Camera News and Rumors

Photography news and announcements for new digital cameras, film cameras, SLR lenses, and photography software.

New Camera and Photography News Section >>

Pentax *ist DS Digital SLR - Press Release

PENTAX Downsizes Digital SLR In Second Compact Camera:
    *ist DS Delivers Outstanding Image Quality

GOLDEN, Colorado (September 13, 2004)…PENTAX has downsized digital SLR photography once again with the introduction of the *ist DS digital SLR. Developed as a second, even smaller, PENTAX compact digital SLR, the *ist DS camera advances the PENTAX commitment to easy-to-use and portable digital.

The *ist DS is one of the smallest and lightest digital SLR cameras available. Measuring just 4.9 x 3.6 x 2.6 inches and weighing under 18 ounces, the *ist DS also delivers superior image quality in compact design. Despite the size, the *ist DS offers 6.1 effective megapixels and PENTAX original image processing technology. The camera is designed to be compatible with most PENTAX interchangeable lenses to meet a wide range of applications and visual creativity.

The *ist DS hosts an array of advanced, user-friendly features including a high-magnification viewfinder, a 2.0 inch color LCD monitor, a generous LCD data panel, and an innovative Auto picture mode for automatic selection of the proper exposure program. Offering quick, effortless operation and easy portability, the *ist DS is the ideal digital SLR for all levels of photographers, including first-timer digital SLR users and families.

PENTAX will unveil the *ist DS and other new and exciting digital products on
    September 20 at the PEPCOM Holiday Spectacular in New York City.

The PENTAX *ist DS will ship to major camera retailers in November 2004.

Major features of *ist DS include:

Compact, Portable Design
    Featuring a super-compact, ultra-lightweight body, the *ist DS offers outstanding portability. PENTAX downsized digital SLR technology by including a high-rigidity stainless-steel chassis, multi-layered electronic circuit boards and high-density packaging. The result is an extremely portable body, measuring just 4.9 x 3.6 x 2.6 inches and weighing under 18 ounces without batteries and SD memory card. The *ist DS is smaller and lighter than the acclaimed *istD.

High-definition, maximum-gradation images with 6.1 effective megapixels
    Thanks to its large, high-performance CCD image sensor, the *ist DS offers 6.1 effective megapixels. Coupled with original image processing technology from PENTAX, the camera produces high-definition images rich in gradation and saturation.

Compatibility with PENTAX interchangeable lenses
    The *ist DS offers the outstanding benefit of lens interchangeability that allows users to take advantage of a wide selection of existing PENTAX interchangeable lenses.**
    **PENTAX K-, KA-, KAF- and KAF2-mount 35mm-format lenses can be used without an adapter or modification. PENTAX screw-mount 35mm-format lenses and PENTAX 645- and 67-system lenses can be used with an adapter. Some functions may not be available with certain lenses.

Bright, high-magnification pentaprism viewfinder
    The *ist DS comes equipped with a glass pentaprism viewfinder offering a 95% field of view and a 0.95X magnification. The camera features a large, bright viewfinder image equal in size, clarity and brightness to viewfinders incorporated in conventional 35mm-format SLRs. This confirmation of the subject’s focus much easier, even in manual-focus mode.

Large color LCD monitor
    With a high-precision 2.0 inch color LCD monitor offering approximately 210,000 pixels, the *ist DS makes it quick and effortless to review recorded images and read menus.

Large LCD data panel
    The *ist DS features a large, easy-to-read LCD data panel on the top panel to allow easy, at-a-glance confirmation of the camera’s operational status and various settings.

User-friendly automatic operations
    The *ist DS is equipped to make camera operations simple and effortless for the user. Its innovative Auto picture mode automatically and instantly selects the optimum combination of exposure settings for a given subject or situation, including shutter speed, aperture, white balance, saturation, contrast, and intensity of edges. The built-in auto flash automatically pops up in dimly lit or backlit situations.

