Camera News and Rumors

Photography news and announcements for new digital cameras, film cameras, SLR lenses, and photography software.

New Camera and Photography News Section >>

Nikon 18-200mm AF-S DX VR Lens - Press Release

Nikon Adds Versatile New 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6g IF-ED AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor Lens To Its DX Nikkor Line of Lenses

New Lens Offers Enhanced VR Vibration Reduction System in a Compact and
    Lightweight 11.1x High Power Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLRs

MELVILLE, N.Y., Nov. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- Nikon Inc.(http://www.nikonusa.com) today introduced the new 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor lens, a compact, lightweight 11.1x zoom lens that is ideal for high performance everyday photography and incorporates advanced features such as Nikon's Extra Low Dispersion (ED) glass, Silent Wave Motor technology (SWM) and Enhanced Vibration Reduction (VR II), in a DX-Nikkor design engineered exclusively for use with Nikon DX format digital SLR cameras. With a remarkable 18-200mm focal length range (picture angle equivalent to a 27-300mm lens in 35mm format), the lens conveniently covers everything from wide landscapes to tight portraits and action photography. Advanced Nikon engineering has lent the lens a compact lightweight design that offers excellent handling characteristics and superb optical quality.

"Nikon's range of DX Nikkor lenses, designed specifically for Nikon digital SLR cameras, has grown substantially since the introduction of the category, and the new 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor lens is an excellent addition offering Nikon digital SLR photographers an advanced all-purpose lens with superb optical performance and Enhanced Vibration Reduction capabilities," said Edward Fasano, general manager for Marketing, SLR Systems Products, at Nikon Inc. "Nikkor lenses are famous for their breathtaking sharpness, optimal contrast and consistent color rendition across its range of lenses with varying focal lengths. Now with the 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor, Nikon photographers will be able to take advantage of remarkable versatility in one lens with assurance of the outstanding Nikkor image performance that has made Nikkor lenses renowned worldwide."

Beyond the lens' incredible optical versatility is the benefit of Enhanced VR II Vibration Reduction an innovation that makes it possible to take substantially sharper handheld pictures at slower shutter speeds than would otherwise be possible. This provides the distinct advantage of being able to shoot more effectively in a much broader variety of challenging conditions. With the new Nikon VR II advantage, users can take pictures at shutter speeds as many as 4 stops slower* than they ordinarily could shoot without the image degrading blur associated with camera shake at slow shutter speeds. Nikon's VR technology further enhances picture taking potential with a choice of two modes to match most shooting conditions. VR Normal Mode primarily compensates for camera shake, and includes automatic panning detection, as well as automatic tripod detection. VR Active Mode effectively compensates for vibration in situations where it is more pronounced and more frequent, such as when shooting from a moving vehicle.

To further ensure outstanding optical performance, the 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor features two Extra-Low Dispersion (ED) glass elements and three complex aspherical lens elements that provide for higher resolution, high-contrast images while minimizing chromatic aberration, astigmatism and other forms of distortion. The lens also features Nikon's compact Silent Wave Motor technology (SWM), which combines fast and precise autofocusing with super-quiet operation, as well as Internal Focusing (IF) construction that allows the lens to focus without changing its external size, improving balance and handling chrematistics.

All of Nikon's DX Nikkor lenses are engineered exclusively for use with Nikon DX format digital SLR cameras, making the lens smaller and lighter while providing exceptional center-to-edge-to-corner image quality and overall optical performance. With the addition of the 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor lens, Nikon photographers can choose from over 50 Nikkor lenses, ranging from the amazing 10.5mm f/2.8G ED AF DX Fisheye to the astounding 600mm f/4D ED-IF AF-S II super Telephoto.

The 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor lens will be available beginning in December 2005 for an estimated selling price of $699.95**. For more information about Nikon and the Nikkor brand of optics, please visit http://www.nikonusa.com.

18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor: Major Features
    • Offers the broad 18-200mm focal range (11.1x zoom) for use in a variety of situations (equivalent to a 27-300 mm lens in 35mm format) VR II Vibration Reduction system offers the practical equivalent of using a shutter speed 4 stops faster
    • Two ED glass and three complex aspherical lens elements minimizechromatic aberration, astigmatism and other forms of distortion,while ensuring high resolution and contrast
    • Incorporates a compact SWM (Silent Wave Motor) for quiet focusing
    • Delivers high-level optical performance that is specially designed for use with the Nikon digital SLRs
    • Employs a seven-blade rounded diaphragm opening that achieves a natural blur for out-of-focus elements
    • Enables focusing from as close as 50cm (20 in.) from the subject through its entire focal range
    • M/A mode for rapid switching between autofocus and manual focus operation
    • Internal Focusing (IF) design simplifies the use of circular polarizing filters
    • Nikon Super Integrated Coating (SIC) offers superb color reproduction while minimizing ghosting and flare
    • Flower-shaped Lens Hood HB-35 (included) greatly reduces stray light, enhancing image quality
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Hawt!

I want one with a Canon mount, please

I am always dreaming about the perfect mountain biking lens. This looks like the one! Right now I go back and forth between my Canon 28-135mm IS and the Tamron 28-75mm XR Di. And I also always carry my fisheye. But if I had a lens with that range and image stabilization, there would be no question about what to take. I hope Canon is paying attention!
    Photo-John

Cool Re: Hawt!

yo..
    fyi!..you can buy the sigma or tamron 18-200mm, or 24-135mm, or 18-105mm,many choices on tamron and sigma, you should know that??, they do make alot more choices than nikon and canon..these lenses can be as good or better..
    on that note, ive sold both of my canon 28-135mm IS,and nikon 24-120mm, coz they werent good enuf for me as far as shapness..i replaced them with tamron 28-105mm f2.8, and tamron 24-135mm, these are much better lenses. i think!!..
    chao
    jv

to-John]I want one with a Canon mount, please

I am always dreaming about the perfect mountain biking lens. This looks like the one! Right now I go back and forth between my Canon 28-135mm IS and the Tamron 28-75mm XR Di. And I also always carry my fisheye. But if I had a lens with that range and image stabilization, there would be no question about what to take. I hope Canon is paying attention![/QUOTE]

MTB Lens

Sharpness is nice. But when it comes to riding long distances with a camera, having a light, flexible setup is more important than image quality. If the lens is too heavy, it's not making the trip, so who cares. The combination of zoom range and Vibration Reduction is what makes the Nikkor 18-200mm so compelling. Right now I'm riding with either my Canon 28-135mm IS or a Tamron 28-85mm f/2.8. Any lens is a compromise. But a long zoom range with good image quality is more likely to help me get the shot than a huge, heavy f/2.8 lens with limited range.
    Photo-John

learning member

Re: MTB Lens

From what I have read, the 18-200 vr is very sharp. And about the same size-weight as the 18-70, makes it a great traveller. Give Cannon some time. Or buy a Nikon!
    Mark.

Thread Information