• 09-15-2004, 12:50 PM
    Photo-John
    1 Attachment(s)
    Konica Minolta Maxxum/Dynax 7D - Press Release
    KONICA MINOLTA
    Dynax7D/Maxxum7D
    The world’s first*1 digital SLR camera with revolutionary, body-integral,
    Anti-shake technology

Konica Minolta is delighted to unveil the Konica Minolta Dynax7D/Maxxum7D. This groundbreaking new 6.1-million-pixel resolution, lens-changeable digital camera is the world’s first digital SLR boasting a body-integral CCD-shift, “Anti-shake” (camera-shake compensation) technology that combines enhanced picture quality, performance and improved handling characteristics. And the Dynax7D/Maxxum7D is compatible with the full range of Dynax/Maxxum AF lenses.

The Konica Minolta Dynax7D/Maxxum7D is a lens-changeable digital SLR camera that inherits many of the high-specifications and performance from the Dynax/Maxxum series SLR cameras. Introduced in 1985, the Minolta Maxxum 7000/Minolta 7000 boasted another world first; the first 35mm film SLR with a fully-fledged AF system able to use interchangeable AF lenses. The new model’s high technological standards and heritage make it an intensely appealing camera.

The Dynax7D/Maxxum7D is a digital SLR created using a broad range of unique, sophisticated photographic technologies each developed with years of camera making experience for amateur and professional photographers alike.

The unique, built-in CCD shift-type “Anti-shake” technology makes the new camera the first digital SLR to feature a body-integral Anti-shake function. The key benefit of Anti-shake being it can support all Konica Minolta AF lenses.*2 Anti-shake technology allows photography with reduced blur due to camera shake, even when shooting dimly lit scenes or when using telephoto lenses and shooting macro subjects without the aid of flash or a tripod.

Another key to the new camera’s performance are its 6.1-million effective pixels, housed on a large size CCD plus Konica Minolta’s proprietary, CxProcess™ III image processing technology that delivers high-definition, natural-looking images.

High speed image processing is achieved using the all-new Advanced LSI engine designed to help provide fast data handling for improved camera responsiveness and control.

The camera also boasts a large, easy-to-view, high-definition 2.5-inch color LCD monitor housed on it’s back-plate, the large screen handles the tasks of menu navigation and image display, also providing shooting information and camera setting displays.

In keeping with its acclaimed Dynax/Maxxum film SLR counterpart, the Dynax7D/Maxxum7D inherits a similar, simple to use dial and lever operation system. Enhancing handling further, the new model also features a superbly-bright, easy-to-view, high-performance viewfinder designed to be comfortable and easy to use.

In addition, the new digital SLR offers a comprehensive function set, designed to meet a diverse range of photographic challenges and user needs, complemented by a broad range of Dyanx/Maxxum accessories that give photographers a complete system back-up.

