Camera News and Rumors

Photography news and announcements for new digital cameras, film cameras, SLR lenses, and photography software.

New Camera and Photography News Section >>

Nikon F6 35mm SLR - Press Release

Nikon Defines the Pinnacle of 35mm SLR Photography With the Introduction of the F6

Nikon F6 Becomes the Next Legendary F-Series Camera That Offers
    Cutting-Edge Technologies to 35mm Film Photography

MELVILLE, N.Y., Sept. 16 /PRNewswire/ -- Responding to the demands of professionals and enthusiasts around the world, Nikon (http://www.nikonusa.com) today introduced the F6 35mm professional SLR --a flagship film camera that seamlessly blends cutting-edge new technologies and uncompromising craftsmanship to offer film enthusiasts the finest shooting experience an SLR camera can offer.

The F6 benefits from the aggressive advancements in camera technology Nikon has made in response to an explosive demand for high-end digital cameras. It embodies Nikon's latest technological advancements, such as the Multi-CAM200 11-area AF system for exceptionally high-speed autofocus operation with outstanding accuracy, and the i-TTL Creative Lighting System for incomparable flash photography. The F6 features a newly refined proprietary 3D Color Matrix Metering system for improved accuracy in scene recognition and exposure. The camera also operates at highly subdued noise levels to ensure the ultimate shooting experience. For film shooters, the F6 undoubtedly represents the epitome of 35mm SLR photography and cutting edge performance.

"While many professional photographers have rapidly adopted digital photography in their workflow, there are several who enjoy the choice of using 35mm film, depending on the situation or circumstance they are photographing in. Nikon recognizes this, and with the F6 and the newly announced D2X digital SLR camera, we are offering photographers the best cameras in both categories, for a seamless experience in performance, features and usability," said Jerry Grossman, vice president of Marketing, Nikon Inc.

The F6 is the sixth model in a legendary series of F-series professional film SLR cameras from Nikon. First introduced with the Nikon F in 1959, the series has transcended newer challenges over the years with successive new models. The original Nikon F was succeeded by the F2 (1971), F3 (1980), F4(1988) and the critically acclaimed F5 in 1996. Each of these cameras inherited select elements from its predecessors, including the legendary Nikon F mount and a consistent design philosophy to offer professionals tools of the highest caliber and performance. Each successive model also raised the bar for innovation and technological advancement to meet the increasingly diversified needs of professional photographers. Today, tens of thousands of Nikon F-series SLR cameras and Nikkor lenses are put to test daily around the world, helping photographers make great pictures. The new Nikon F6 promises to uphold Nikon's tradition of innovation and enduring value.

F6 offers New Features for Film Fanatics
    The Nikon F6 35mm film SLR camera earns its right to become the next flagship Nikon F-Series professional camera by incorporating remarkable new technologies and design enhancements that give photographers who prefer film the highest level of performance in an SLR camera. In addition to incorporating Nikon's new Multi-CAM2000 11-area AF system and powerful i-TTL Creative Lighting System, the F6 also incorporates several fine refinements in design and construction. It features an improved Nikon 3D Color Matrix Metering system for greater accuracy in scene recognition and exposure, as well as a new shutter unit crafted from DuPont KEVLAR and a special aluminum alloy for unparalleled reliability, lightening-quick movement and precision. Nikon engineers have successfully subdued the camera's operational sounds by using a professional echoic chamber to measure sound and vibration meticulously and then craft the camera with parts that have been highly refined for absolute minimum vibration, and frequency of movement attenuated to a level below that detectable by the human ear. Constructed on an aluminum-alloy die-cast chassis with magnesium-alloy front body and covers (top, bottom) and strategically placed rubber surfaces, the F6 is built like a tank, and has undergone several reliability and rigidity tests to ensure flawless performance. A self-diagnostic shutter incorporated in the camera has undergone testing to assure accurate release up to and beyond 150,000 cycles, even in the most extreme environmental conditions. The F6 undoubtedly goes beyond Nikon's uncompromising standards of quality, durability and rigidity that photographers around the world expect and trust.

The F6 also features a variety of exciting, innovative control options such as a customizable function button, built-in data back functions, shooting data memory and compatibility with a new Multi Power Battery Pack MB-40. This new power pack boosts the camera's framing rate from a native 5.5 frames per second to a full 8 frames per second, allowing Nikon engineers to reduce the size of the F6 significantly from its predecessor, the F5. With the convenience and versatility afforded by 41 Custom Settings, photographers can also fine-tune the F6 to suit their individual shooting preferences and requirements.

The new flagship film SLR also boasts a number of dedicated accessories.These include the Multi Power Battery Pack MB-40, interchangeable focusing screens (seven types), Data Reader MV-1 and camera cases. The Nikon F6 is scheduled to be available at Nikon authorized dealers in October 2004.

Nikon F6 Feature Highlights

High-precision shutter unit
    No shutter unit in any other camera comes close to matching the precision and durability of the F6's assembly. Created from cutting-edge materials - DuPont KEVLAR and a special aluminum alloy - the blades of the shutter unit offer unparalleled reliability and are extremely lightweight, for lightning-quick movement. For enhanced accuracy, the movement of the blades was carefully analyzed during the design process using a high-speed video camera and computer simulations, enabling unprecedented precision even at shutter speeds of up to 1/8,000 second.

