Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

SD700 IS Question

Just as a general rule..

When is it good to use low shutter speed? (200,400) And when is it good to use high shutter speed on this camera? (800, HI) I know high shutter speed is good for "action" type shots, but if I always leave it on that setting am I affecting the quality of other types of shots?

I usually always leave it on "HI" mode

Thanks

Re: SD700 IS Question

A very fast shutter is good for freezing action and the faster/higher the shutter speed, the less blurry the photo (that would only affect about 1/80 and slower). A slow/low shutter is useful indoors where there is less light. IS will help you be able to use slower shutters for when it is darker. Also, a longer shutter speed is necessary when you have a very small or high number aperture.

Josh - sounds like you're starting to explore the various effects of different exposure settings. That means you're really getting into the meat of photography. A faster shutter speed will help you freeze action. But photography is a game of compromises. You only have so much light and making a choice about one pasrt of your exposure means you'll have to adjust another to compensate for a good exposure. There are no hard rules, only general guidelines. You learn those guidelines and then start working around them and fighting with them to get what you want. Anyway, it looks like it might be time for you to learn more about how exposure works. Here's a link to a guide in our Learn section:

Photography Exposure Guide >>

Hope that helps. And I hope it isn't too much for you. I don't want to scare you away
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks guys.

Good link John, thank you! Kind of makes sense, though this camera is somewhat simplified compared to full on manual SLR's. There is alot I need to learn to do with it though, to use it to it's full potential.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by JoshD
    Kind of makes sense, though this camera is somewhat simplified compared to full on manual SLR's.
    Yes, it is much simpler than some other cameras. But if I remember right it does display the shutter speed when you depress the shutter halfway. And the exposure data is always available later in the EXIF data. You can use that information both to take better pictures and to tune up your technique. If a camera displays the shutter speed on the LCD when I depress the shutter release button, I always check it before I take a picture. It helps me decide on the best technique to use when I actually take my picture.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Yes, it is much simpler than some other cameras. But if I remember right it does display the shutter speed when you depress the shutter halfway.
    Actually that's not true, it only displays the shutter speed when the camera thinks it's low enough to cause blur, basically below 1/60. And no it doesn't store the shutter speed info in the metadata.

The SD700 is a good camera, but it's not a great camera, this is one of the ways it is compromised. In my experience, I've owned one since last June, it's safe to set the iso on Auto, shoot in P mode, and get good pics in most conditions. Getting great action photos isn't going to happen, there's no way to tell if you are at 1/100 or 1/1000, maybe acceptable ones though, but not consistently. Iso 800 performance is pretty poor unless you just want the camera for myspace gallery photos and not 8x10 prints. The auto ISO function is pretty conservative though. I like this camera because I can actually just set it on auto and shoot and usually get ok pics that i wouldn't get at all otherwise because I can't fit my 5d in my pocket.
    www.DigitalMTB.com
    www.alandavisphoto.net
    "There are no honorable bargains involving the exchange of qualitative merchandise like souls, for quantitative merchandise like time or money." -William S. Burroughs

Thread Information