Product Highlights
    <ol><li>World’s first*1 digital SLR to be equipped with a body-integral, CCD-shift camera-shake compensation “Anti-shake” technology that supports all compatible interchangeable AF lenses*2.
    <li>Stunning picture quality derived from a high resolution, 6.1-million-pixel (effective) CCD and original CxProcess™ III image processing technology.
    <li>A large, easy-to-view 2.5-inch high-definition color LCD monitor that combines menu navigation with image and data display.
    <li>Combines simple operation in a stylish, compact package inheriting the product ideals of the Dynax/Maxxum range of film SLRs. Upgraded, high-end shooting and versatile imaging functions designed to satisfy any photographer’s needs, whether they are amateur or enthusiast.
    <li>Excellent system back-up and accessories to cater to a broad range of shooting styles and conditions. </ol>
    Features
    <ol><li>The world’s first*1 digital SLR with body-integral Anti-shake Technology and CCD Shift Mechanism, including compatibility with Minolta A-Mount optics and allowing all Konica Minolta interchangeable AF lenses to be used.*2
    <li>The award winning Anti-shake technology was selected as “European Photo Innovation of the Year 2004 – 2005” by EISA*4 and provides the equivalent correction effect*3 with a shutter speed 2 - 3 steps slower.
    Now it’s possible to reduce blur caused by camera shake, even when taking photos in dimly lit or twilight scenes, in natural light with a telephoto lens, as well as macro shots – without relying on a higher ISO setting, the aid of a flash or tripod. Anti-shake responds quickly to both broad, slow-swaying motion of the camera body and the higher frequency shaking typical of camera shake caused by the photographer’s hands.
    The Anti-shake technology can be switched on or off via a dedicated switch on the camera’s back and when active, an Anti-shake indicator is displayed on the viewfinder to keep the user informed when it’s active.
    <li>Consistently high picture quality is ensured by the 6.1-million-effective-pixel APS-C size CCD, the unique CxProcess™ III image processing technology, and a combination of Konica Minolta’s expertise in photosensitive materials and exposure control technologies. Each is integrated here in the new model to ensure superb picture quality and to help make the most of any attached AF optic.
    <ul><li>Large 6.1-million-effective-pixel APS-C size CCD allows shooting of high-resolution images that have a wide dynamic range but with reduced noise, in highlight and shadows.
    <li>A newly developed Advanced LSI image processing engine for the Dynax7D/Maxxum7D that enables high-speed processing of large quantities of data and designed to improve image processing at high-sensitivity settings ensuring reduced image noise while retaining high picture quality. This combination also helps ensure a handling response similar to the smooth-shooting rhythm associated with 35mm film SLRs.
    <li>CxProcess™ III is an original, image processing technology designed to provide impressive and natural-looking images. CxProcess™ III, achieves these stunning, natural-looking images by integrating a broad range of photographic technologies gained from Konica Minolta’s long years of experience in this field. It ensures clear and crisp pictures, natural skin tones and packs in detail, ideal for shooting landscapes or macro subjects. </ul><li>Large, easy-to-view monitor that works as both the menu Navigation Display and image playback/review screen.
    <ul><li>Easy-to-View 2.5-inch High-Definition LCD Monitor
    Mounted on the camera's back-plate is the large, easy-to-view 2.5-inch, high-resolution, 207,000-pixel color monitor. It quickly and clearly displays captured shots for fast image appraisal. Image histogram data can be overlaid without obscuring the displayed image and thanks to its large size, it can display up to a 16-frame thumbnail index display.
    <li>Menu and Navigation Display
    The LCD monitor works as a Navigation Display allowing seamless operation with clear and concise camera settings displayed with comprehensive shooting information, indicated with large, easy to read text. Aiding ease of use further, the display automatically switches from horizontal to vertical format when shooting in the upright “portrait” format.</ul>
    <li>Simple operation and a stylish, design ethos that inherits design features and ease of use from its Dynax7/Maxxum7, 35mm film SLR camera heritage. <ul><li>Intuitive Operation with Dial-&-Lever System
    The new model inherits the dial and lever operation system from the Dynax7D/Maxxum7D, a system highly regarded by owners of that system for its user friendliness. It offers intuitive operation, making it particularly good for users moving up to the new, digital model from the silver halide SLR predecessor. The exposure-compensation dial and easy to use exposure-mode dials is also borrowed from the Dynax7D/Maxxum7D, making it familiar and helping users respond quickly to changing shooting conditions or rapidly changing picture opportunities. A separate white-balance lever is provided for fast white balance control, enhancing the ease of use still further.
    <li>Easy-to-View, High-Performance Viewfinder
    A spherical acute matte focusing screen is used in the viewfinder for accurate, bright critical focusing assessment. The new model incorporates an optical glass pentaprism viewfinder with a 0.9X magnification factor and 95% field of view for easy scene assessment and composition.
    <li>Highly Durable and Reliable Magnesium-Alloy Body
    The new camera is compact and stylish with a combination of metal paneling body covering. It has a robust build quality thanks to its magnesium alloy front body panel and base; the tough build also enhances camera reliability.</ul>
    <li>Enhanced shooting functions and versatile control designed to satisfy high-end enthusiast and amateur users. <ul><li>High-Performance, High-Speed AF
    The new model incorporates a central, cross hair type, 9-point and 8-line AF sensor array providing high-precision AF and high performance subject tracking of moving subjects within the frame. The AF system enables both Predictive Focus Control and Subject Tracking for high-speed focus adjustment of moving subjects, making it ideal for fleeting moments or sports photography.
    <Li>RAW+JPEG Simultaneous Recording
    You can choose to shoot either JPEG or RAW images or both combined with the simultaneous RAW + JPEG dual-format capture mode for improved, post-shoot workflow.
    <li>High-Speed Continuous Advance and Image Processing with Large Capacity Image Buffer
    The new model allows high speed continuous shooting of up to 9 consecutive frames at up to 3-frames per second in both RAW or RAW+JPEG modes thanks to a large image buffer. Additionally, it also allows continuous shooting of up to twelve 3008x2000 JPEG images at the extra-fine image-quality setting and fifteen JPEG images the same size at the fine image-quality setting. These high-speed shooting capabilities are ideal for capturing momentary expressions, sports or fleeting action shots while retaining high picture quality throughout.
    <li>Comprehensive Image Adjustment and Control for Creative Picture Capture
    a) Image correction:
    5-step fine control adjustment for sharpness, contrast, color saturation and hue.

