Camera News and Rumors

Photography news and announcements for new digital cameras, film cameras, SLR lenses, and photography software.

New Camera and Photography News Section >>

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Kodak Ends B&W Paper Production

Kodak is ending production of B&W photo paper.

"As the industry shifts rapidly from chemical-based to digital imaging, demand for black-and-white paper is declining about 25 per cent annually, Kodak spokesman David Lanzillo said."

The times they are a changin'.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/1...4,00050001.htm
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Re: Kodak Ends B&W Paper Production

Odd.. I would have thought B&W paper would have only declined slightly as compared to color paper.

And I just bought a house that has a perfect place for a darkroom and I plan on doing nothing but black & white.

Oh well, Koday was never my choice for print paper anyways.

Fred
    http://www.acclaimimages.com/search_...d_voetsch.html

It's not that big of a suprise. I get my digital BW files printed on color paper at a pro lab using a dursk lamda. The results are stunning. Unlike the normal labs, the lab I use insures there are no color casts.

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

I used to sue lambdas. As in - I worked in aprint shop and actually did the prints. The prints ARE gorgeous, but I still prefer Iris prints, personally, for digital prints. I think they are called by the more exotic "giclee" name these days.

However, my personal work is all on Kodak polyfiber, and I gets prints fairly often. I can't put into words how much of a tragedy this is for me. No matter how great digital prints are, in my opinion, there is nothing like a gorgeous semi-glossy black and white print on polyfiber - they are breathtaking, make me weak in the knees, and I'm definitely sad. However, Ilford's polyfiber is just as beautiful - hopefully they won't follow in Kodak's footsteps.

megan

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

The things you find out at the lab...

When I worked at my lab, all of the black and white prints were on Kodak paper. I haven't printed my own work in so long that I didn't even know Polyfiber no longer exists anyway... all my work in on Ilford. I'm praying for them now.....

Re: The things you find out at the lab...

I've never done my own printing! That's probably why I like the results of the dursk. Then I can do the dodging and burning in PS.

In one of my issues of B&W I remember reading that quite a few fine art photographers were going this PS approach because of the control. Except they scan their film.

Isn't a giclee an expanded gamut iris printer? At least that's my understanding. I've seen beautiful giclees.

Mike

Re: The things you find out at the lab...

Quote Originally Posted by megan
    When I worked at my lab, all of the black and white prints were on Kodak paper. I haven't printed my own work in so long that I didn't even know Polyfiber no longer exists anyway... all my work in on Ilford. I'm praying for them now.....
    Actually, Ilford is coming out of recievership, so things are looking up. Plus, remember, Ilford is nothing but black and white, so giving up on black and white paper is foolhardy to say the least, for them. Look up the latest at the website. I remember seeing that the film division is now officially separated from the digital imaging part of the corporation, so I think Ilford black and white is safe for the moment. Plus I love their film, so keep on hoping they stay afloat...

Drew
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Thread Information