Camera News and Rumors

Photography news and announcements for new digital cameras, film cameras, SLR lenses, and photography software.

New Camera and Photography News Section >>

Zeiss Lenses For Nikon SLRs - Press Release

ZEISS Lenses for Nikon F Mount

Carl Zeiss AG of Oberkochen, Germany is about to introduce ZF, a new range of interchangeable lenses for Nikon SLR cameras, both analog and digital. ZF lenses bring the highly acclaimed Carl Zeiss image quality to the Nikon SLR camera system, which has been the preferred equipment of millions of professional and ambitious amateur photographers for decades. ZF lenses can also be used on the Sinar m professional digital camera and a multitude of industrial video cameras.

ZF lenses provide Nikon F-mount cameras with the creative potential and phototechnical performance available so far only in the Contax system. In addition, ZF lenses incorporate new technical advances from the ZEISS Ultra Prime速, Master Prime速 and DigiPrime速 lenses for motion picture cameras. Results have been seen in feature films like "Lord of the Rings", "Alexander", "King Arthur", "Air Force One", "Collateral", "King Kong" and many commercials and music clips.

Like the ZEISS lenses for motion picture, ZF lenses feature unusually high mechanical quality, fixed focal length, very precise manual focussing, reliability, and exceptional durability. Special attention is paid to guarantee absolute color matching throughout the whole range of lenses resulting in state-of-the-art image quality.

The first ZF lens will be the Planar T* 1,4/50 ZF, which, in its Contax RTS version, was rated the world's best fast standard lens by "Popular Photography" in 1999. It will be followed by the Planar T* 1,4/85 ZF, which in its Contax RTS version became known as a great portrait lens and story-teller.

Both lenses will become available in spring 2006. The Pricing will be suitable competitive with similar items in the Nikon F-system. Several more ZF lenses will be introduced during 2006.

With the introduction of ZF lenses, Carl Zeiss will set up a new international distribution network and will announce information on availability of the ZF lenses at www.zeiss.com/photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Talking Re: Zeiss Lenses For Nikon SLRs - Press Release

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    ZEISS Lenses for Nikon F Mount

Carl Zeiss AG of Oberkochen, Germany is about to introduce ZF, a new range of interchangeable lenses for Nikon SLR cameras, both analog and digital. ZF lenses bring the highly acclaimed Carl Zeiss image quality to the Nikon SLR camera system, which has been the preferred equipment of millions of professional and ambitious amateur photographers for decades. ZF lenses can also be used on the Sinar m professional digital camera and a multitude of industrial video cameras.

ZF lenses provide Nikon F-mount cameras with the creative potential and phototechnical performance available so far only in the Contax system. In addition, ZF lenses incorporate new technical advances from the ZEISS Ultra Prime速, Master Prime速 and DigiPrime速 lenses for motion picture cameras. Results have been seen in feature films like "Lord of the Rings", "Alexander", "King Arthur", "Air Force One", "Collateral", "King Kong" and many commercials and music clips.

Like the ZEISS lenses for motion picture, ZF lenses feature unusually high mechanical quality, fixed focal length, very precise manual focussing, reliability, and exceptional durability. Special attention is paid to guarantee absolute color matching throughout the whole range of lenses resulting in state-of-the-art image quality.

The first ZF lens will be the Planar T* 1,4/50 ZF, which, in its Contax RTS version, was rated the world's best fast standard lens by "Popular Photography" in 1999. It will be followed by the Planar T* 1,4/85 ZF, which in its Contax RTS version became known as a great portrait lens and story-teller.

Both lenses will become available in spring 2006. The Pricing will be suitable competitive with similar items in the Nikon F-system. Several more ZF lenses will be introduced during 2006.