b) White balance (WB) setting:
    In addition to the auto mode, the new camera has six presets for WB plus a custom mode for precise white balance settings in difficult lighting conditions. This model also features numerical setting for color temperature, which gives photographers a higher degree of color temperature matching. Fine-tuning is possible over a range from 2500K to 9900K in 100K increments, providing a broader range than with the auto white balance or preset white balance alone.

c) Zone Matching
    New technology that allows the precise reproduction of tonal gradations in highlights and shadows, essential in difficult shooting conditions with predominant highlight and helps ensure noise-free low-light images. The Zone Matching system permits effective control of high and low key tone capture; the former important for highlight capture in shots such as white in a wedding dress, the latter for low light situations.</ul>

<li>A wide variety of system accessories are also available, adding versatility for all shooting styles and adding flexibility for any photographer’s needs. <ul><li>The dedicated VC-7D Vertical Control Grip for Dynax7D/Maxxum7D connects to the camera body and provides a reassuringly firm grip on the camera, it enhances easy, upright camera control and overall ease of use, particularly when shooting upright, portrait-format shots.
    <li>a) Comfortable operation and handling for vertical shooting
    The VC-7D’s sure-hold grip gives confident handling characteristics and the grip has a dedicated shutter-release button, front and rear control dials, AF/MF control button, AE lock button and AF area selector button, thereby delivering comfortable and reassuring handling characteristics to the camera in either horizontal or vertical shooting situations.
    b) Dual lithium-ion batteries can be attached at once
    The VC-7D allows two lithium-ion batteries to be used simultaneously for an enhanced power supply. This allows photographers to take advantage of shooting many more images before worrying about recharging the batteries.
    c) AA batteries can also be used
    Adding still more versatility, standard AA Ni-MH batteries can also be used.
    <li> A broad range of Dynax/Maxxum-system accessories are available including D-series flash units, remote cords and an angle viewfinder. The D-series flash and D-series lenses, which include built-in focus distance calculation, the new model gives improved exposure accuracy. Combined with high-precision ADI flash metering, the camera provides high-precision lighting control that answers the most demanding and diverse needs.
    <li>DiMAGE Master is optional software to improve creative workflow
    for advanced users. Diversified tools for classifying and comparing images boost work efficiency of selecting the best shots. Newly developed RAW processing program enables more accurate color reproduction. </ul></ol>
  • 09-15-2004, 12:57 PM
    Photo-John
    Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sample Images
    Konica Minolta has posted two sample images on their Web site. Here's a link to that page: http://konicaminolta.com/products/co...mpleimage.html
  • 09-16-2004, 04:16 PM
    Photo-John
    3 Attachment(s)
    More Maxxum 7D Images
    Here are three more photos of the Maxxum/Dynax 7D that I just got from the Konica Minolta PR people.
  • 09-23-2004, 09:22 AM
    MaxPower
    I'm looking forward to this camera.

Economically, It doesn't make sense for me to get a NIkon or Canon Digital SLR. With Minolta stepping up to the plate, I can utilize my current lens arsenal with this camera :D

Maybe next year I'll take the leap into the world of Digital SLR's.
  • 09-23-2004, 01:23 PM
    Photo-John
    It's even better than that.
    Not only does it make sense for you to stick with Konica Minolta because of your lenses, but this camera has their Anti-Shake technology built into the body. It's more than just the first digital SLR from Konica Minolta. It's a whole new concept in SLR design. I think it's a very exciting camera and a challenge to the other digital SLR manufacturers.
  • 09-24-2004, 11:43 AM
    MaxPower
    I'm just going to have to save up my pennies for this one though.

