• 02-05-2004, 03:31 PM
    Photo-John
    1 Attachment(s)
    Press Release: Fuji S3 Pro
    FUJIFILM INTRODUCES EAGERLY ANTICIPATED FINEPIX S3 PRO PROFESSIONAL DIGITAL CAMERA

Advanced new sensor technology in Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro brings digital photography closer to film quality than ever before

VALHALLA, NY, February 5, 2004 - Fuji Photo Film U.S.A., Inc., today unveiled one of its most eagerly anticipated products -- the newest addition to its critically acclaimed line of professional digital cameras -- the Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro.

Among the FinePix S3 Pro's list of enhanced features is its one-of-a-kind Super CCD SR sensor technology designed specifically for professional photography. This proprietary technology creates a wider dynamic range to produce images that approach true photographic quality. As a result, the FinePix S3 Pro will capture highlight and shadow detail often lost by digital cameras in high contrast scenes. In addition, Super CCD SR sensor technology provides a higher level of sensitivity, improved signal-to-noise ratio and more natural color reproduction.

"For more than 70 years Fujifilm has had a pulse on the pro community and we are constantly developing new solutions to meet their specific needs, " said Jennifer Davalos, Product Manager, Photo Imaging Division, Fuji Photo Film U.S.A., Inc. "We understand that professional photographers demand and expect a finer level of detail, regardless of lighting conditions, and pro photographers will truly appreciate the FinePix S3 Pro for the overall image quality it provides."

FinePix S3 Pro Features:
    • Super CCD SR: With 12.3 million (S-pixel: 6.17 million, R-pixel: 6.17 million) effective pixels, the APS size (23x15.5mm), professional Super CCD SR sensor of the FinePix S3 Pro offers wider dynamic range plus overall improved quality for beautiful digital images, capturing more detail across a range of brightness in the same image.
    • Unique, Professional Body: The FinePix S3 Pro has a unique body designed and crafted to Fujifilm specifications. The solid, one-piece body is made from a durable polycarbonate and has a F-mount lens fitting for Nikon lens compatibility.
    • Horizontal/Vertical Shutter Release: Dual shutter release buttons facilitate both horizontal and vertical shooting.
    • Higher Resolution LCD: Newly developed two-inch, 235,000 pixel horizontal display delivers crisp, clear images and approximately 100% frame coverage.
    • Efficient Power Source: The FinePix S3 Pro is extremely efficient power-wise, running solely on four AA Ni-MH rechargeable batteries.
    • Built-in PC Sync Outlet: The PC-Sync connection allows strobes or other external flash systems to be connected to the FinePix S3 Pro. Flash sync speed is 1/180th of a second.
    • D-TTL Exposure Metering System: The FinePix S3 Pro offers Intelligent Flash with the D-TTL full-aperture exposure metering system providing outstanding results with all Nikon compatible speed lights. A first-time offering in a Fujifilm digital camera, this allows a new level of creative lighting options for FinePix S3 Pro users.
    • Dual Image Interfaces: The FinePix S3 Pro provides IEEE 1394 (FireWire) and USB 2.0 interfaces for camera control (IEEE1394 only) and high-speed image transfer.
    • Dual Media Slots: For xD-Picture Card and Microdrive storage.
    Pricing and availability of the FinePix S3 Pro will be announced soon.

For more information on Fujifilm products, consumers can call 800-800-FUJI or access the Fujifilm USA Web site at www.fujifilm.com

• 07-28-2004, 08:55 PM
    PuckJunkey
    Fuji Released More Info today...
    http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epa...&CAT_ID=234644

Looks to be a very impressive camera spec and feature-wise. Price will supposedly be around $2300 US according to some quoted material from Fuji UK people. I think. Anyway, it won't be price competitive with the D70, nor will it be $4000 either (as the D2X is likely to be).
  • 07-29-2004, 01:34 PM
    Franglais
    From what I understand
    The S-pixel/R-pixel stuff means that on the CCD you have two sizes of sensors, the large ones being more sensitive to light than the small ones. The result is a sensor that has an extra 2 stops of tonal range compared with a conventional sensor i.e. the highlights don't burn out so quickly.

My guess is that this camera will be fighting it out with mid-range 8Mpix digital SLR's (Canon 3D and Nikon D90). However it will be at the top of the price range because it will have the best sensor. But that's a pure guess on my part.

I wonder if this camera would work with my SB28?

Charles
  • 07-29-2004, 04:02 PM
    PuckJunkey
    From everything I've heard the street price will be under $2500 US. I suspect the "D2X" will be far more expensive, but probably not far more capable except maybe where frame rates and metering are concerned. As far as the photosites, this camera very definitely has a new design (it's no longer a smaller site piggybacking under the same microlens as the large site but rather two distinct sites, each with their own microlens apparently). While this is not the same as 12 million large sites, it is very definitely likely to produce a much higher resolution (not just DR) than a typical 6MP camera.

