Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.

Thumbs down Find a Reliable Local Camera Shop - Do Not Trust B&H

First and Last. I will never buy from B&H again. I carefully researched for a year+ and decided to purchase a Canon Rebel XT kit with EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens. This camera configuration was not easy to find in stock.

I chose B&H based on strong ratings indicated by multiple well-known, well-used review and digital photography sites. I paid for 2-day shipping to ensure tracking and minimize exposure to hot AZ temps.

It is very true that just as with people, you do not discover the character or quality of a company until they have to deal with a problem. The positive reviews for B&H appear to relate experiences where nothing goes wrong.

Well, I am told it is very rare, but unfortunately my Canon camera was defective right out of the box. Following instructions to a tee, I unpacked and assembled my camera, noticing that the interior packaging material was torn. Could this have been used and returned by another customer? Suspicious. My first six shots at home resulted in all black images. Ugh. I assumed operator error and called B&H. After a very long time on hold, and longer being transferred to several people, I was told multiple times to call Canon and make arrangements to send the camera in for repair. I was aghast!

"I just spent $1300 on a camera that doesn't work and you want me to have it repaired?" I wanted to return it, as it was just a few days outside the advertised 14-day return period for "photo equipment" but I was told that I had only 7-days to return "digital equipment." Very tricky. I turned over my receipt and found this printed in very light gray type. Again very tricky.

When I protested that this was "a lot" of money for me to spend and that I would expect ANY vendor would take back bad merchandise, I was advised that it would do me no good to discuss or escalate the issue further within B&H. I was told that they make no exceptions and my only recourse was with Canon.

Well, that was an equally nightmarish customer experience. It was by far the worst technical support call I have ever had. (Another story.) I had just about concluded that I was now the owner of a $1300 paperweight, when the owner of my local camera shop, Joe at Tempe Camera, stepped up to be the hero.

18 total shots were attempted and in two minutes he was able to quickly eliminate the CF card, the battery, the lens as possible causes of the problem. The camera simply does not capture images. He then offered to ship my camera back to Canon (obsessively packed in pristine, as-purchased condition down to the little plastic bags the cables and battery come in). He plead my case in a letter and requested a REPLACEMENT, not a repair.

So, I am still waiting to find out what sort of company Canon is, but I will never again purchase anything from B&H. My advise to you is to find a reliable local camera shop who will open the box and make sure everything works before letting you walk out the door. He told me then that he would have matched B&H's price, but at the time he did not have that particular kit in stock.

I went with B&H in order to get that $100 rebate, rather than wait. Well, not only did I not get the rebate because the deadline passed while hassling with this problem (I could not have attempted to return it to anyone with the UPC cut off the box), but also, B&H and the local shop offer this camera kit now at MORE than $100 less.

The whole thing is just wrong.

Except Joe with Tempe Camera, who is the only one so far to show genuine character.

Thanks, Joe! I won't be shopping anywhere else.
    Last edited by siberianpeachpie; 08-19-2006 at 09:15 AM.

Re: Find a Reliable Local Camera Shop - Do Not Trust B&H

When did this happen? Sorry to hear of your terrible shopping experience.

I just realized that I purchase all my camera bodies locally in case I need to yell at someone if there is a problem. I've purchased accessories and even gray market stuff from B&H with no problem.

Next time try Canoga Camera....they have good prices and the people at the store are cool so far in my experience. I like the attitude at Calumet but the prices aren't as competitive.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Thanks for sharing your story and sorry to hear about your nightmarish experiance. I wish I had a local camera shop that I could go to. The closest real camera shop is an hour drive for me and they are much more expensive than any of the reputable online dealers. I would much rather support a local shop, but there isn't any in my area that can offer me the selection, service and prices that B&H and Adorama can.

I order almost exclusivley from B&H and have never had a problem with them. Even when returning a defective product. (It wasn't digital, and I called them the same day I recieved the defective item.) They took it back and sent a replacement, no questions asked. I'm in the market for some more camera gear, and I will order it from B&H.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Liz

Wow. That's incredible. Please let me suggest something from my own experience. I've had relatively few equipment problems throughout the 7 years I've been dealing with B&H. I've only had one negative experience with a specific employee in customer service and thought I couldn't resolve the problem. I was quite upset and thought the problem couldn't be resolved.

However, I called back customer service and asked to speak to a supervisor. After I explained the problem, the supervisor immediately apologized. It was resolved immediately. As a matter of fact I got a full refund including shipping.

I wouldn't let this go. They have a return policy and I've never known them not to honor it. Sometimes you just get the wrong person. However, these instances are far and few between.

I would try calling them, even at this stage of the game.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by siberianpeachpie
    First and Last. I will never buy from B&H again. I carefully researched for a year+ and decided to purchase a Canon Rebel XT kit with EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens. This camera configuration was not easy to find in stock.

