EOS 3000D Information

Printable View

• 08-11-2005, 03:46 PM
    Marvin
    EOS 3000D Information
    I have come into some information about a potential EOS 3000D SLR. I have a PDF and two JPG images, here is some of the highlights (lowlights?):
    -6MP (appears to be same as 300D/10D)
    -2fps (4 frame buffer)
    -No RAW
    -Plastic Lens mount
    -Limited functionality

Any assistance getting the images and PDF (approx 1.5MB) some where more accessable would be greatly appreciated (by all I think!).
  • 08-11-2005, 04:34 PM
    Marvin
    Re: EOS 3000D Information
    OK, found a place to upload the images, here they are:
    http://show.imagehosting.us/show/544..._-1_544628.jpg
    http://show.imagehosting.us/show/544..._-1_544631.jpg

These guys have downsampled them though, here are the links:
    http://www.imagehosting.us/index.php...w&ident=544628
    http://www.imagehosting.us/index.php...w&ident=544631

Still need a home for the PDF!!!
  • 08-11-2005, 04:37 PM
    Photo-John
    Thanks
    Thanks for posting this, Marvin. The rumors are starting to flow. I think we'd best wait for an official annoucement from Canon. I don't want to post PDFs when I don't know where they came from. Your post is fine, as is the Canon EOS 5D post. But I don't think we should post anything that looks official until we get it through the official channels.

I hadn't heard anything about another 6-megapixel SLR. I guess this would be the new entry-level digital SLR, if it turns out to be true. Personally, I'm more interested in the 5D rumor. I'd love to have a full-frame sensor digital SLR. I've been waiting for the next generation to replace my EOS 10D. And a 13-megapixel full-frame SLR would be jsut the ticket. And I'll take a Rebel XT on the side, too :D
  • 08-11-2005, 04:41 PM
    Marvin
    Re: Thanks
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Thanks for posting this, Marvin. The rumors are starting to flow. I think we'd best wait for an official annoucement from Canon. I don't want to post PDFs when I don't know where they came from. Your post is fine, as is the Canon EOS 5D post. But I don't think we should post anything that looks official until we get it through the official channels.

I hadn't heard anything about another 6-megapixel SLR. I guess this would be the new entry-level digital SLR, if it turns out to be true. Personally, I'm more interested in the 5D rumor. I'd love to have a full-frame sensor digital SLR. I've been waiting for the next generation to replace my EOS 10D. And a 13-megapixel full-frame SLR would be jsut the ticket. And I'll take a Rebel XT on the side, too :D

No worries, my source is not particulary trustworthy, although the goods look real enough.
  • 08-11-2005, 04:53 PM
    Photo-John
    Interesting
    That's a design departure for Canon. And more beleivable than the EOS 5D images floating around. Those look suspiciously like edited photos of a 20D. This is too different from anything out there to be a total photo hack.

Thanks for uploading the photos. Sorry I didn't help you with that. If I'd known you just wanted to post photos I would have been happy to help.
  • 08-11-2005, 05:35 PM
    mjs1973
    1 Attachment(s)
    The front view of this camera looks identicle to the Rebel T2. The back is very similar also. Here is a shot of the T2 from Canons site. I couldn't find a back view to post.
  • 08-11-2005, 05:39 PM
    Photo-John
    Whoops!
    I still pay attention to film cameras. I swear I do! :rolleyes:

Thanks for pointing that out.
  • 08-11-2005, 05:44 PM
    mjs1973
    Re: Whoops!
    I wouldn't have noticed it, had I not just been thinking about getting a T2. :)
  • 08-19-2005, 12:18 PM
    SmartWombat
    I thought the 3000D was a mock-up, becuase I didn't expect Canon to put a window in what appears to me to be a stupid place.
    But there it is on the T2.

So what is that red window in the grip that will be covered by my fingers?
    Looks like an IR sensor, or perhaps AF illuminator, or both.
  • 08-22-2005, 01:20 PM
    chump1039
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    So what is that red window in the grip that will be covered by my fingers?
    Looks like an IR sensor, or perhaps AF illuminator, or both.

The same IR sensor was on my 300D. It's for the IR remote. It allows you to release the shutter wirelessly with a 3 or 10 second timer (at least on my model). You can also use it in bulb mode to open and close the shutter for any length of time.
  • 08-22-2005, 02:05 PM
    SmartWombat
    Ah, then it doesn't matter if it's coveres while you're shooting - you only need it when you're not holding the camera.
  • 08-22-2005, 10:24 PM
    masdog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin
    I have come into some information about a potential EOS 3000D SLR. I have a PDF and two JPG images, here is some of the highlights (lowlights?):
    -6MP (appears to be same as 300D/10D)
    -2fps (4 frame buffer)
    -No RAW
    -Plastic Lens mount
    -Limited functionality

Any assistance getting the images and PDF (approx 1.5MB) some where more accessable would be greatly appreciated (by all I think!).

If they can get this on the market for under $600, it would make a good entry level DSLR. I look forward to seeing one of these hit the market.
  • 08-23-2005, 05:24 AM
    nomadicalloy
    still no sign of nikon. I am curious to know what canon wants to replace this camera with?
  • 08-23-2005, 10:14 AM
    Photo-John
    Doubts
    After yesterday's announcements I'm thinking this one is a hoax. It's possible that it might make an appearance in the fall, at the PhotoPlus Expo. But if that was the case, I think it would have been announced yesterday, along with the EOS 5D and the EOS 1D Mark II N.
  • 08-23-2005, 11:02 AM
    masdog
    Re: Doubts
    If it is meant for Christmas, it might not be announced until October when stores and people are gearing up for the shopping season. I would think that it would be announced now as well, but with some companies, you never know.

I'm surprised they haven't created a replacedment for the 300D yet. That camera is over two years old, and with the release of the Rebel XT, it doesn't have much of a place in Canon's product line. What does everyone else think?
  • 08-23-2005, 11:43 AM
    chump1039
    Re: Doubts
    Quote:

Originally Posted by masdog
    If it is meant for Christmas, it might not be announced until October when stores and people are gearing up for the shopping season. I would think that it would be announced now as well, but with some companies, you never know.

I'm surprised they haven't created a replacedment for the 300D yet. That camera is over two years old, and with the release of the Rebel XT, it doesn't have much of a place in Canon's product line. What does everyone else think?

I always thought of the 350D (XT) as the replacement for the 300. The 300D is still in production?

I'm guessing if anything this 3000D is to match up with the d50 from nikon. in the $500-600 range?

The 350D matches up with the D70, and the 20D matches up to the D100. Speaking of, the d100 seems quite ready for an update. I think I'd read that the d200 will be announced soon.
  • 08-23-2005, 01:18 PM
    Franglais
    My reading
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chump1039
    I always thought of the 350D (XT) as the replacement for the 300. The 300D is still in production?

I'm guessing if anything this 3000D is to match up with the d50 from nikon. in the $500-600 range?

The 350D matches up with the D70, and the 20D matches up to the D100. Speaking of, the d100 seems quite ready for an update. I think I'd read that the d200 will be announced soon.

The 300D has been out of production for ages. The 350D was intended to be a D70 killer but Nikon undercut the 350D with the D50. Pentax and Minolta have also produced similar models. High volumes and profits are in these low-end models as they approach 500$ and Canon cannot stay out of this so the 3000D is credible.

I'm not sure that the D200 will be a 20D equivalent. Nikon may leave the D70s in this space. If Nikon give the D200 10Mpix, a decent viewfinder, a nice body and price it at $2400 then it would undercut the 5D and maybe even the 1D Mark IIN.

Charles