Camera News and Rumors

Photography news and announcements for new digital cameras, film cameras, SLR lenses, and photography software.

New Camera and Photography News Section >>

Kodak T-Max 400 Black-and-White Film - Press Release

Kodak Introduces New KODAK PROFESSIONAL T-MAX 400 Black-and-White Film, Now the World’s Sharpest, Finest-Grained 400-Speed Black-and-White Film
    New Film Enables Professional Photographers to Capture the Truth of the Moment; Enhances Superior B&W Film Portfolio

ROCHESTER, N.Y., Oct. 9 – For decades, the world’s greatest photographers have trusted Kodak’s black-and-white films to help them achieve the best of their artistic visions. Today Eastman Kodak Company (NYSE:EK) enhances its black-and-white professional film portfolio with the introduction of an improved KODAK PROFESSIONAL T-MAX 400 Film.

The new film, utilizing Kodak’s patented T-GRAIN emulsions, delivers finer grain and higher sharpness. T-MAX 400 now stands alone as the world’s finest grained and the world’s sharpest 400-speed black-and-white film, offering photographers a level of clarity normally only available from a 100-speed film. T-GRAIN emulsions, first introduced 25 years ago, remain the gold standard in the photographic industry.

“The new T-MAX 400 film provides a grain structure that is superior to anything I’ve seen in a 400-speed film,” said noted photographer and master print maker John Sexton. “That, combined with Kodak’s legendary quality control and consistency, makes this film a most valuable tool.”

In a recent survey conducted by Kodak, professional photographers cited the benefits of black-and-white film. Although professional photographers acknowledge that digital cameras offer certain benefits, they said that film better captures certain images, particularly black-and-white photos. The majority (90 percent) of photographers produce black-and-white images, with 47 percent saying black-and-white photography allows them to create a certain look and feel and differentiate themselves. More than half of them (57 percent) prefer using film to achieve this desired effect.

The new T-MAX 400 complements Kodak’s full range of black-and-white films, which professional photographers use to convey power, subtlety, mystery or reality in their work and achieve a distinctive look. In addition to T-MAX 400, the portfolio includes:
    • T-MAX 100: The world’s finest-grained, 100-speed black-and-white film allows an extremely high level of enlargement and delivers maximum image quality when shooting fine detail
    • TRI-X: The beloved film, an industry favorite for more than 50 years, offers a distinctive grain structure, coupled with a wide exposure latitude to leverage even the most challenging lighting situations.
    • BW400CN: The finest-grained chromogenic film in the world, processed in C-41 chemistry, delivers black-and-white prints on color paper with smooth neutral tones and amazing highlight and shadow detail – even when enlarged.
    • PLUS-X 125: A classic general-purpose film for outdoor or studio photography.
    • T-MAX P3200: The first ultra-high speed B&W film.
    Details of Kodak’s full black-and white film portfolio can be found online at www.kodak.com/go/bwfilms.

“When you look at the images captured over the past 50 years by photographers using our film, you see an honesty that only black-and-white film conveys,” said Mary Jane Hellyar, president, Film Capture Group and senior vice president, Eastman Kodak Company. “Our commitment to the film category, and in particular, black-and-white film, stems from our desire to enable photographers, both now and in the future, to capture this truth.”

This year at PhotoPlus in NYC Oct. 18 – 20, Kodak will highlight a select group of photographers who shoot with black-and-white films and their work in a panel discussion entitled “Black-and-White Photography in the 21st Century.” In addition to John Sexton, photographers Michael Crouser, Liz Gilbert, and Kristen Ashburn will discuss new projects, and the role black-and-white plays in helping them achieve their distinctive looks.
    • Friday, October 19, 2007
    • 3:00 p.m. – 4:45 p.m.
    • PhotoPlus Presentation Theater in the Jacob Javits Convention Center

Related Content:
    Kodak T-Max 400 black-and-white film article >>
    Kodak black-and-white film reviews >>
    All Kodak reviews >>
    All Kodak film and digital camera news >>

About Eastman Kodak Company
    Kodak is the world’s foremost imaging innovator. With sales of $10.7 billion in 2006, the company is committed to a digitally oriented growth strategy focused on helping people better use meaningful images and information in their life and work. Consumers use Kodak’s system of digital and traditional products and services to take, print and share their pictures anytime, anywhere; Businesses effectively communicate with customers worldwide using Kodak solutions for prepress, conventional and digital printing and document imaging; and Creative Professionals rely on Kodak technology to uniquely tell their story through moving or still images.

More information about Kodak (NYSE: EK) is available at www.kodak.com.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Photo-John; 10-12-2007 at 08:57 AM.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Kodak T-Max 400 Black-and-White Film - Press Release

Rock on Kodak, I can't wait to try it.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

I'd be jumping for joy right now.
    Except I have 6 rolls of the old stuff still unused so I can't justify 'restocking'
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

I was never happy with the previous version, but maybe I'll give it another try now. I'm just glad to know Kodak is still working on new B&W film technology.

Paul

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Smile Re: Kodak T-Max 400 Black-and-White Film - Press Release

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    I was never happy with the previous version, but maybe I'll give it another try now. I'm just glad to know Kodak is still working on new B&W film technology.