I chose B&H based on strong ratings indicated by multiple well-known, well-used review and digital photography sites. I paid for 2-day shipping to ensure tracking and minimize exposure to hot AZ temps.

It is very true that just as with people, you do not discover the character or quality of a company until they have to deal with a problem. The positive reviews for B&H appear to relate experiences where nothing goes wrong.

Well, I am told it is very rare, but unfortunately my Canon camera was defective right out of the box. Following instructions to a tee, I unpacked and assembled my camera, noticing that the interior packaging material was torn. Could this have been used and returned by another customer? Suspicious. My first six shots at home resulted in all black images. Ugh. I assumed operator error and called B&H. After a very long time on hold, and longer being transferred to several people, I was told multiple times to call Canon and make arrangements to send the camera in for repair. I was aghast!

"I just spent $1300 on a camera that doesn't work and you want me to have it repaired?" I wanted to return it, as it was just a few days outside the advertised 14-day return period for "photo equipment" but I was told that I had only 7-days to return "digital equipment." Very tricky. I turned over my receipt and found this printed in very light gray type. Again very tricky.

When I protested that this was "a lot" of money for me to spend and that I would expect ANY vendor would take back bad merchandise, I was advised that it would do me no good to discuss or escalate the issue further within B&H. I was told that they make no exceptions and my only recourse was with Canon.

Well, that was an equally nightmarish customer experience. It was by far the worst technical support call I have ever had. (Another story.) I had just about concluded that I was now the owner of a $1300 paperweight, when the owner of my local camera shop, Joe at Tempe Camera, stepped up to be the hero.

18 total shots were attempted and in two minutes he was able to quickly eliminate the CF card, the battery, the lens as possible causes of the problem. The camera simply does not capture images. He then offered to ship my camera back to Canon (obsessively packed in pristine, as-purchased condition down to the little plastic bags the cables and battery come in). He plead my case in a letter and requested a REPLACEMENT, not a repair.

So, I am still waiting to find out what sort of company Canon is, but I will never again purchase anything from B&H. My advise to you is to find a reliable local camera shop who will open the box and make sure everything works before letting you walk out the door. He told me then that he would have matched B&H's price, but at the time he did not have that particular kit in stock.

I went with B&H in order to get that $100 rebate, rather than wait. Well, not only did I not get the rebate because the deadline passed while hassling with this problem (I could not have attempted to return it to anyone with the UPC cut off the box), but also, B&H and the local shop offer this camera kit now at MORE than $100 less.

The whole thing is just wrong.

Except Joe with Tempe Camera, who is the only one so far to show genuine character.

Thanks, Joe! I won't be shopping anywhere else.

hi ..I live in perth australia....and still have dealt with B+H photo -video for quite a long while.....and never had a problem....two 320gig wd hard drives turned up today....and next fri a graphic card should be here. and then probably will pick up the nikon biboculars I ordered at the same time....so I 'm afraid it must have been just "luck of the draw"
    I know it is a very popular shop...and they are soooooo busy and sometimes the line is down the street......but I have always had consistent service..I'm probably on my 30th item...hope you give it another try...

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Now I realize that these big, phone/on-line stores are probably reputable 99% of the time, but I still buy all my equipment locally. I guess I'm fortunate that my corner of the country has one long-established pro-center that I've been doing business with for over 20 years.

There are many advantages for me to continue doing so: 1) I can try out equipment first-hand before any money changes hands, 2) the salemen know me and will call me when something unusual has been delivered that I might be interested in, and 3) I never have a hassle about returning or exchanging anything.

I can't imagine spending the kind of money we're talking about without first seeing it and testing it. When I was looking for the hard-to-stock Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, I turned down two before accepting the 3rd. With my 300mm, I turned down at least 3. With my 2x, I turned down 1. Mostly for things like dust inside the elements (Canons are bad for that), stiffness of the focus/zoom ring, loudness of the servo motors, speed of the AF, ...

I know that they know that I know how much equipment costs on-line. So local shops are not that much more expensive these days. Sure I'll pay $25 more on a $1,700 lens so that I can get EXACTLY what I want.

Lastly, I can visit and just talk shop. And that, my friends, is free
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

You make very good points Loupey. I wish I had a place like that close by me. I have an hour drive just to find a dealer who carries something besided P&S and entry level film SLR's. And even then, the store doesn't alway's have everything I want...
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Trust B&H

Quote Originally Posted by siberianpeachpie
    First and Last. I will never buy from B&H again. I carefully researched for a year+ and decided to purchase a Canon Rebel XT kit with EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens.

B&H regrets your dissatisfaction. I reviewed your purchase and am a bit flummoxed. There is no entry in our customer service log for your transaction at all. This indicates you've never spoken to any of our customer service staffers after the merchandise was shipped to you. If you had we'd certainly have arranged an exchange unless you'd already filled out the warranty card or submitted the rebate. B&H is proud of our excellent ratings here and elsewhere and would never jeopardize them over so easily repairable an issue as this.

Thread Information