Camera News and Rumors

Photography news and announcements for new digital cameras, film cameras, SLR lenses, and photography software.

New Camera and Photography News Section >>

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

DP Review Bought Out by Amazon

AMAZON.COM ACQUIRES DPREVIEW.COM --
    THE LEADING ONLINE DESTINATION FOR REVIEWS
    AND INFORMATION ABOUT DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY

(BUSINESS WIRE) SEATTLE, WA—May 14, 2007—Leading online retailer Amazon.com (NASDAQ: AMZN) today announced it has acquired www.dpreview.com, the web’s most comprehensive site for digital camera information and reviews. Founded in 1998 by Phil Askey, dpreview.com provides unbiased reviews and original content regarding the latest in digital cameras, and offers a host of features and forums designed to make it easy for consumers to find the camera that’s right for them. With its unique voice and in-depth technical reviews, dpreview.com draws millions of unique visitors each month.

“Dpreview.com is by far the most authoritative source anywhere for straight talk about new digital cameras,” said Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO of Amazon.com. “We at Amazon.com have been their fans for a long time, and we extend a big welcome to the dpreview.com team.”

“One of the difficulties of operating dpreview.com independently has been the balance between producing content and delivering new site features,” said Phil Askey, founder of dpreview.com. “Now, with the support of Amazon, I’ll be able to devote more of my time to expanding and improving our features – such as product reviews and discussion forums while still delivering the high-quality content that our readers have come to expect.”

Dpreview.com offers in-depth reviews of the latest digital cameras and accessories, active discussion forums, digital photography and imaging news, sample images, a dynamic digital camera buyers’ guide, side-by-side comparisons of the most popular models, and the web’s most comprehensive database of digital camera features and specifications.

Dpreview.com will continue to function as a stand-alone operation based in London.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Liz

Re: DP Review Bought Out by Amazon

That's interesting......how does a photography site like that "merge" (sort of) with a for-profit sales organization? I don't quite understand how that works. IOW, there are pros and cons on personal reviews of camera equipment. So how does that work when one of your products (say Canon cameras sold on Amazon) gets a lot of bad reviews?

Just curious.....as to how this would work.

Liz

There goes the neighborhood Who's next?

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

unbiased reviews
    My squeeky clean butt...
    Last edited by almo; 05-15-2007 at 10:40 PM.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    My squeeky clean butt...
    Well, I don't know anything about your butt... The goal and true perception that Phil has is that he will remain independent and in charge. The reality of the situation is that Amazon would not have purchased the site and then choose to just walk away.

My guess, and only a guess, is that the names of members will be sold, the ads will push what Amazon wants to sell, and bad reviews on cameras selling well for Amazon will be discouraged. I really hope I am very wrong but reality often takes the ugliest path.

But hey, Phil is so wealthy now he can just walk away and spend the rest of his life having fun!
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Thread Information