Camera News and Rumors

Photography news and announcements for new digital cameras, film cameras, SLR lenses, and photography software.

New Camera and Photography News Section >>

Press Release: Canon i80 Wireless Mobile Printer

CANON'S NEW i80 MOBILE PRINTER SUPPORTS WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY AND IMPROVED PHOTO QUALITY

LAS VEGAS (PMA, BOOTH # E11), Feb. 9, 2004 – Canon's new i80 mobile printer enhances the quality and flexibility of portable printing. The world's most advanced mobile printer features a newly designed print head, optional Bluetooth Unit and an optional Automobile Power Unit. The i80 mobile printer will be available in mid-February for a suggested list price of $249.99.

"Our new i80 mobile printer expands beyond the traditional road warrior applications into environments like professional photographers on assignment, educators traveling from one classroom to another, college students with limited dorm space, real estate agents, pilots, military personnel, insurance agents and many others," said Yukiaki Hashimoto, senior vice president and general manager of the consumer imaging group at Canon U.S.A., Inc., a subsidiary of Canon Inc. (NYSE: CAJ). "The i80 mobile printer allows all of them to print much needed documents and photographs on the fly."

"The successor to our enormously popular i70 portable printer, the i80 model expands the flexibility and capabilities available to the end-user," added Hashimoto. "The enhanced wireless printing capabilities allow many Windows® users to print all types of data from their computers or print photos, schedules and address book lists from select PDAs, laptops or cell phones – without wires."

Canon has dramatically improved the photographic quality of the i80 mobile printer with an all-new print head. This new print head combines microscopic 2 picoliter nozzles that significantly reduce the size of the dots on the page for better photo quality with 5 picoliter nozzles for fast print speeds.
    The i80 mobile printer offers a maximum resolution of up to 4800 x 1200 color dpi. Utilizing the benefits of Canon's advanced MicroFine Droplet Technology™, the print head ejects consistent prescribed-volume ink droplets for smooth gradations, delivering accurate skin tones and rich, vibrant colors. To match the look of mini-lab prints, the printer supports edge-to-edge borderless printing in 4x6, 5x7 and 8.5x11 inch sizes.
    The new print head found on the i80 mobile printer increases print speeds up to 14 pages-per-minute (ppm) in black and up to 10 ppm in color. The maximum 14 ppm black speed ensures Canon has the fastest mobile printer on the market with black text speeds approximately 50 percent faster than the nearest competitor. To achieve the fast printing speeds of photos and documents, the i80 mobile printer incorporates 1,088 total nozzles into its print head.
    Wireless Printing In A Portable Package
    The optional user installable BU-10 Bluetooth Unit will have an estimated selling price of $79.99 and conceals nicely on the front of the printer under the smoke-gray cover. The i80 mobile printer also includes a built-in IrDA port.

Power-Up With Optional Car Charger
    Canon is also introducing a new optional Automobile Power Unit (PU-100U). The new Automobile Power Unit allows mobile users who frequently work from their car to charge or power their i80 mobile printer directly through a car power socket, helping to ensure they can print virtually anywhere. The Automobile Power Unit will also work with the i70 printer and will have an estimated selling price of $89.99.

The i80 mobile printer provides versatility of use by offering a couple of power options. The printer will come with a power cable for desktop and AC power use and the consumer has the option to purchase a Portable Kit (LK-51) that includes a Lithium Ion battery with a 450 page life per two-hour charge plus a battery holder that will allow the battery to be charged while on the unit for a suggested list price of $99.99, (extra Lithium Ion battery inserts are available for a suggested list price of $89.99) or a Cradle Kit (CK-51) that includes the Lithium Ion battery, the battery holder and a charging cradle for a suggested list price of $139.99.
    Simple And Direct Photo Printing
    Photo printing is a snap for the whole family with or without using the computer thanks to the inclusion of PictBridge featured on the new i80 mobile printer. PictBridge is an industry standard for digital printers, digital cameras and digital camcorders that allows the direct printing of images from PictBridge compatible digital cameras and camcorders to a PictBridge compatible printer, regardless of brand or manufacturer, without the use of a computer.
    In addition to PictBridge printing capabilities the i80 mobile printer includes Easy-PhotoPrint (an Exif Print compatible application) and Easy-WebPrint software. The Easy-PhotoPrint software allows users to print high quality digital photographs quickly and easily by automatically sizing digital images to print borderlessly on 4x6, 5x7 and 8.5x11 inch paper solving the aspect ratio dilemma. Easy-PhotoPrint software also improves digital image quality by helping to eliminate "photo noise" and enhance color saturation with the "Vivid Photo" driver enhancements. The included Easy-WebPrint software facilitates printing from the Internet by automatically formatting and scaling the output so that the entire page is printed even when it extends over multiple screens. This timesaving and cost-saving feature reduces waste and ensures that the selected pages are formatted to print properl! y without trimming the right-hand margin.
    Compatible with both Windows® and Mac® platforms (Windows XP, Windows 2000/ MillenniumEdition/98 and Mac OS (8.6 to 9.x) and Mac OSX v 10.2.1 to 10.3.x.), the i80 mobile printer also includes the Zoom Browser EX (Windows) and ImageBrowser (Mac) image management software, and PhotoStitch (for Windows and Mac) software that makes composite images from shots taken separately.
    For more information, visit www.usa.canon.com.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Press Release: Canon i80 Wireless Mobile Printer-i80%5B1%5D.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information