The thinking is that the S3 will be a roughly 9-10 MP (effective) camera, because those smaller photosites are taking in their own information and having it processed, as well as averaged with the information from the neighboring sites. Fuji is great at this sort of thing so I for one am pretty excited.

All the terminology is somewhat meaningless anyway because there's no real standard from manufacturer to manufacturer. I don't care what they call it as long as I can pull sharp 16x20 prints out of the thing without interpolating in Photoshop. Going to be a fun Fall, I suspect.
  • 07-31-2004, 07:17 PM
    coloradoamigo
    Charles...
    Reportedly the flash system used is D-TTL, so your SB28 should work, but only in TTL, unless yours is a SB28DX.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franglais
    The S-pixel/R-pixel stuff means that on the CCD you have two sizes of sensors, the large ones being more sensitive to light than the small ones. The result is a sensor that has an extra 2 stops of tonal range compared with a conventional sensor i.e. the highlights don't burn out so quickly.

My guess is that this camera will be fighting it out with mid-range 8Mpix digital SLR's (Canon 3D and Nikon D90). However it will be at the top of the price range because it will have the best sensor. But that's a pure guess on my part.

I wonder if this camera would work with my SB28?

Charles

• 08-01-2004, 07:08 AM
    jokola
    S3 and sb80dx
    I have the sb80dx flash... I assume from your last post that my flash would work with the S3?

Thanks,

Jennie

Quote:

Originally Posted by coloradoamigo
    Reportedly the flash system used is D-TTL, so your SB28 should work, but only in TTL, unless yours is a SB28DX.

• 08-01-2004, 02:18 PM
    another view
    I've been shooting an S2 for over a year and very impressed with it - except for flash. I use an SB28 since this camera is not D-TTL compatible. Using the flash on "A" mode is pretty accurate, much more than standard TTL (designed for film). I haven't heard the greatest things about D-TTL so I wonder if it would be any better than sticking with "A" mode.

And yes, the "DX" flashes - SB28DX, SB80DX, etc are the D-TTL units.
  • 08-18-2007, 09:22 AM
    kool100vr4
    Fuji S3 Pro my own review
    I have own Fuji S2 & S3 PRO for over 3 yrs now, i love the result images Fuji puts out, much better than any DSLRs i've own before. People are talking about Fujis are good for weddings and portraits, to me if its good for weddings and portraits its good for the rest, Fuji is not faster shooting than Canon or Nikon, but in the end the results that counts, look for samples here. it tells everything about Fuji DSLRs.Eventhough its the samples from new S5 but its says pretty much the same as S2& S3 vs Nikons.
    http://www.shadow.janikit.co.uk/fujinikondr.htm
    If your goal is to shoot 5 frames per second everyday then buy Canon or Nikon. If you care about image quality then buy Fujis. I've shot in 3fps with my Fujis many times in fine JPG mode without any problem. So i've sold all my Canon and Nikon gears and switched to Fujis and Sony for much better end results, im selling prints, i dont sell speed.
    You can see why i switched, the reasons are here in this gentlman's webpage.
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=24291058
    To see is to beleive, i had a chance to compared both of my Fuji s2 & S3 vs my newly Nikon D50 on the same lens, after about 300 shots the results were very easy to pick, pretty much the same as these samples you see here on these 2 links above. Fujis rules.
    I bought Nikon D50 because many reviews gave it a 5 star( noway its a 5 star) and Kent Rockwell said he could'nt tell the diff between D2X and D50 in images quality, thats a "BS", D50 is noway near the quality of Fujis. If D50 images look the same as D2X then shame on NIKON, D50 is just a beginner camera, it does beginner stuff. Kent Rockwell only said that so may be he could get free lunch from Nikon.
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d50.htm
    If you want a Nikon?, buy Sony A100 for more advance CCD than Nikon gets, you should know that Sony made CCD for all Nikon DSLRs. Plus you get Anti Shake in body ( thats means any lens will be stabilized when mounted on A100)i bought 4 lenses for A100 and they all very sharp, thats the big advanatage over Nikon, you will never have to worried about buy Nikon or Canon over price VR & IS lenses ever again.
    In additional, Fujis and Sony produce much better colors , sharpness, details contrast, more neutral, truer and more pleasing colors,and most of all the extend dynamic range, with very smoot details in hilites and shadows, not as Nikon always seems to blown hilite details,harsh details and plugged shadows, metering is hit or miss, therefore exposures is over or underexposed. Colors is off too.
    Please dont be stuck or wounded up with just 1 brand name, its not the way to be, if you really want to write reviews or get some knowledge about Digital cameras you should try many diff cameras as you can to see and learn what other brands can do. I personally would like to try or buy newly Sigma SD14 and S5, watch out for new Sony DSLRs coming out soon.
    Best sellers dont mean that its the best, if that was the case then everyone should drive TOYOTA?
    I dont wear Tshirt that say Canon or Nikon, infact i wear Tshirt that say JESUS SAVED!
    my 2 centz.
    JV :thumbsup: