Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Thread: Hi there

Hi there

I am brand new at this camera stuff. Be nice to me, as I'm sure I'll ask some infuriatingly stupid questions.

I felt like I didn't spend enough money on the ridiculously expensive hobby of road cycling, so I thought I'd jump into the ridiculously expensive hobby of photography, too.

I did a lot of research on DSLRs before pulling the trigger this week. I started with contacting a friend who has shot a pretty well-known cyclist who won the Tour de France 7 times, figuring that she should know what she was doing. She said, for my price point ($1,000+/-) that I should get a Canon Rebel. Another friend, a retired photographer from the LA Times, affirmed that choice as proper. A third contact, a photographer from our local paper, chimed in with Canon as well.

Step two was to scour the internet for reviews and deals. I ran the gamut of stores and ebay packages, getting more and more confused at each turn. I had to turn it all off for a while, as my brain went into overload and I was having trouble sorting out details.

I have been a long-time member of RoadBike Review and MTB Review. I remembered seeing "Photography Review" at the bottom of those pages and realized where the best source of information would really be - right here, with people who use this stuff all the time, are passionate about their hobby, are knowledgeable about the technical stuff and are pretty friendly and willing to share what they know.

I have not been disappointed. I lurked for a few weeks reading all I could stand about Canon cameras and lenses and where to buy them. So much information that, while detailed, I was at least able to sort it out and make some sense of things and feel confident when I finally pulled the trigger on Monday.

I ordered a Canon EOS Rebel XSi from Canoga Cameras via their web site. They were backordered, so I called them and asked how long was the wait. They told me they were expecting a shipment in two days and that I should go ahead and place the order so I could get in the que. I did just that, and two days later I got an email from them asking for verification of the order. They wanted me to call them, so I did. Turns out I had transposed two numbers in my phone number, which resulted in a "this line has been disconnected" message when they tried to call me. I told the nice woman on the other end that I did, indeed, order the camera with the 18-55mm IS lens. She said thank you, then, to my amazement, asked me questions about what I would be shooting and what did I currently use. This wasn't a sales pitch, but genuine interest in what I was doing. Then she asked how I found that store (I live in Wyoming, a long way from Canoga Park). I was happy to tell her of the wonderful words written about her store on this site.

I love to take pictures of people. I've had occasion to travel to some unique places, and I always find the images of the people the most compelling. (I've attached one of my favorites from a trip to El Salvador). I am certain I'll be buying additional lenses, but I could onyl do so much at one time.

Now I have a couple questions.

1. Memory cards - suggestions? How big? Where to buy?

2. Book on basic photography, something easy to read and understand to get me started.

Thanks so much. I hope to become a contributing member as I dive into this new world.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hi there-el-salvador320.jpg  

Re: Hi there

I usually shop at B&H, as they have excellent customer service, and they're prices are more than adequate.
    A friend of mine got me "The Digital Photography Book" by Scott Kelby, it's a pretty good place to start at; although, his cutesy/smart-ass sense of humor can drag a bit. It has some excellent advice on how to position your shots, as well as when to shoot.
    If you have any thrift stores near you, find an old photography book; better yet, get a college text book, if you're really wanting to do it right.
    Good luck,
    Jaybird

Welcome aboard. I ordered my first and only lens from Canoga, and had a very positive experience. Good luck with your new hobby.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Greetings, welcome and have fun shooting!
    Understanding Exposure is a must read. I think it is by Brian Peterson? my copy of it is loaned out at this time.
    CF cards you can get any where, office supply store etc. I use San disk ultra 2 cards, no grief with the 4 I have. 2 @ 1 GB and 2 @ 2 GB.
    Jimmy B

If you saw it, you didn't get it. tadrscin's Avatar

Welcome aboard. I 2nd the recommendations of Understanding Exposure and any book by Scott Kelby. Then practice, practice, practice and post pics for c&c. If this new hobby somehow doesn't drain your bank account, you should then consider the ridiculously expensive hobby of mtn biking.
    Ray
    --
    I race down mountains on a bike and I take photographs, but never both at the same time :nono:

Feel free to edit any of my photos as long as you explain in detail what you did.

My Gear
    Canon 7D
    Some L glass.
    Flashes, Radio Poppers, etc.
    My Gallery
    My Life

Wow! I too am a cyclist and just got in to this hobby seems like I've read that combination Cyclist - photography in the forums a dozen times tonight . Keep it up .

Lightbulb Re: Hi there

Hi moneyman and welcome to the site. :thumbsup: Memory cards - I would get at least two of them at either 2 or 4 GB. I have a 4GB which is my main one and a 2GB backup. If you have two and the one you are using goes funny, then you have a backup. I do a lot of landscape and nature stuff away from town and do not want to be caught in the hills with a card gone bad without backup. :blush2:

As far as a book is concerned, there are so many. I agree with the previous recommendations. You might also want to look at Digital Photography for Dummies by Julie Adair King. It is a great intro to digital photography and photography in general. HTH

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Quote Originally Posted by moneyman
    I have been a long-time member of RoadBike Review and MTB Review. I remembered seeing "Photography Review" at the bottom of those pages and realized where the best source of information would really be - right here, with people who use this stuff all the time, are passionate about their hobby, are knowledgeable about the technical stuff and are pretty friendly and willing to share what they know.
    Hey there. I remember you from PO. I got out of that time sink hole a few years back and have poked my head in only rarely nowadays. Though we have somewhat different political views, I always respected your posts for their knowledge, wit, and courtesy.

Anyway, I just bought an Xsi too after more research than I care to admit. I'm happy with it I'm trying to shoot a photo a day. Of course I shoot more than a photo a day but I try to get one good one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hi there-img_0237.jpg   Hi there-img_0295.jpg   Hi there-img_0266.jpg   Hi there-img_0302.jpg  

Thread Information