Camera News and Rumors

Photography news and announcements for new digital cameras, film cameras, SLR lenses, and photography software.

New Camera and Photography News Section >>

Commonwealth Photographic Awards

2004 is the year for ‘Youth’ at the Commonwealth Photographic Awards

Entries are now being invited for the 2004 Commonwealth Photographic Awards.

The overall theme for the Awards this year is ‘Youth’. This is an open competition for all Commonwealth residents. The photographs will be judged on the interpretation of the theme as well as technical quality.

A special category - ‘Young Snappers’ - has been created this year for young people who will be aged 12 to 18 on 1 September 2004.

The overall winner of the Awards will receive £2000 sterling, and further prizes will be awarded to the regional winners and to the winning ‘Young Snapper’.

An additional award - ‘The Dan Eldon Prize’ - will be awarded to a young photographer (aged 18-30 on 1 September 2004) whose work is used for social or humanitarian purposes. Dan Eldon – a photojournalist – was born in London and raised in Kenya. He worked as a photographer for Reuters news agency in Africa, and was only 22 years old when he was killed on a street in Mogadishu in 1993.

The Awards are organised by the Commonwealth Press Union (CPU), in collaboration with the Commonwealth Broadcasting Association (CBA).

CPU Training Director, Jane Rangeley said, “There are 53 countries in the Commonwealth and 1.8 billion people. Our roles at the CPU and the CBA are to improve communication in these countries. We therefore endeavour, via these Awards, to promote photography as an important form of media.”

The new awards for young people reflect the fact that today it is estimated that half of the Commonwealth – 900 million people – is under the age of thirty. The Queen, in her capacity as Head of the Commonwealth, has said that the Commonwealth needs to “matter to its younger members”.

Ms Rangeley said that including younger people in the competition, gives them the opportunity to offer a view of how the youth in the Commonwealth, with its mixture of races, creeds and ways of life see themselves and others.

Most of the winning photographs will be featured in a television programme based on the Awards and made available for broadcast in more than 40 countries around the Commonwealth.

There will also be several exhibitions taking place in Commonwealth cities and featuring the winning images.

The Awards are sponsored by The Commonwealth Foundation, Toronto’s Globe & Mail, The Royal Commonwealth Society and the Commonwealth Telecommunications Organisation (CTO).

The CPU is an association whose membership includes over 1,500 newspapers and news agencies. It aims to monitor and oppose any measures or proposals likely to affect the freedom of the press; work to improve facilities for reporting and transmitting news; and promote the training of all involved in the Commonwealth’s press.

The CBA works for quality broadcasting throughout the Commonwealth. It furthers management and broadcast skills; fosters freedom of expression and the right to communicate; and provides a point of contact and a forum for discussion.

The final deadline is Sunday 30 May 2004.

To see terms and conditions and the full details on the Awards, plus winning photographs from previous years, please visit www.cpu.org.uk

Photo, by Steve Ferrier of Australia, is from the 2003 Commonwealth Photographic Awards.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

So, like, rub it in, eh?

"This is an open competition for all Commonwealth residents..."

So, let's see, that would make Hodgy, Spike (maybe), and YOU the only ones on this site that can enter, right?

Fine! I'll just go and find my own contest...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Nope

Since I'm not currently a Commonwealth resident, I can't enter either. But in an effort to cater to our International community, I thought this should be included. I'll post US stuff, too. I promise:-)

And if you really want to enter, you could move to Canada, eh.
    Photo-John

And here I thought...

...you had a summer home in Saskatoon.

Not even a mail drop???

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Since I'm not currently a Commonwealth resident, I can't enter either. But in an effort to cater to our International community, I thought this should be included. I'll post US stuff, too. I promise:-)

And if you really want to enter, you could move to Canada, eh.

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Nope. But ideally, I'd have a summer house in Vancouver and a winter house in Vegas
    Photo-John

Hey, Steve, that's a little offensive, , Australia is a big Part of the Commonwealth too you know. 53 countries and 1.8 billion people, add me to that little list of qualifiers as well.

The SECOND after I posted...

...I thought of you and your mates, Peter.

I swear on Her Majesty's, eh...TIARA... ;)

It's just that when PJ goats me into another one of those "American vs.Canadian" fights, I just completely forget about the rest of the world.

Hey, TYPICAL American, eh???

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    Hey, Steve, that's a little offensive, , Australia is a big Part of the Commonwealth too you know. 53 countries and 1.8 billion people, add me to that little list of qualifiers as well.

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

How could I do that? I'd be fighting with myself.

Actually it's kind or nice to feel like I have the right to make fun of Muricans and the MacKenzie Brothers.
    Photo-John

I'm glad that you took my comments with the same intention they were given. Tongue in cheek Steve.

How about me EH!

Or Am I disqualified by being Scot's & Canadian
    Happy to Photograph
    Norman

Thread Information