoot Digital Camera Tips article is a fairly basic intro on how to get the most out of any digital camera. I wrote it and think it's very useful for people who are getting started with digital cameras.

Congratulations again on the new camera. And thanks in advance for your review
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

John - thank you for that article - I have already read it twice It's got a TON of great tips - which I think will make a huge difference, in my picture taking!

As for the review of the A640 I will do that, thanks - I also took the time to print out the whole manual from the site - so I can read though that (maybe all the way?) before I get it - so I have some idea's even though I cant "Test" them out - I can at least read though it.

As for the review, once I get it and get moving I will totally review it - I pray I dont get a lemon! I have read there are a few of them out there. Though not sure I will be able to get to indepth with the review, as I dont know really what things are in manual - like appature ect. But I can give her a shot!

I have had a very bad expereince with this camera.

I bought a new canon A 720 IS from circuit city texas and bought it to india to gift some one. And to my wonders it does'nt switches on ...simply does not powers on.
    tried with at least 10 differnet batteries and checked the edges too...

called canon india and us...they say in india no warrenty **** bring the camera to us, now i am stuck n embarrased, canon india is charging heavy amount for its repair...i dont know whats wrong...and am stuck by this

can some one help??
    never had such a bad experience...wont recommend it to anyone
    ~Ankur

Jennifer this is what I meant to link.
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=183&modelid=15657#DownloadDetailAct
    This is a download of your cameras manual. Hope it helps.
    Jimmy B

Question Canon Delhi Looting me....

This is really driving me crazy....

I bought a camera Canon A 720 IS from US Circuit city-Texas to gift it to my sister.

On bringing the camera to India, the camera stops booting..."Death on Arrival", I had to gift it so i showed it to Canon Delhi they charged me Rs. 900 ~ $23 and said the PCB was repaired. (Warrenty valid only in US and Canada)

Now the camera again had the same problem and they say the PCB will be replaced...and i will be charged Rs. 4100~ $105.... this is crap!!!...isn'nt this

Now for the camera worth $200 i am being asked $100...just after 50 odd days of buying it. Can somebody help???

Is anyone aware if Canon US warranty remains valid ??? so I should take it to US , the camera was opened in Canon Service Center -Delhi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sethankur
    I have had a very bad expereince with this camera.

I bought a new canon A 720 IS from circuit city texas and bought it to india to gift some one. And to my wonders it does'nt switches on ...simply does not powers on.
    tried with at least 10 differnet batteries and checked the edges too...

called canon india and us...they say in india no warrenty **** bring the camera to us, now i am stuck n embarrased, canon india is charging heavy amount for its repair...i dont know whats wrong...and am stuck by this

can some one help??
    never had such a bad experience...wont recommend it to anyone
    ~Ankur

Hi Jen:
    You won't be sorry about this camera, I have the 560 without the IS and I am very pleased with it. The A series from Canon are great.
    Julian

Something else you may want to keep in mind is the things you can do with the manual settings on that camera. Such as HDR (But be sure to turn off the image stabilization if the camera is on a tripod, especially for the bracketed shots or long exposures....off tripod, the IS works great, I've been able to get down to 1/5 sec sharp with my A570 IS.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Canon the Biggest Liars

:mad2:

I want to sue canon...can anyone help me??

After getting frustated with canon India, I send the camera to USA throwing in $10 more for courier.

They took 2 weeks and returned the camera unrepaired saying its an uneconomical damage due to water. This was really crazy because i know not a single drop of water was near the camera and i know i am not lying.

Moreover if this was the issue Canon India would have noticed this straightaway, which they never did.

This clearly shows that Canon is simply lying and running away from its responsibility to serve its users and warrenty. Now i am feeling like a idiot cheated away by a big brand just because i trusted them.

I have all the papers with me to support my case, and am ready to go to any extent to fight my cause.

Can anyone tell me whom to approach in Canon or Consumer Court or whatever????

Quote Originally Posted by sethankur
    This is really driving me crazy....

I bought a camera Canon A 720 IS from US Circuit city-Texas to gift it to my sister.

On bringing the camera to India, the camera stops booting..."Death on Arrival", I had to gift it so i showed it to Canon Delhi they charged me Rs. 900 ~ $23 and said the PCB was repaired. (Warrenty valid only in US and Canada)

Now the camera again had the same problem and they say the PCB will be replaced...and i will be charged Rs. 4100~ $105.... this is crap!!!...isn'nt this

Now for the camera worth $200 i am being asked $100...just after 50 odd days of buying it. Can somebody help???

Is anyone aware if Canon US warranty remains valid ??? so I should take it to US , the camera was opened in Canon Service Center -Delhi

Thanks

Thread Information