Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

50-Years Film - 4-Years Digital

Hello:

My name is PhotoChief from my days as a U. S. Navy Photographer. I have over 54 years as a photographer....50-years as a film still photographer including 21 years as a U. S. Navy Photographer. I have been trying to switch to digital for the last 3+ years and am now getting serious about.

I have recently purchased my first Canon digital camera. Now I am lost. I need some help with trying to figure out my Canon Ds1 Mark III. Everything is different from my NikonF3's and Pentax 6X7cm cameras I used for years. Where do I start? I know most photographic theory but not digital relationship theory. Help! there are so many buttons and knobs on this camera I don't know where to begin.

Thanks for inviting me on to your forum. I hope I am on the right one for my beginner/advanced questions.

PhotoChief

MB1

D@nm, you didn't start small did you?

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoChief
    .....Now I am lost. I need some help with trying to figure out my Canon Ds1 Mark III. Everything is different from my NikonF3's and Pentax 6X7cm cameras I used for years. ......
    #1 Read the owners manual-several times.

#2 Use the histograms in the playback function to judge exposure on the spot. Then you can decide if you want to re-shoot the image.

#3 You can always shoot with the default settings to get a feel for the camera but the strength of that body is all the custom settings.

#4 The RAW capture allows you to do all your "Darkroom" work yourself, JPEGs are more like sending film out for processing. One great thing you can do is save your images in BOTH RAW and JPEG-only process the RAW images that are keepers.

#5 Practice, practice, practice. With digital there is no cost associated with shooting lots so have at it.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Liz

Re: 50-Years Film - 4-Years Digital

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoChief
    Hello:

My name is PhotoChief from my days as a U. S. Navy Photographer. I have over 54 years as a photographer....50-years as a film still photographer including 21 years as a U. S. Navy Photographer. I have been trying to switch to digital for the last 3+ years and am now getting serious about.

I have recently purchased my first Canon digital camera. Now I am lost. I need some help with trying to figure out my Canon Ds1 Mark III. Everything is different from my NikonF3's and Pentax 6X7cm cameras I used for years. Where do I start? I know most photographic theory but not digital relationship theory. Help! there are so many buttons and knobs on this camera I don't know where to begin.

Thanks for inviting me on to your forum. I hope I am on the right one for my beginner/advanced questions.

PhotoChief
    Here is a link you might be interested in - the Canon Digital Learning Center.

http://www.photoworkshop.com/public/learning_centers

This specific link is to your Ds1MarkIII - it links to a 20 page settings suggestion PDF file. I hope it helps. I have the XTi so I can't personally help out here.

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/control...articleID=1186

Liz

Thread Information