Camera News and Rumors

Photography news and announcements for new digital cameras, film cameras, SLR lenses, and photography software.

New Camera and Photography News Section >>

Pentax Chooses InvenSense Image Stabilization Technology - Press Release

Pentax Selects InvenSense Gyroscopes for Current and Future Camera Models Featuring Optical Image Stabilization

SUNNYVALE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--InvenSense, the leading provider of integrated motion sensing solutions for consumer electronics, today announced that Pentax Corporation has selected its IDG-1000 series dual-axis gyroscope for use in the Optio A30 digital camera and for next generation digital still camera (DSC) models with optical image stabilization features. InvenSense’s gyro is used to precisely measure the camera user’s hand shake which is compensated for using Pentax’s Shake Reduction (SR) technology for improved image capture in low-light settings and telephoto use.

Image stabilization is quickly becoming a standard feature in digital still cameras and is a key factor for why consumers are replacing their early-version cameras with new models. The IDG-1000 is the world’s first integrated MEMS gyroscope which addresses the widespread and fast growing need for image stabilization in digital cameras. Based on InvenSense’s proprietary and patented Nasiri-Fabrication process, the IDG-1000 is an integrated dual-axis (X- & Y- axis) solution using proven silicon technology resulting in the smallest foot print and the most robust solution in the market.

“Our Shake Reduction technology is a key feature to improve image quality for low-light settings and telephoto capture and separates our cameras from the competition,” said Tahei Morisawa, General Manager of First Development Department, Imaging System Business Headquarters in Pentax Corporation. “InvenSense’s dual-axis gyroscope solution provides the most accurate measurement that can ensure the best image stabilization results for our cameras and customers.”

“We are very happy that Pentax has selected our gyro solution to enable their proprietary high performance image stabilization system in an exceptional camera like the Optio A30 and future digital camera models," said Steven Nasiri, InvenSense’s President & CEO. “We are highly focused on the image stabilization market and we strive to provide our customers the best performing and most reliable solutions at the most reasonable prices.”

About InvenSense
    InvenSense, Inc. is the leading provider of motion sensing solutions for consumer electronics. The innovative Nasiri-Fabrication process is the patented fabless MEMS technology developed by InvenSense to dramatically reduce the cost of producing inertial sensors. The company’s fabrication technology and gyroscope sensor products are essential to emerging mass-market applications such as image stabilization, mobile navigation, location-based services and smart user interfaces that use hand motion and gesture-based commands. InvenSense was honored by Frost and Sullivan with the 2006 Product Innovation of the Year award for its IDG product line and Nasiri-Fabrication technology. Founded in 2003, InvenSense is a venture capital funded company with lead investors that include Artiman Ventures, Partech International and Qualcomm Ventures. InvenSense corporate offices are located at 1197 Borregas Avenue, Sunnyvale, Calif. More information can be found at www.InvenSense.com.

Related Content:
    Pentax Digital Camera Reviews >>
    Image Stabilization Guide >>
    Pentax Forum >>
    Pentax Web Site >>
    Pentax Camera News >>
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Liz

Re: Pentax Chooses InvenSense Image Stabilization Technology - Press Release

“Our Shake Reduction technology is a key feature to improve image quality for low-light settings and telephoto capture and separates our cameras from the competition,” said Tahei Morisawa, General Manager of First Development Department, Imaging System Business Headquarters in Pentax Corporation. “InvenSense’s dual-axis gyroscope solution provides the most accurate measurement that can ensure the best image stabilization results for our cameras and customers.”
    So......would it be true that Pentax' "shake reduction technology" will beat the "competitors" IS such as Canon? IOW - would it be more accurate and give you more stops? What now gives Pentax the lead? Anyone know what the difference would be and why? In layman's terms.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    So......would it be true that Pentax' "shake reduction technology" will beat the "competitors" IS such as Canon? IOW - would it be more accurate and give you more stops? What now gives Pentax the lead? Anyone know what the difference would be and why? In layman's terms.

Liz
    My answer is: who knows. It remains to be seen.

I posted this press release because I thought it gave a little insight into how these technologies are acquired and implemented. A lot of them come from third-party developers. I believe Canon has developed and manufactures their own IS system. But I don't know for sure. And it's entirely possible that InvenSense's system is the best. But the press release is basically marketing and there's no way to know without some hands-on testing and direct comparison.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Liz

Thanks John.....I love IS technology. As I've mentioned previously, I have a slight camera shake problem and there are no noticeable affects in my images when using IS. The interesting thing is that the IS lenses are quite heavy. However, the IS in the p&s cameras doesn't make the camera heavy. But it does work quite well.

It will be interesting to see what develops (excuse the pun).

Liz

Thread Information