2005 CES Tradeshow

Printable View

• 01-06-2005, 03:55 PM
    Photo-John
    2005 CES Tradeshow
    The CES (Consumer Electronics Association) tradeshow takes place every year in Las Vegas. This year it's being held from January 6 to 9. Check the News and Rumors index for photography and digital camera press releases from CES. I'll post whatever is sent to me, whatever I can dig up on the Web, and I'll try to track down information on anything you want. Just let me know.

Directly below is a press release about CES, as it relates to photography, from a few months ago. Keep in mind that the CES tradeshow isn't just about photography. It covers all electronics categories. That includes audio, home theater, car audio, computers, mobile electronics like phones and PDAs, etc. If it's got electronics in it, it's probably at CES. I went in 2001 and it was nuts. All of Las Vegas is sold out. The show is monstrous!

2005 International CES Puts Consumer And Prosumer Digital Imaging In Focus

More Than 30,000 Trade Buyers Expected to Assess New Digital Imaging Products

More than 30,000 digital imaging retailers, distributors and buyers are expected to gather-all under one roof- to test and buy the newest digital imaging technologies at the 2005 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES). The 2005 International CES runs January 6-9 in Las Vegas, Nev.
    "The International CES is the place to see the newest digital imaging hardware, software and accessories. Plus, attendees will find all the computer hardware and software, peripherals and office applications that incorporate imaging-from image-enabled cell phones and PDAs to set-top boxes and a wide variety of home networking applications," said Karen Chupka, vice president, events and conferences for the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA), the producer of the International CES.

Some of the major digital imaging exhibitors at CES include Canon, Fuji, Hewlett-Packard, Kodak, Olympus, Panasonic and Sony. The CES TechZone, Flash Forward 2.0: Bringing Digital Imaging into Focus, is a digital imaging retail model, featuring the latest technology advances. Located in the CES Central Plaza, Flash Forward is sponsored by CEA and InfoTrends Research Group.

Three other TechZones also address the storage issues surrounding digital imaging with the MultiMedia Card Association TechZone and the Digital Content Storage TechZone, both in the CES Central Plaza, and the SD Card TechZone in the Central Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center (LVCC).

Addressing the movement of digital content into the prosumer market, attendees can check out the Studio@Home and HD Pro showcases in the CES South Plaza. Produced in cooperation with CMPinformation, Studio@Home will include home recording and editing products, electronic music software, DJ, keyboards and virtual musical instruments as well as desktop video editing and production tools. Incorporating a working home studio, Studio@Home will feature musical artists and major engineers/producers demonstrating advanced audio/video production tools.

The new CES HD Pro Showcase demonstrates the growing amount of programming, production and delivery systems that are already in place to support today's expanding consumer market for high definition television. Also co-sponsored by CMPinformation, HD Pro Showcase will present attendees with demonstrations of high-definition cameras, storage, graphics and editing systems as well as new affordable portable HDV camcorders and desktop solutions.

With several industry tracks and sessions dedicated to the digital imaging market, CES attendees can quickly find out where the market is headed and where new profit opportunities exist. In the Digital Cameras Get Competition SuperSession on opening day, a top industry panel will discuss how camera-equipped cell phones and disposables are affecting the market, as well as which features digital cameras are adding to stay ahead of the competition.

Produced by Future Media Concepts with more than 50 individual sessions, the Digital Media Training program covers digital photography, digital video, Apple's iLife, multimedia, macromedia, videography and Web start-up through in-depth demonstrations and workshops.

CEA's Home and Lifestyle Entertainment track will explore the latest advances in everything from optical recording to portable video. Digital Hollywood covers digital content and entertainment. The 2005 Storage Visions Conference addresses data storage requirements for content creation, content distribution and consumer electronics.

In the Mobile Entertainment program, attendees will learn how the music, film, TV, news and information industries have transitioned to the digital lifestyle, and how manufacturers and wireless providers have enabled the broadband experience to go mobile.