The price tag for this in Canada is around $2200. This includes a vertical grip and flash.

Still cheaper for me than going with the others.

Now, where's my son's piggy bank....... ;)
  • 10-09-2004, 09:05 PM
    Clemmie
    Re: Konica Minolta Maxxum/Dynax 7D - Press Release
    Let me add three more links to the knowledge base - all of which have developed in the past few days, in conjunction with the formal introduction at Photokina.

The full overview, from the K-M Global site:
    <
    http://konicaminolta.com/products/consumer/digital_camera/slr/maxxum
    -7d/index.html>

A 15-page PDF of the official announcement from K-M/Europe, with the
    most comprehensive specifications I've seen thus far:
    <
    http://www.konicaminoltaeurope.com/pk04/en/txt/d7d.pdf>

21 Pictures taken with the 7D, on a walkabout near the show in
    Cologne, Germany - using the two new Lenses also being introduced
    there, and testing a variety of shooting parameters:
    <
    http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/?gallery=konicaminolta7d_preview/>

The 7D is expected to actually be in the stores by the end of October/first part of November.
  • 10-12-2004, 03:38 PM
    Photo-John
    Clemmie-
    Thanks, that's good stuff. The sample photos look very good. I did find some purple fringing in one. But I don't think it's a big deal. I think this camera is going to be very cool. I'm wondering if it's going to shake things up with Canon and Nikon.
  • 10-13-2004, 02:13 AM
    dhanavi518
    hi ...the camera looks superb....can anyone tell me how does it stand against the dimage 7i. I am using the minolta 7i for couple of years and i think it is just great

Appreciate if anyone can fill me in on this....

regards
  • 10-27-2004, 10:43 AM
    ShutterEyes645
    The biggest difference is that the Dimage 7i (which i use at work) does not have interchangable lenses (even though it looks like an SLR, it is not). the 7i is 5 megapixels. While the yet to be released 7D is indeed an SLR and ANY Minolta Maxxum lens can be used with it. It is also has a resolution of 6 megapixels. Also, the 7i does not have Konica-Minolta;s new Anti-Shake Feature. The 7D (as well as A1 and A2 as far as i know) do have it. the D7 basically functions as a the Maxxum 7 does, but now with anti-shake and digitalized!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhanavi518
    hi ...the camera looks superb....can anyone tell me how does it stand against the dimage 7i. I am using the minolta 7i for couple of years and i think it is just great

Appreciate if anyone can fill me in on this....

regards

• 10-27-2004, 02:24 PM
    SmartWombat
    The successor to the Dimage 7i (and 7Hi) digital is the A1 and A2, which both have anti-shake. It's basically the same 7x zoom lens, with longer lasting NiMH batteries, electronic viewfinder (the A2 finder is higher resolution) and 5 or 8 megapixels.

The new Maxxum/Dynax 7D DSLR looks interesting; with that in camera anti-shake you pay for only once, instead of buying IS in every lens.

But I'm not sure how it compares to similar specification Nikon and Canon - would that be the D70 and 20D ? Particularly if you are starting out afresh, with no investment in lenses etc.
  • 10-27-2004, 03:04 PM
    Michael Fanelli
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    The successor to the Dimage 7i (and 7Hi) digital is the A1 and A2, which both have anti-shake. It's basically the same 7x zoom lens, with longer lasting NiMH batteries, electronic viewfinder (the A2 finder is higher resolution) and 5 or 8 megapixels.

The new Maxxum/Dynax 7D DSLR looks interesting; with that in camera anti-shake you pay for only once, instead of buying IS in every lens.

But I'm not sure how it compares to similar specification Nikon and Canon - would that be the D70 and 20D ? Particularly if you are starting out afresh, with no investment in lenses etc.

Take a look at preview/review on Luminous Landscape. He took the camera out for a spin in the real world. The results? IMHO, OK for a first try.

The built-in IS looks good in theory but you can't see what it is doing until after the shot is taken. The first impression is that the AS technology is nice but not as complete as Canon's IS and Nikon's VR.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...nolta-7d.shtml