With the introduction of ZF lenses, Carl Zeiss will set up a new international distribution network and will announce information on availability of the ZF lenses at www.zeiss.com/photo.
    I wish you hadn't posted this! Now I've gotta find my checkbook!
    A Zeiss lens on my Nikon. That's like Hollandaise sauce on poached eggs, only less fattening. I will definitely be following this and thanks for the heads up.
    I Still Like Film Better

Re: Zeiss Lenses For Nikon SLRs - Press Release

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    Yeah, that's nice and all, but somehow I am just not very impressed. I am getting a little tired of repackaged goods. Same old tech, new mount....blah. I suppose if this were avalible for Canon I might be a bit more intrigued, but then they would have had to build in a state of the art AF system, and maybe a couple of nice zooms. I understand that Zeiss is like the best glass possible, but still, for even the avarage pro, Canon L lenses produce images that can hardly be matched by any other lens. Still I have to admit, there are times I would like a nice manual lens for my EOS camera.
    "I understand that Zeiss is like the best glass possible". Your quote. So, um, where does your post stand in regard to this statement? Zeiss is heads above the image capturing ability of almost all glass. Better glass, better images.
    I Still Like Film Better

Yeah, that's nice and all, but somehow I am just not very impressed. I am getting a little tired of repackaged goods. Same old tech, new mount....blah. I suppose if this were avalible for Canon I might be a bit more intrigued, but then they would have had to build in a state of the art AF system, and maybe a couple of nice zooms. I understand that Zeiss is like the best glass possible, but still, for even the avarage pro, Canon L lenses produce images that can hardly be matched by any other lens. Still I have to admit, there are times I would like a nice manual lens for my EOS camera.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Quote Originally Posted by crotograph
    Better glass, better images.

I understand that, but lets be honest. Once you get to a certain point you are really just piling on, and I guess I should have said that there is a trade off here. The old quality vs. convenience equation.

Look, I am not saying these are not great, wonderful lenses and that they should not have been made. I was just stating my reaction to them.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

I understand that, but lets be honest. Once you get to a certain point you are really just piling on, and I guess I should have said that there is a trade off here. The old quality vs. convenience equation.

Look, I am not saying these are not great, wonderful lenses and that they should not have been made. I was just stating my reaction to them.
    That's true and I am the first to admit that some photographers tend to equate money spent with ego soothed. However, with PRO quality lenses comes engineering that is more than the glass only. As I stated this morning on another thread I have 40 year old Nikkor lenses that are still as sharp and true as the day I bought them. They could be Canon "L" lenses also. Fact is, they are pro quality and they are as good now as when I purchased them. Same with my Mamiya "C" lenses. Zeiss is just a large step up in engineering of the barrels, lenses and coatings.

Of course, I do have a problem with a lot of Hassey users who say that their cameras are equivelent to diamonds and rubies. As I am sure you think also, if you can't focus, your pictures and all the money spent on equip isn't worth a hoot'n holler.
    I Still Like Film Better

I have known a few Hassy users like that, and a few Mamiya users too. They act as if their lenses were crapped out of the golden goose herself. As is every image they shot with them was a masterpiece.

I don't shoot Meduim/large format anyway though. I have always loved 35mm. None of the argument that my hassy/mam friends have used have even come close to getting me interested in switching. There is just something about 35mm. In the film world at leat, it seems to just be the sweet spot.
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

I have known a few Hassy users like that, and a few Mamiya users too. They act as if their lenses were crapped out of the golden goose herself. As is every image they shot with them was a masterpiece.

I don't shoot Meduim/large format anyway though. I have always loved 35mm. None of the argument that my hassy/mam friends have used have even come close to getting me interested in switching. There is just something about 35mm. In the film world at leat, it seems to just be the sweet spot.
    I've been shooting 35mm for a looonnngggg time, since '69 (last century). However, I learned to take photos on a Yasica Mat. 120 film, so, after years of shooting 35mm I bought a Mamiya m645 and a few lenses. I then bought a Mamiya RB67 Pro SD for the 6x7 format. I love the 6x7. However, it is expensive to have processed. I do my own B and W but the color or transparencies I send out.
    As I stated earlier I am still using the old Nikon Photomic FTN and the Nikkor lenses just for the LIGHT weight and portability. Plus the fact, as you know with your Canon, my familiarity with the Nikon and its process. It's like an old dog.....
    I Still Like Film Better

Quote Originally Posted by crotograph
    Plus the fact, as you know with your Canon, my familiarity with the Nikon and its process. It's like an old dog.....
    Boy, I know what you mean. I have been using Canon since I began. I strayed once or twice into the Minolta camp, but just like a perfect pair of old shoes I would end up back with Canon. It's just the brand that fits me best. My Maxxum 7 was awesome, but that feeling of home I have with my Canons, that feeling that the camera is a part of my body. I never had that with anything else but an old Pentax me super that my dad gave me.
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Thread Information