Simple, accessible operation system
    From the multi-function four-way controller to the responsive electronic select dial and the large, easy-to-use mode dial, all switches and dials are efficiently and functionally laid out around the *ist DS ’s compact body to assure smooth, fingertip control.

High-precision 16-segment multi-pattern metering
    The *ist DS incorporates an advanced 16-segment metering system to assure high-precision light measurement, even under complicated lighting conditions. Center-weighted metering and spot metering are also available to meet specialized applications.

High-accuracy 11-point AF sensor
    The *ist DS features the sophisticated SAFOX VIII AF system incorporating 11 AF sensors (nine of them constituting a cross-type wide-area sensor grid in the middle). It not only offers accurate, pinpoint autofocusing, but also allows the user to select one of the sensors to accommodate a specific image composition.

Superimposed AF sensor point indication
    The selected AF sensor point is highlighted in red in the viewfinder for easy visual confirmation.

1/4000-second high-speed shutter
    The *ist DS features a high-speed shutter unit with a top speed of 1/4000 second and a top synchronization speed of 1/180 second to assure greater visual creativity.

High-speed consecutive shooting
    The *ist DS records up to 8 images consecutively at a speed of approximately 2.8 frames per second, allowing the user to capture a series of the subject’s action or movement.

SD memory card compatibility
    The *ist DS uses the widely available SD memory card as its storage media, not only assuring high-speed recording and readout of image data, but also contributing to the downsizing of the camera body.

Additional features include:
    • 18 user-programmable custom functions to personalize camera operations to the user’s preferences
    • Noise-reduction system to minimize annoying digital noise during extended exposures
    • Dual power source, with a choice of two CR-V3 lithium batteries or four AA-size batteries
    • Effortless data uploading to a PC using the included USB cable (USB 2.0 compatible)
    • Functional playback functions, including 12X zoom display and nine-image thumbnail display
    • A choice of image format between JPEG (Best, Better or Good) or RAW
    • Interchangeable Natural-Bright-Matte focusing screen (AF Frame Matte screen included as standard; AF Split-Image Matte and AF Scale Matte screens available as optional accessories)
    • PENTAX PHOTO Laboratory 2.0 RAW-data processing software and PENTAX PHOTO Browser 2.0 browser software included
    • PictBridge compatibility

For more information please visit, www.pentaximaging.com
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Ranter and raver.

Re: Pentax *ist DS Digital SLR - Press Release

This is the first new camera I have been really excited about in a long time. As a long-time Pentax user, I tried to get excited about their first attempt, but most of the reviews said, basically, "great first attempt." I wasn't going to drop 1700USD on an 'A' for effort. It was overpriced and seemed to be almost great.

This seems like such an improvement, in both function and marketing. I have real hope that Pentax has gotten their stuff together and is read to compete with the big dogs. A friend of mine who owns a Nikon D70 looked at the dpreview.com and said that it looked like it could hold it's own with the D70 - for $300 less.

My only gripe about the *istD's new little brother is the lack of mirror lockup. That one's gonna hurt.

I liked the first one

I had a loaner *ist D for about 6 weeks and I enjoyed it a lot. I took it everywhere with me and felt I got some great photos with it. I didn't feel that it was really lacking compared to my 10D. The best thing about it was the small size. Here's a link to the camera test and review I posted:

Pentax *ist D Test

I will be testing the new one, too. I've already talked to Pentax about it. I'm looking forward to it.
    Photo-John

Re: I liked the first one

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I had a loaner *ist D for about 6 weeks and I enjoyed it a lot. I took it everywhere with me and felt I got some great photos with it. I didn't feel that it was really lacking compared to my 10D. The best thing about it was the small size. Here's a link to the camera test and review I posted:

Pentax *ist D Test

I will be testing the new one, too. I've already talked to Pentax about it. I'm looking forward to it.
    How are the people at Pentax pronouncing "*ist" when they talk about it?

Ranter and raver.

