Camera News and Rumors

Photography news and announcements for new digital cameras, film cameras, SLR lenses, and photography software.

New Camera and Photography News Section >>

Significant: Safari brings color-managed browsing to Windows

Interesting read:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-8740-9003

About damn time someone did it. Why Firefox hasn't is beyond me.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

Re: Significant: Safari brings color-managed browsing to Windows

i was wondering why the images looked better in safari than firefox...

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

you may not want to use Safari 3 public beta for browsing here, there and everywhere just yet, owing to several security vulnerabilities that have been discovered.
    Oops, still it may be worth looking at after the beta.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Those issues were fixed the day after release.
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    About damn time someone did it. Why Firefox hasn't is beyond me.
    My guess is that the vast majority of browser users don't need it nor would even know what color management means. Resources, especially donated, are tight and features/fixes with the highest impact for all users are chosen first.

Besides, how many of us use a browser to examine images? Convenient but not a necessity.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

I'm sorry, but the Mozilla Foundation does not have to worry about resources. And with as many useless features built into Firefox lately, I don't think it's that they need to carefully pick the functionality either. In my opinion, it's the constant negativity programmers exhibit towards anything that's deemed to fall too much towards the creative side of things.

The feature is not just convenient, it IS a necessity. You and I know to tag files as sRGB before we upload them for display on the web, but for everyone like you and me, there are 50 that have no concept of that. Some of my friends shoot AdobeRGB "Because it's better" and then upload the files and wonder why they look like crap. Web designers have been begging for this functionality for years. That, and typography and design controls that CSS is only now starting to address.

IE started supporting it a few years ago, but you have to jump through so many hoops to make it work that it's literally useless.

I am tired of being told that design/typography/color rendering are secondary to the computer/internet experience. They are 50% of the package. A programmer that tells me those things aren't needed isn't writing software for people, but at best for other programmers.
    -Seb

My website

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    I'm sorry, but the Mozilla Foundation does not have to worry about resources. And with as many useless features built into Firefox lately, I don't think it's that they need to carefully pick the functionality either. In my opinion, it's the constant negativity programmers exhibit towards anything that's deemed to fall too much towards the creative side of things.
    LOL! I thought I was the only one who noticed the increasing bloat. Luckily, my default browser Opera is getting bloated more slowly. But Mozilla doesn't have the seemingly unlimited resources of an Apple or Microsoft. They choose the features most people will benefit from and notice. Yeah, geeks seldom understand or see the value of the creative side of things. Programming is NOT creative!

The feature is not just convenient, it IS a necessity. You and I know to tag files as sRGB before we upload them for display on the web, but for everyone like you and me, there are 50 that have no concept of that.
    Almost all editing programs and cameras are automatically set to sRGB. Those who change things to something such as Adobe RGB without having a clue are just silly and, luckily, a small minority.

I am tired of being told that design/typography/color rendering are secondary to the computer/internet experience. They are 50% of the package. A programmer that tells me those things aren't needed isn't writing software for people, but at best for other programmers.
    Exactly! But I really believe what I stated before: the issue is only important to a minority of of users no matter how annoyed you or a few others get.

Perhaps Apple's move will encourage Opera, Firefox, and IE to do the same thing. How hard could it be to add it (he asks in ignorance)? However, Safari just isn't all that good, even my Mac friends don't use it. Regardless of how nice this feature is it doesn't make up for the poor quality of the rest of it. No market share, no influence.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Thread Information