2005 Leica Camera /Jim Marshall Photo Contest

Northvale, N.J. – February 20, 2005- Jim Marshall, the legendary Leica photographer who’s been covering the rock scene for over 40 years, turning out iconic images of such greats as the Beatles, Bob Dylan, and Janis Joplin, wants to give aspiring photographers a chance to succeed. To achieve this, Marshall has teamed up with Leica Camera, Inc. to create the Leica Camera / Jim Marshall Scholarship Photo Contest, open to high school and college students pursuing a major or minor in photography.

Marshall believes in helping young photographers by giving them a chance to acquire something he says he could never do without-- a Leica M-series camera and lens. “The rangefinder Leica is the only camera that ever felt right in my hands. I never leave home without it. It’s part of me. I think that when your subjects see that you’re comfortable with your tools, they become more comfortable with you,” said Jim Marshall.

The winner of the Leica Camera / Jim Marshall Scholarship Photo Contest 2005 will receive a cash prize of $2,500, plus a brand new Leica M7 complete with Leica 35mm f/2 ASPH lens valued at over $5500. More details can be found on www.leicacamerausa.com.

About Leica Cameras Inc.
Leica creates cameras and optical photographic accessories that empower the artist in every photographer. The company creates instruments that provide photographers with the tools they need, as well as inspire their artistic spirit within. Leica is dedicated to developing the finest in cameras and optical photographic instruments. For the entire history of the company, a tradition of precision manufacturing and technological innovations has steadily positioned the brand at the forefront of the photographic industry and has enabled it to establish an unsurpassed standard of excellence. Leica Camera USA, headquartered in Northvale, N.J., distributes a complete line of Rangefinder & SLR cameras and lenses, compact and digital cameras and sport optic products. For more information, please visit the web site at www.leicacamerausa.com.

About Jim Marshall
Jim Marshall has worked in the music genre for most of his career, providing editorial coverage for magazines, and shooting everything from publicity and documentary photographs to album and CD covers. He was one of the chief photographers at both Woodstock ’69 and the Monterey Pop Festival. He was also the only photographer granted backstage access at the Beatles’ last concert, and was also the only person ever to succeed in squeezing Janis Joplin and Grace Slick into a single memorable frame.