Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.

Unhappy 1wayphoto-------NO WAY...NO HOW

I had been looking a Nikon 200D for a Christmas present when I stumbled upon 1wayphoto website. The amazingly low price caught (hook, line and sinker) my eye. So I bought the package with the camera body and 18-70 mm lens for a great price. The next day I received a call to "confirm" my purchase and that is when the hard sell started. I was told I would need a battery charger and a larger flash card because the one with the camera was not able to handle the speed of the camera, so in a moment of convenient weakness, I bought.

I began to get that "gut feeling" and started researching 1wayphoto's seller feedback and found all the negative postings, so I sent an email to cancel the order, but I received an email stating the purchase had already been shipped, yet I was not given a tracking number.

I contacted my credit card company and requested the transaction be disputed, but they informed me that charge would have to go through first. (Hum, package already sent out but no charge???) When the charge was posted, I contacted the credit card company and they had no issue with flagging the charge as disputed. I again sent an email to 1wayonphoto and explained I did not want the purchase and it was being disputed by the card company. I never have received a response to this email.

Delivery of the package was attempted but I refused it and returned it to 1way, unopened.
    Today, I received a call from one of the customer service reps wanting to know why the package had been returned. I explained I no longer wanted the camera from their "store", that I was not interested in either a gray market camera or their up selling tactics. He assured me it was not a gray market camera, and he informed me I would be charged $325 for a refusal of delivery fee. I told him they could take up the issue with my credit card company. He became argumentative and I ended the phone call at that time.

I would not recommend anyone do business with this company...I just wish I had done a little more research before I did.

Re: 1wayphoto-------NO WAY...NO HOW

Quote Originally Posted by randy1840
    I had been looking a Nikon 200D for a Christmas present when I stumbled upon 1wayphoto website. The amazingly low price caught (hook, line and sinker) my eye. So I bought the package with the camera body and 18-70 mm lens for a great price. The next day I received a call to "confirm" my purchase and that is when the hard sell started. I was told I would need a battery charger and a larger flash card because the one with the camera was not able to handle the speed of the camera, so in a moment of convenient weakness, I bought.

I began to get that "gut feeling" and started researching 1wayphoto's seller feedback and found all the negative postings, so I sent an email to cancel the order, but I received an email stating the purchase had already been shipped, yet I was not given a tracking number.

I contacted my credit card company and requested the transaction be disputed, but they informed me that charge would have to go through first. (Hum, package already sent out but no charge???) When the charge was posted, I contacted the credit card company and they had no issue with flagging the charge as disputed. I again sent an email to 1wayonphoto and explained I did not want the purchase and it was being disputed by the card company. I never have received a response to this email.

Delivery of the package was attempted but I refused it and returned it to 1way, unopened.
    Today, I received a call from one of the customer service reps wanting to know why the package had been returned. I explained I no longer wanted the camera from their "store", that I was not interested in either a gray market camera or their up selling tactics. He assured me it was not a gray market camera, and he informed me I would be charged $325 for a refusal of delivery fee. I told him they could take up the issue with my credit card company. He became argumentative and I ended the phone call at that time.

I would not recommend anyone do business with this company...I just wish I had done a little more research before I did.
    Sorry to here about another unhappy customer of 1wayphoto. You might want to check out my sticky thread below before you try another order if you haven't already, Jeff

Recommended sites and sites to avoid
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Angry Re: 1wayphoto-------NO WAY...NO HOW

I have a similar experience with them. I am dealing with this process right now. I ordered a Canon 28-300mm IS USM L series lens for my wife. The next day they called to “confirm” the order. They stated that the Sigma Lens was a better lens because Sigma was bought by Canon, and that Sigma makes the digital lenses for Canon. The Sigma Lens listed on their website was $2800. They said they would give it to us for $2000, which was $200 more than the price for the originally lens that I wanted. I had that feeling, but I agreed. Later that day, I called and left messages that I wanted to change it back to the Canon lens. When I finally got a hold of them on the next day, they said they would change it back after already sending it out, but I would have to pay another $200 to get the Canon Lens that has the metal mount, not the plastic mount. I did a little more research, and found the Sigma Lens that they were trying to sell me was $420 direct from Sigma, not the $2800. At this point I am canceling the order because after talking to Canon, Canon stated that never has an L series lens had a plastic mount, they always had metal. Telling this to 1wayphoto, they said that the Canon rep had no idea what he was talking about. Funny that Canon does not know about their products as 1wayphoto does. Also according to Canon, they are not an authorized Canon Dealer. I have contacted my credit card fraud system. Bottom line, they pulled the same scam on me, and now I have to fight to get my money back.:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:
    Last edited by Firegodzilla; 03-03-2008 at 06:50 PM.

My 1WAYPHOTO Experience

I'm in the market for a lens--the Canon 70-200mm 2.8/L IS. These sell in the $1,500 to $2,000 range. On 1/15/2009, 1WAYPHOTO.COM advertised it for $1,199.00.

I decided to purchase it and placed the order. I received an email confirmation with a detailed invoice which had the lens I purchased as expected.

I few hours later, I received a phone message and an email requesting that I verify the credit card information. I called, and a pleasant rep verified everything. He then casually asked me what kind of camera I was going to use it with. I told him, and he acted shocked, saying that I was buying an awful lens for my camera, and he spouted some technical-sounding B.S. as to why. He suggested I purchase a Sigma lens instead (the Sigma lens he was pushing has an MSR of $1,200, and is probably only worth $700. Further, it is a macro lens, not a telephoto like I told the guy I need). He assured me all the pros use the Sigma lens. 1WAYPHOTO listed it as $1,999, and the rep said he'd give me a deal on it and give it to me for only $1,400.

I said no thanks, I'd stick with the Canon lens. In a tone of voice that was rolling his eyes and laughing at me for being so dumb as to buy that lens for my camera, he said fine and politely ended the call.

After that call, I knew their real business model was an unethical bait-and-switch. I wanted to end the transaction and pay more with a reputable dealer, but the invoice they sent me said there was a 7% order cancelation fee. I decided I'd stick with the order and see if they'd send the lens that was on the invoice. I figured that if there was something wrong with it, I'd be able to take it up with Canon.

A few hours later, I received an email saying that the lens was on backorder and wouldn't be avaiable for 3-4 weeks. At that point, I realized that in all likelihood, these clowns probably don't even carry the Canon lens and only pretend that they do so they can sell inferior Sigma lenses for an inflated price. I called up my credit card company, verified they hadn't charged me, and had my card number changed.

glad you got out from underneath that falling piano

thanks for the heads up, ILL stick with B&H

I have had a simuliar incident with 1way Photo. They post items on their web site that are not legitimate products and then when you order it, they make the famous phone call and tell you it is not made for a digital, but for a film camera, and they just want to confirm which kind of camera that you have. I made a quick phone call to Canon and she said there are not 2 lens with this nomenclature. This lens is only made for the digital. Interesting.
    In this episode I learned to pick up the phone and call Canon directly and ask them if this web site is one of their official dealers. You have to dig and find the company address and zip code and Canon will look it up and tell you yes or no.
    I was leary about cancelling the order since their policy states a 7% restocking fee. (Even though the order had not technically gone through yet) I opted to go ahead and receive the 2 lens, costing $135 more that the original order ($35 in insurance ?) and will never order from them again.
    What is sad is that because of their business tactics I will never order from them again. I have myself and 3 other family members that are into photography. Their loss!!!!

Thread Information