Paul
    When TMax first came out I was all over it, I liked it. I used to bulk load it when I was in college, I usually carried 20 rolls or more one me at any given time.
    But I find myself loving Tri-X more and more now, in both my Holga and 35mm work.
    So I am especially thankful that Kodak is still making it.
    Thanks Kodak!!
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    Brian
    Film RULES!
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    When TMax first came out I was all over it, I liked it. I used to bulk load it when I was in college, I usually carried 20 rolls or more one me at any given time.
    But I find myself loving Tri-X more and more now, in both my Holga and 35mm work.
    So I am especially thankful that Kodak is still making it.
    Thanks Kodak!!
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    Brian
    Film RULES!
    Lately I've been shooting mostly TriX but also experimenting with some other films. I've still probably shot more TMX 100 than any other B&W film, because that's what I started with. I liked it fairly well, but TMAX 400 always had a muddy look to me, so I only shot a few rolls. I love TriX, but there are times when I want the resolution from a finer grained film, so I've been thinking about getting more Delta 400 for that purpose. Now, I'll have to consider TMAX 400 too. There are so many different choices for film, I don't know how anyone can say it's dead. :thumbsup:

Paul

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I never really liked Ilford films, but I liked their papers, especially when paired with Kodak films.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

I didn't see a release date here, so I dug through the FAQ on the Kodak website. There it says the new Tmax 400 (TMY-2) will be available in December '07...for those who are interested.

Paul

My favorite black and white films are Plus-X and the Ilford equivalent. I never liked T-Max because, like other mentioned, it looked muddy to me. But I've been told that it is a very finnicky film to process and that may be why some of us don't like it. Maybe we never got the processing right or had it done at the wrong labs. Anyway, I think it's cool that a new black-and-white emulsion has been introdude and that Kodak is affirming their commitment to black-and-white.
    Photo-John

T-Max is my favorite B&W film. I develop it with dektol. I never used those dial thermometers and used a mercury based thermometer (way harder to read) to check my temps. Fixer is crucial with this film. I have some old T-Max negs that I recieved recently that have yellow bands. These negatives were subjected to extreme heat, and taken out of their sleeves. When processing T-Max rolls I had thought that I always used fresh chemicals but perhaps I used old fixer on some.

I used plus -x and tri-x as film meant for alternative processing. The large grain in these films is perfect for recticulation, as well as other effects. I bulk loaded them and there is no doubt this led to my willingness to risk ruining some rolls. I ruined plenty of them. You can over or under expose rolls and then develop them with alterred processes and get dramatic results. They can deliver results like ortho film. A drastic black and white graphic image is the result. Plus-X and Tri-X are films you can play with.

T-Max is a film that requires you to learn how to develop and fix it and then (after you have ruined a couple of rolls) you can only get good results from a narrow band of exposure. It is a film that is more aperture sensitive than other films. I thought it was the worst film I had ever encountered. My personality is bullish and confrontational, so I just bought T-Max and went through alot of rolls. I don't know how many I threw out, but I honed in on the shots that worked. I recorded the aperture and shutter speed. This is important with film, as some films require specific conditions to record light optimally. I started using Dektol with T-max and stayed with the same fixer. I don't remember my temps and times as I had that info on notebooks and only recieved a shoebox full of negatives. T-Max delivers an image that is unrivaled.
    Last edited by reverberation; 10-10-2007 at 05:39 PM.
    "I don't like lizards", Frank Reynolds.

"At one time there existed a race of people whose knowledge consisted entirely of gossip", George Carlin.

I have been developing my own rolls of T-Max for the last two months. I have been using TMax developer and Kodak powdered fixer. The T-Max is a couple of years expired but has been stored well. The lab that sells it to me almost gives it to me. Well below half price. I have used T-Max 100 and 400 but find the 100 works best for me. Developing times usally run around six minuites. Out of about ten rolls that I have developed, I have so far only screwed up the first two. I hope to use some Tri-X later on but so far the T-Max has worked out fine. One of the pictures I developed won first place at the fair this year, talk about being proud. Thanks Kodak......
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

A Short Article On B&W and the T-Max

Yesterday I posted a short article on the new Kodak T-Max 400 B&W film and how black-and-white and photography doesn't necessarily lend itself well to digital methods. I think it's an interesting subject as the real value of film may just be starting to shake out.

Black-and-White Film Article >>

Looks like there are some pretty serious and experienced black-and-white film shooters here. Makes me wonder if we should have a dedicated film forum. Have you guys all posted reviews in the film reviews section for the film you use? If not, please do. And make sure to include all that technical info about development times, chemistry, etc. I haven't processed my own B&W for years. But one of the main techniques I had was a very specific, and a little aggressive, agitation action. I felt that it gave the film a little more snap. I also almost always overexposed and underdeveloped to expand the tonal range of my film. Thinking about this almost makes me want to do some black-and-white and get some chemicals on my hands again :-)
    Photo-John

Re: A Short Article On B&W and the T-Max

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    ...Makes me wonder if we should have a dedicated film forum...
    GOOD GAWD YES!!!

...Have you guys all posted reviews in the film reviews section for the film you use? If not, please do...
    Not yet, I've only got about 20 rolls under my belt so far and that's with 5 different films. Soon though, soon :thumbsup:

...And make sure to include all that technical info about development times, chemistry, etc...
    John, if you added a database for film/developer/temp/times I would bow down and kiss your feet...LOL The closest thing out there is "The Massive Development Chart" which isn't the most complete. Not to mention could be a huge draw to the site... wink, wink, nudge, nudge...LOL
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Thread Information