Camera News and Rumors

Photography news and announcements for new digital cameras, film cameras, SLR lenses, and photography software.

New Camera and Photography News Section >>

Photoshop Elements 3 Down and Dirty Tricks - Book Press Release

PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS 3 DOWN AND DIRTY TRICKS BOOK RELEASED BY SCOTT KELBY AND KW MEDIA GROUP

Tampa, FL – January 10, 2005 – KW Media Group, the premier resource for the Photoshop Elements community, announced today the release of their new book Photoshop Elements 3 Down & Dirty Tricks. This must-have book features Scott Kelby, best-selling author of The Photoshop Elements Book for Digital Photographers, as he unlocks the secrets of the most closely guarded Photoshop Elements 3 special effects. By using his simple step-by-step method, with hundreds of full-color images, you’ll see exactly how it’s all done.

“You’ll be able to re-create every technique in this book, regardless of your level of Photoshop Elements experience, and you’ll unlock the secrets for creating today’s hottest photographic effects – the same ones used by the top pros – and the same ones you see every day in magazines, on TV, in Hollywood, and on the Web. Techniques that would otherwise have taken years to learn, but are easy - once you know the secrets,” said Scott Kelby, author and editor-in-chief of Photoshop User magazine.

The Photoshop Elements 3 Down & Dirty Tricks book enhances the additional resources already available that includes the Photoshop Elements 3 Book for Digital Photographers, a new content and tutorial rich Photoshop Elements Techniques newsletter and the ultimate Elements website www.photoshopelementsuser.com that is loaded with tutorials, tips, a community forum and much more! For the ultimate Elements experience and to maximize your digital capabilities visit the website today.

Book Information:
    MSRP: $34.99 USA/$49.99 CAN + S&H
    PUB DATE: January 2005

Phone and Secure Internet Ordering
    Price: $34.99 US/$49.99 CAN
    Phone: 800-201-7323
    FAX: 813-433-5015
    Internet: www.scottkelbybooks.com
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Liz

Cool Now this is worth something!

This looks very interesting. I'm a "show & tell" person so I'm always hesitant to get a "how to" book, especially for PS (elements included). I'm afraid it might be too complicated. However, it sounds like this one is written in layman's terms.

I hope B&H has it - or will get it soon. I'm going there Thursday - and it's getting close to tax return time. Oh dear! My heart is beating faster.......(I use my tax return every year for some type of camera gear). Books (or software) don't usually fit into the scheme of things, but maybe I'll have to splurge and get PSE3 and the book.

I suppose it wouldn't make sense to get the book if you don't have PSE3 - I have PSE2 which is great.

Liz
    Last edited by Liz; 01-11-2005 at 03:23 PM. Reason: spel ing

Re: Photoshop Elements 3 Down and Dirty Tricks - Book Press Release

Scott's books are the best way to learn photoshop or improve your PS skills, each trick with a little imagination can be manipulated to suite other needs. He also doesn't bore you with an overload of words. Each lesson is short and to the point. Which makes his books great references.

He's also a very helpful person.

Having just finished two of Kelby's books, I can guarantee you that it won't be too complicated. His books are cookbooks that can be used by a total novice. In my opinion, this is also their downfall. He makes little attempt to explain the theory behind any of his recipes which makes for a shallow experience in my opinion. The only theory you will get out of these books is what you are able to synthesize yourself. But even with that complaint, the recipes he gives are very useful and I refer to them often.

Liz

Thanks. I really appreciate the input. I'm going to get the book. I hope it comes to Amazon soon and is less expensive.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by EmbeddedMatt
    Having just finished two of Kelby's books, I can guarantee you that it won't be too complicated. His books are cookbooks that can be used by a total novice. In my opinion, this is also their downfall. He makes little attempt to explain the theory behind any of his recipes which makes for a shallow experience in my opinion. The only theory you will get out of these books is what you are able to synthesize yourself. But even with that complaint, the recipes he gives are very useful and I refer to them often.

Hi Liz,

I'm not sure what theory people want? But I have heard that complaint before about Scott's books. Conversely, the books I have that go into theory rarely get picked up. I'm not so interested in the fine details of why. It's like with a camera, do you really need to know the theory of how the lens focuses to focus the lens?

For me, it's about cause and effect. Again, if you're observant and go through all the lessons you can figure most things out.

For instance, if the lesson has you apply some sort of selective mask to an image, then apply a mode which now only shows up in the non selected parts, just remember how you applied that mask and what the mode (eg effect, tool, etc) did. In the future you can use that selective mask technique, even select the inverse, and apply any mode. Or apply that mode to a completely different style of image.

When I look through Scott's newer, or anyone's, books, I can tell you that I've figured out most of the "new" stuff in them on my own or it's trivial. It's not so much new as it is a slight deviation or different application of something I've already learned. It's more or less a mix and match and how you apply it. PS is a bag of tools that you select to suite your needs.

BTW, I don't find amazon + shipping to be any cheaper than borders.

Liz

Thanks for the information and input - and for sharing your experience regarding Kelby's books. The book sounds like it was written for me. I find it challenging to read and apply unless it's simple step by step - you know, like those Dummy books (really, I don't like or use those).

I taught myself some basic elementary steps for editing in Elements 2 which I use for most of my pics. I also dislike working on computers because my work includes so much. For me, photography is using the camera and I try to do the best I can with that. I love it, it's relaxing and fun. I get very little time for photography, so the least amount of that time that I have to spend on the computer, the happier I am!

Amazon - I'm discovering that Amazon isn't always less expensive. I checked out their digital P&S cameras and found the prices outrageous! Actually I used Borders and Barnes&Noble at Christmas (free shipping there). The online prices are always cheaper and if you spend $25 it's always free shipping. I usually get it the next day or two.

Thanks for taking the time to post this valuable information.

Have a very happy, healthy and wonderful New Year 2005.

Liz

Thread Information