DuPont and KEVLAR are trademarks and registered trademarks ofDuPont or its affiliates.

Minimized operational sound and vibration
    Nikon engineers were so intent on subduing the camera's operational sounds that they used a professional audio room to properly gauge the sound quality and frequency. The degree of vibration to which every part of the camera would be subjected was measured. This meticulous approach has resulted in a camera comprised of parts that have been highly refined for absolute minimum vibration, and frequency of movement attenuated to a level below that detectable by the human ear.

Highly efficient mechanics
    The development of the F6 marks the first time 3D computer movement analysis has ever been applied to an SLR. This technique reveals the degree of power distributed to or generated by particular parts in specific directions.This made it possible for Nikon to optimize the mechanical operation of the camera with fewer parts, leading to lower power consumption and higher durability.

Harsh environmental testing
    To ensure the camera could withstand the most severe conditions and environments, the F6 has been subjected to rigorous testing. The F6's astonishing reliability is a function of Nikon's "the right material for the right place" approach. Nikon engineers considered countless situations for camera use, then submitted the F6 to real-life testing to virtually guarantee exceptional dependability wherever and whenever photographers shoot.

For more information please visit, http://www.nikonusa.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Angry Re: Nikon F6 35mm SLR - Press Release

Don't buy this camera. It is a rip-off. By a used or new F-100 and save yourself thousands of dollars. The F-6 actutrally represents the devolultion of the Nikon F camera. No interchangable viewfinders, for example. "Approx 100" view on image scree, whatever that means. It is more like an f-'5 - f-100 hybrid than a "new" camera. And it's three grand to own!

It looks like Nikon is backing away from its committment to the 35 mm camera, and the F-6 is solid proof that it is. Very little innovation compared to its digital couterparts. Why not, for example, place an LCD screen on the back that shows the actual image seen through the viewfinder, to make up for the lack of interchangable viewfinders? What? It can't be done? Not of 3 grand per unit?

Don't get taken by Nikon on this camera. It's not a real F camera. It's a slightly souped up F-100. Buy one (an F-100) and save yourself two grand.

Re: Nikon F6 35mm SLR - Press Release

Thanks for posting your opinion on the new F6. I removed your review since you haven't actually used the camera. However, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and the post here is fine.

Thanks-
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

I won't be as harsh as the previous poster but I kept asking myself "Where's the difference?" This seems to be a very odd camera to release and the price point is set very high for today's market. Perhaps limiting improvements and rehashing mostly older technology is a way to recoup investment costs. Very few will invest that much money in a new film camera but maybe just that few is enough to turn a profit. As I said, very odd.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

My guess is that it's designed for people shooting both film and digital, so that the cameras are very similar. Shoot with a D2h or the D2x when it comes out, and then you'll have to refresh your brain when you pick up your F5 again... It's also a little closer to $2200 or 2300 but still expensive.

I've seen a lot of complaints about the non-interchangeable finders, but how many people own more than one finder for their F5 (or how many complainers have F5's)? I've taken my finder off a couple of times and used the focusing screen to compose (like using a waist-level finder on a Hasselblad) but don't have any other finders and really don't need them.

I don't plan on buying an F6, but I'm glad they haven't given up on film either.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    My guess is that it's designed for people shooting both film and digital, so that the cameras are very similar. Shoot with a D2h or the D2x when it comes out, and then you'll have to refresh your brain when you pick up your F5 again... It's also a little closer to $2200 or 2300 but still expensive.

I've seen a lot of complaints about the non-interchangeable finders, but how many people own more than one finder for their F5 (or how many complainers have F5's)? I've taken my finder off a couple of times and used the focusing screen to compose (like using a waist-level finder on a Hasselblad) but don't have any other finders and really don't need them.

I don't plan on buying an F6, but I'm glad they haven't given up on film either.
    I am dispointed in Nikon for offering this camera without the interchangeable view finders, especially at that price. When I had my F5, it was the most incredible film camera that I have ever held. Simply amazing, and with a top view finder I could use it like my RZ67, etc.

I can buy an used F5 for $1600 and that's a great value, but I now shoot with my EOS 3, and Canon 1Dmk2.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

I took delivery of my F6 about 3 weeks ago. I love the shape and heft of it - the ergonomics are great! It's main advantage over my F5 though, is size and weight. It is also much quieter in operation - a big plus for nature photography. It won't take better pictures than an F5 but it is much more pleasing to carry around and handle. I love it!

Ed Fougerousse

Welcome to the board!

Since I haven't heard much about this camera from people who own it, I'm curious if you have experience with the F100 and F5; and what you think of the F6 in contrast to those two. Haven't had a chance to check out an F6 myself yet.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Welcome to the board!

Since I haven't heard much about this camera from people who own it, I'm curious if you have experience with the F100 and F5; and what you think of the F6 in contrast to those two. Haven't had a chance to check out an F6 myself yet.

1. It's quiet in operation
    2. Tank-like build in a body just a bit bigger than F100
    3. More sophicated electronics including the great databack
    4 My subjective experiece of the handling and ergonomics - it's perfect!
    5. Great metering system

I didn't get the add-on motor drive due to size considerations

Ed

Thread Information