Photojournalists at CES can enter the "FOCUS on CES Photo Contest," sponsored by CEA's Digital Imaging Special Interest Group, by submitting their best photos from the 2005 International CES. Entries must be submitted at the contest kiosk in the Flash Forward TechZone by 6p.m. on January 8. Winners will be announced the final day of the show and will receive a digital imaging prize.

For more news on CES before, during and after the show, visit www.CESweb.org, the interactive source for CES information.

Note to Journalists: Detailed press conference information is now available at www.CESweb.org. Journalists are encouraged to arrive in Las Vegas by Tuesday, January 4, 2005 to take advantage of all the CES press conferences and events. A list of press room hours and services also is posted at www.CESweb.org.

About CEA:
    The Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) is the preeminent trade association promoting growth in the consumer technology industry through technology policy, events, research, promotion and the fostering of business and strategic relationships. CEA represents more than 1,700 corporate members involved in the design, development, manufacturing, distribution and integration of audio, video, mobile electronics, wireless and landline communications, information technology, home networking, multimedia and accessory products, as well as related services that are sold through consumer channels. Combined, CEA's members account for more than $100 billion in annual sales. CEA's resources are available online at www.CE.org, the definitive source for information about the consumer electronics industry.
    CEA also sponsors and manages the International CES - Defining Tomorrow's Technology. All profits from CES are reinvested into industry services, including technical training and education, industry promotion, engineering standards development, market research and legislative advocacy.

For more information, please visit the CES Web site: http://cesweb.org/
  • 01-06-2005, 04:51 PM
    Liz
    Re: 2005 CES Tradeshow
    I saw some of the items on CNN news tonight. One camera that the CNN reporter "focused" on is a Kodak camera. Not being a photographer, he was a little vague and of course, didn't quite know what the newest features are. However, he had the actual camera (preview) - and the LCD screen was almost as big as the whole back of the camera. NICE :cool:

One thing he said was that this "camera" can "hold" 1500 images but then he was holding a memory card in his hand which he put into the top of the camera, so I was a little confused. It's a P&S that he said will be very expensive (quoted $600). It's all relative ;) It looked about the size of the G series Canons. Long zoom though. He said it is 4MP.

He also mentioned that you could email pictures right from the camera. But he also said you didn't need to "hook anything up" to download images to the pc right from the camera. So I think he was all excited about some features that he didn't realize already exists in other cameras.

There was also an incredible large flat screen picture phone that looked really cool. It looked like it was about a 19" screen. You can use the phone with/without the screen.

Questions:

***Is it possible the Kodak camera "itself" would "hold" 1,500 images without a card? I was really impressed with the LCD screen. I'd love to see what the other new features are.

***Is there anyplace to log into that we could get more info?

I'd love to see more. Thanks

Liz
  • 01-06-2005, 05:09 PM
    Photo-John
    Kodak Easyshare-One
    Liz-
    If you look at the News and Rumors forum you'll notice that there are a whole bunch of recent press releases. I'll be adding more over the next few days, I'm sure. One of those press releases is for the camera you saw on TV - the Kodak Easyshare-One. Here's a link to that press release: http://forums.photographyreview.com/...ead.php?t=8008

The big deal with that camera is that it has built-in WiFi capability. That seems to be a theme at the CES show, this year. Kodak also has a WiFi-enabled printer dock, and Canon announced a WiFi-enabled portable printer.

CES is one of the biggest tradeshows in the world, if not the biggest. The local and national news shows go nuts over it. It's always interesting to see the mainstream media covering cameras and other electronics they don't understand well. They buy into all the hype and basically spit out whatever the marketing and PR people tell them. It can be kinda funny.
  • 01-06-2005, 05:34 PM
    Liz
    Re: Kodak Easyshare-One
    Thanks John - there it was - right below! Guess I should pay better attention.

It is said that honesty is the best policy. I like to keep things simple. This camera has of LOT of bells and whistles. I'm more intrigued with that 3" high resolution screen. About the rest, I don't share many photos - it's not why I do photography. I'll stick to my Canon Rebel! But I enjoyed reading about it - it was interesting.

I guess I'm getting old, John, things are just moving too fast - and too far beyond me. :rolleyes:

Liz