Camera News and Rumors

Photography news and announcements for new digital cameras, film cameras, SLR lenses, and photography software.

New Camera and Photography News Section >>

Epson Digital Rangefinder: Press Release

Epson Launches the World's First Rangefinder Digital Camera

- TOKYO, Japan, March 11 –

Seiko Epson Corporation ("Epson") has launched the Epson Rangefinder Digital Camera R-D1, the world's first rangefinder digital camera, in partnership with Cosina Corporation.

Technical collaboration
    Epson has helped transform the world of photo printing into the digital world by developing inkjet printers and other digital photo printing technologies. Among the critical technologies behind the stunning quality of Epson's digitally rendered photos is digital image processing—technology for optimizing digital data as a high-quality photo image. Digital image processing technology is already being used in Epson's printer drivers, high-resolution scanners and other input and output devices, but Epson had been looking for new potentially intriguing applications for it, as well. It was while scouting the possibilities that Epson met up with Cosina, a company that can boast some of the world's foremost original optical technologies.

Cosina has developed outstanding original optics technologies in the production of camera lenses while still maintaining a rigorous fidelity to the historic photography heritage. Epson felt that if the companies were to use the rangefinder camera platform—a platform that is being left in the wake of progress toward the digital age—and if they were to merge Epson's digital image processing technology with Cosina's advanced optics technology, they might be able to discover some completely new creative photographic possibilities. This idea led to collaboration between the two companies, with engineers from both sides paying uncompromising attention to detail during product development. Thus was born the R-D1.

The R-D1 dares to swim against the high tide of fully automatic electronic digital cameras. It is a digital camera that still manages to feel like a traditional manual camera, for people who appreciate the peculiar satisfaction that comes with the ability to use an analog camera well. In other words, the R-D1 is simultaneously a state-of-the-art digital camera that offers outstanding performance and image quality, and a throwback that offers camera buffs the look and feel of a vintage film camera, as well as the joy of skillfully using their camera as a tool.

Digital camera firsts
    Among many digital camera firsts, the R-D1 is the world's first rangefinder digital camera. A rangefinder is a type of camera that has a built-in device for measuring distance based on the principles of triangulation. The photographer focuses the camera by superimposing two slightly different views of a scene with the rangefinder. In general, compared to an auto-focus system, performance does not change even if lenses are swapped, and focus can be achieved quickly, accurately and with a light level that is nearly the same as the unaided eye, even in dimly lit locations. In addition, since the field of view is not blocked by the action of a shutter as it is with a single-lens reflex camera, the photographer will not miss the decisive moment.

The R-D1 is also the world's first digital camera to accept Leica L- and M-mounts*2. As such, it offers a new platform that links the future with the past. A huge number of lens types — more than 200 — have been created and sold over the long history of photography. This camera gives twenty-first century photographers a way to use these famed lenses from our photographic heritage. The new camera gives photographers the chance to develop a new cult of photography by allowing them to resurrect their familiar old lenses in a digital world.

The R-D1 also uses the world's first 1x viewfinder, enabling photographers to view scenes – including panoramas - through the camera as if they were looking at scenes using their naked eyes. The camera also has the advantage of improved focus precision compared to low magnification optical finders.

Epson = Photo
    With "Epson = Photo" as its watchword, Epson is committed to bringing color to life and to the way people communicate, by aspiring to create new possibilities that expand the horizons of the digital photo market and by suggesting new ways to enjoy digital photography using advanced digital image processing technology.

The R-D1 will be exhibited at the 2004 Photo Expo, which will be held from March 19-21 at the Tokyo Big Sight.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Well...

How useful a Leica-lens rangefinder is in terms of marketing? Will leica owners flock to a Cosina-made camera after all these years of Leica use? In marketing, the Leica name and myth, valid or not, is the selling point for Leica owners.

Yeah, I remember rangefinders! I'll take AF every time. So many people can't even figure out AF, how many will put the energy into learning and using a rangefinder system? Again, this comes down to only Leica owners as the market (OK, almost the entire market) and Cosina as the problem sell.

I love the nostalgic quality of this release, I question how practical it is in today's world.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Epson R-D1 Digital Rangefinder Photos

Here are a few photos of the R-D1 digital rangefinder that I received from Epson today.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

It's really a coincident that I found this forum.

I just happen to play around with the sample unit of R-D1 in office the other day.
    I owned the Voigtlander Bessa R2 for about a year and a half now and when Epson announce that developement of the digital model, I was really surprise.

My first impression on the sample model that it looks just like my R2, except its cool metering dial on the top .

By the way, I work as a Service Engineer with Epson Singapore. Evaluating a pre-launch product is just part of my job. Usually sample units were sent to me and I have to evaluate whether would it be suitable for regional market.

Thread Information