Chuck, this taken from John's *ist D review:

Everyone asks how to say, "*ist D". Maybe it makes more sense in Japan. I asked the Pentax folks and even they seemed a little unsure. I've been calling it the "star ist dee", and they called it the "ist dee". I think that they don't really care what you call it, as long as you buy one :-)
    Yeah, does anyone else feel like telling Pentax, okay, we get the concept, real hip. Can we call it the ZX-D now? I know, I know, different product line entirely. (not really, from a marketing standpoint).

I refer to it as the 'ist dee' but I am sure shortly after aquiring one it will be called something like *begin babytalk* 'mylittleittybittydigibaby'

I just hope the K1000 doesn't get jealous

Yeah, this is why I don't have children...

Quote Originally Posted by tijean
    Chuck, this taken from John's *ist D review:

Yeah, does anyone else feel like telling Pentax, okay, we get the concept, real hip. Can we call it the ZX-D now? I know, I know, different product line entirely. (not really, from a marketing standpoint).

I refer to it as the 'ist dee' but I am sure shortly after aquiring one it will be called something like *begin babytalk* 'mylittleittybittydigibaby'

I just hope the K1000 doesn't get jealous

Yeah, this is why I don't have children...
    Thanks, that cleared it up.

Re: I liked the first one

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    How are the people at Pentax pronouncing "*ist" when they talk about it?
    That's a good question. It's very possible it makes more sense in Japan. But the American Pentax people seemed to be unsure about the name, too. When I asked them, they pretty much said I could call it whatever I wanted. I've been calling it the "star-ist-dee".

I'm supposed to go on another road trip in a few weeks and I'm going to try to get one of the new cameras from them before I go.
    Photo-John

I have been a loyal Pentax user since the day my dad trusted me with a K1000 on a family vacation. I've "upgraded" twice in recent years, to a ZXL and hopefully this one soon. For some reason, Canons and Nikons never felt as good as a Pentax in my hands so I've been putting off getting a DSLR. This one looks worth it though. Does anyone know the actual price for this camera ? The Pentax website says under a grand, but that to me translates 999.99$. That's not exactly in my budget as a student, but any less than 900$ and I think I'll be content.

Ranter and raver.

It is already on Amazon for, - you guessed it - $999.95 with kit lens. I'm a self supporting student, so I'm rolling my pennies now. It's only two month's rent! *choaks*

And I just realized that I need to stop giving any weight to the anonymous comsumer online reviews. I wondered where I got my low opinion of the *ist D from, so I went back to some of the other review sites. One guy was griping because the *ist D ($1700 retail at it's highest, I believe) didn't have a full frame sensor. Another said that it was a great camera, but Pentax doesn't make many lenses (okay, so they didn't make many lenses specifically for it, but for the love of grape soda, they just said Pentax didn't make many lenses!). Apparently, you should not buy it because color saturation, though easily adjustable, is not high enough in default. Oh, and autofocus isn't the greatest AT NIGHT!

I mean, I'm all for keeping an open mind, but geez. Sorry, had to vent.
    Last edited by tijean; 10-20-2004 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tijean
    It is already on Amazon for, - you guessed it - $999.95 with kit lens. I'm a self supporting student, so I'm rolling my pennies now. It's only two month's rent! *choaks*

And I just realized that I need to stop giving any weight to the anonymous comsumer online reviews. I wondered where I got my low opinion of the *ist D from, so I went back to some of the other review sites. One guy was griping because the *ist D ($1700 retail at it's highest, I believe) didn't have a full frame sensor. Another said that it was a great camera, but Pentax doesn't make many lenses (okay, so they didn't make many lenses specifically for it, but for the love of grape soda, they just said Pentax didn't make many lenses!). Apparently, you should not buy it because color saturation, though easily adjustable, is not high enough in default. Oh, and autofocus isn't the greatest AT NIGHT!

I mean, I'm all for keeping an open mind, but geez. Sorry, had to vent.
    Hahaha, ohh, go figure ! I was four cents off. I don't really want another lens though, I'm perfectly content with my 28-200. But you know, if it's not perfect right out of the box, I don't know if it's worth it ! ;)

Thread Information