Camera News and Rumors

Photography news and announcements for new digital cameras, film cameras, SLR lenses, and photography software.

New Camera and Photography News Section >>

How cheap is the USA..?

Hay all.

Ok, i am from South Africa and last week I decided to Buy a digital camera. So I did a seach on the web (thinking that I could get it cheaper). I am stupified!!! how cheap are thing in America..? I me I came across this site Here and they are selling things for next to nothing! Even if you changed it into rands, its still like quater the price of the camera's we get down here. Is this trully possible..?

Please let me know

Regards
    Gilham

Re: How cheap is the USA..?

Check some legitimate dealers for real prices. Remember: If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is a scam. Look at B&H, Adorama, Delta, Digitalfotoclub, NewEgg and see their prices. If you find a price substantially lower--or even a little lower--check out the seller at resellerratings.com. In fact, check out any online dealer! If the seller is not listed or has a low rating (be sure to read the users' comments, then avoid them. If they have only a few comments and a high rating, then assume that the company's employees posted the ratings. A good rating at resellerratings.com with a lot of users and good comments, and you can worry less.

Remember there is always risk when you order from a foreign country. Don't assume that a U.S. dealer is OK. We've got some of the biggest crooks anywhere "selling" camera equipment. Some are out and out crooks. Some will require that you buy some accessories at inflated prices in order to get the good price you were quoted. Others will even substitute inferior products for what you ordered.

Also, I don't know about tax issues there, but many places have VAT charged at the time of import. Add freight and possible warranty issues, and you may find that the local prices are not so bad after all.

Good luck to you with your search.

I live in the southwest USA, and last week I met a british photographer who was going to buy a canon 1D mark II in london, then found out that he could get it for $2000 less in new york, so he flew over to the states, baught the camera, and used the difference to take a three month long tour of the states. Smart guy.

Good Story

Quote Originally Posted by Ryguyinlj
    I live in the southwest USA, and last week I met a british photographer who was going to buy a canon 1D mark II in london, then found out that he could get it for $2000 less in new york, so he flew over to the states, baught the camera, and used the difference to take a three month long tour of the states. Smart guy.
    If I move to London, can I come back here, buy a camera, and take a three week vacation?

You should post this on the Digital SLRs or ViewFinder forums. It's a good story and it will get more response there.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

And if something goes wrong with the camera Canon UK won't fix it, as warranties on Digital Cameras are Continent Specific, that is, must be bought in UK to be fixed in UK, or USA to be fixed in USA, or in Australia to be fixed in Australia. Is that worth taking the chance if something goes wrong with it.

The British pound sterling is almost 2:1 against the dollar. I've shopped over there and things are pretty expensive. For instance, it seems the standard price for music CDs is £9.99. But that means you're paying almost $20 for the CD. I can get most CDs for about $15 here if I pay full price. I would guess that's a fairly accurate conversion ... I probably pay about 25% more for everything over there.

Hey, did I mention I'm going to London over the New Years holiday? ~YAY~
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I'm seriously thinking of going the other way, using the 2:1 ratio in my favour !
    We are still getting charged $:£ 1:1 in the high street shops

We'll be with friends in Bromley, Kent over new year.
    About 30 minutes from Victoria station.
    If anyone's organising a London gathering around New Year - see you there!
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thread Information